MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

WIARD BORG Filters DEMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author WIARD BORG Filters DEMO

beyourdog

The last one: PS3200 resonator is fun...

drumsofd00m

Yeah, lots of fun. The Borg (and Borg II) have a very "liquid" resonance. Not to mention vocal-like. I want to make silly faces and move my jaws around in mimicry of the resonance every time I tweak the Freq knob... involuntarily. ;)

For any Borg II users reading this (1200 series version, not Malekko) - did you ever notice a difference in low frequency energy? My Borg II sound a lot more bass-y/ ballsy than my 300 series Borg. I couldn't say that I like one better than the other tho; the (relative) lack of bass on my Borg I makes it sound more "lyrical" and "acoustic", which is great in its own right.

slow_riot

It's the vactrols... Borg II can do subsonic with ease, Borg I no chance. Probably the different values of resistance in the NSL-32SR3 versus the VTL5C3/2 rather than the speed of response. I like limitations, and I think it does suit the Borg 1 better which is generally more lovely and the Borg 2 is a bit more aggressive.

Great demos btw.

slow_riot

end of the world quad Borg patch.

2 classic VCO pulses.. each one going to seperate heavy resonance bandpass Borgs, then both going into Omni Filter in allpass phaser mode, this multed out to 2 Borgs with a bit more resonance in low pass mode, 1 for each side L and R. Then some stereo reverb (or reverb before final filters)

The kind of patch that will make you dislike all popular musicians as you know you can get better sounds at home, and gradually alienate you from those around you until you give up on all external contact and make friends with machines, only machines. Resistance is futile.

flts

When I do kind of normal bread and butter analogue subtractive type patches with my 300 system, I always get this feeling of a TB303 that has been given superpowers. I've thought maybe it's because of how "liquid" the Borg resonance sounds.

drumsofd00m

^ Don't think so/ probably depends on whether one is more used to listening to clean 303s, or overdriven ones. You should try the 1200 series Boogie... probably the most aggressive, acid-y filter I ever heard at high Q and it would be the complete opposite of the Borgs if it didn't have a very full, mature quality at the same time. Strange designs, them all (strange as in "bafflingly excellent"). I just wish each of them had one more modulation input, like the Omni.

Thanks @slow for the heads up.

slow_riot

you can use 'key in' with an attenuator... or time to get a ModMix ! smile

Mixolator is also fantastic for mixing and automating CV.

flts

I don't think the 303 sounds that "aggressive" clean to be honest. Used to toy with a real one at a friend's studio, owned a x0xb0x at some point and used a lot of Audiorealism Bassline 2 which gets stupendously close to a x0xb0x. It's mostly just... Squelchy?

But yeah, I don't mean to imply that the Borg sounds like the 303 diode ladder filter, just that somehow the whole CVCO + Borg + Envelators combo in certain basic patches brings to mind sort of what a 303 could be like if it was something bigger and more flexible. I don't have a better way of explaining this than the "303 plus superpowers" lol

Still having a mixolator in my "to buy" list... After that and the current controller, the system is complete!

drumsofd00m

flts wrote:
I don't think the 303 sounds that "aggressive" clean to be honest.

That's what I meant; Boogie with high Q can sound a bit like a distorted 303 and the Borgs can sound a bit like a clean/ standard 303 which is pretty soft IMO.
But I agree it's the behaviour and the combination more than the sound itself. The sluggish response of the optos conjures up a bit of resemblance to typical "bubbly" acid sequences when the filters are used with simple AD envelopes as available from the Envelator, because the 303 only had a Decay pot.

drumsofd00m

Curiously enough, I just learned that there's actually a "Borg Mod" for 303s...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/303.php

flts

^- heh, didn't know about that either. and yeah, i get what you mean now, i misunderstood your point before. i've thought about the parallels such as the AD envelope and vactrol type response as well.

plord

I have to be very, very careful about when I allow myself to touch the resonance pots on any of my Borg/Boogie filters. Once that first acid squelch hits I can't control myself. They don't sound like a 303, not exactly, even with a properly programmed sequence, but sweet jesus it's an awesome acid sound.

beyourdog

plord wrote:
I have to be very, very careful about when I allow myself to touch the resonance pots on any of my Borg/Boogie filters. Once that first acid squelch hits I can't control myself. They don't sound like a 303, not exactly, even with a properly programmed sequence, but sweet jesus it's an awesome acid sound.

The resonance on the BORG has to be carefully dealt with, you quickly need to spot the point of resonance because it will just scream and blow your speakers and your head...never seen such an agressive self oscillation on a filter....

thesnow

beautiful. I love my Borgs and I love this Borgs thread!

Envelators next! Keep 'em coming!

beyourdog

thesnow wrote:
beautiful. I love my Borgs and I love this Borgs thread!

Envelators next! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you...though I do not have the Envelator :-)...will do a Waveform city and Mixo...and the sequencer too...

plord

beyourdog wrote:
The resonance on the BORG has to be carefully dealt with, you quickly need to spot the point of resonance because it will just scream and blow your speakers and your head...never seen such an agressive self oscillation on a filter....

Yep, on the Wiard mailing list back in the day, Grant said that full oscillation spat out a 20v point to point wave. Fear its awesome power.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1