IDOW reviewed in tapeop

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, scribble744, s o l v e n t

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

IDOW reviewed in tapeop

Post by stk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:59 pm

Hey,
In case you're not aware there's a review of IDOW in the latest Tapeop mag (#99).

http://tapeop.com/reviews/music/99/i-dr ... -robert-f/

Cheers

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:15 pm

just got to that part last night

pretty cool i thought
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good review.

Bit of a bittersweet comment at the end. Not one that I 100% disagree with, but a somewhat odd statement perhaps.

Smokey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Smokey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 pm

stk wrote: Bit of a bittersweet comment at the end. Not one that I 100% disagree with, but a somewhat odd statement perhaps.
You mean the, "fairly entitled hipsters noodling around with very pricey electronics" comment?

Yeah... kinda pointed

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 pm

That review was a pleasant surprise! Funny, I contacted them early on and asked if they might consider reviewing it and was told no, they don't review films... So it was a nice surprise to find out that it got reviewed in there anyways.

I definitely disagree with his comment about modular music... there's some great music being made with modulars these days - he cites a lack of "innovation and musicality" with modular music... I hear plenty of both coming out of modular musicians these days. I guess my soundtrack music didn't win him over!

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megaohm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:26 am

s o l v e n t wrote: I definitely disagree with his comment about modular music...
I disagree with that, too!
That same thing could be said about every type of music you can think of...
and still be false.
You have to find the stuff.
It's not always served up to you on a plate.
and
it has always been that way!!!
(at least for me :guinness: )
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

alex maiolo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alex maiolo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:14 am

After a second viewing I see where John/Tape Op is coming from.

There has never been another film like this about modular culture. Shouldn't it have shepherded the neophyte through the genre a little more? It would have been nice to give the viewer a primer, I think.

I have other criticisms of it as well. Maybe it's because they are private, but Kraftwerk gets almost no mention. Heck, in the Moog documentary they aren't talked about at all. I don't know why that is. They pretty much invented the genre, as such. The vast majority of electronic artists owe a debt to them, at least indirectly. They are The Beatles of electronic music.

-A

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm

alex maiolo wrote:After a second viewing I see where John/Tape Op is coming from.

There has never been another film like this about modular culture. Shouldn't it have shepherded the neophyte through the genre a little more? It would have been nice to give the viewer a primer, I think.

I have other criticisms of it as well. Maybe it's because they are private, but Kraftwerk gets almost no mention. Heck, in the Moog documentary they aren't talked about at all. I don't know why that is. They pretty much invented the genre, as such. The vast majority of electronic artists owe a debt to them, at least indirectly. They are The Beatles of electronic music.

-A
Not that I mind critiques at all, but my way of looking at a critique like this is: there's a thousand directions that IDOW could have gone in, thousands of people that could have been interviewed/featured/discussed... basically to satisfy every person's idea of what it should have been would be impossible. This is the film we made, so all you can do is take it for what it is. I find it funny yet frustrating that so many people think that just because you have the idea that someone should be interviewed, that automatically you can make that happen. We're just 2 dudes from Canada who decided to make a film, and it's nothing short of a miracle (mixed with some heavy-duty tenacity on my part) that we managed to interview anyone as famous as Trent Reznor, Gary Numan, Vince Clarke, etc. Why don't you go ahead and try to schedule a Kraftwerk interview? Let me know how it goes! (For the record: I did try to contact them, no luck / Anyway, did Kraftwerk even use modulars? They probably did, but it's not what they're known for, and this is a film about modulars, not electronic music & synthesizers in general).

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”