MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anti O,Ulfo, or, Dalek...or?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Anti O,Ulfo, or, Dalek...or?
loudone
I am thinking of adding more modulation/osc potential to my system. I have a vulcan and a 143-1. For vco's i have the rs 95 and a z3000.
I do have a maths, and a vcs is on the way. applause
I also have a PB,geiger, and woggle(which has vco out)
I do wanna go all out malleko/wiard madness so am leaning anti-o but the ulfo is tempting. I LOVe love my vulcan. So a dalek seems natural progression that way. hmmm.....
There is also the AFG..... very frustrating
Audio Resistance
I love my Anti-O and will be picking up another shortly.

I have 2 AFG, a Plan B M-15, and a Hertz Donut and the Anti is one I go to again and again. It is like a oscillator with a built in waveshaper.
johnnymad
+1 for anti-oscillator
porfiry
In my brand new case, I put a z3000, an AO and a uLFO. The TipTop is kind of a solid, stately thing that does its job immaculately. The uLFO is similar in a way, but somehow has a bit more character, with the sine shaping and such. It does, however, top out at 3000 Hz or whatever, and you do indeed hit that ceiling very audibly when you're using it as a VCO and get into some FM and various other uncalled-for modulations.

But the Anti-Oscillator - while it doesn't have all those standard ins and outs, all those typical, comforting waveforms with the little familiar logos like /\/\ and |\ - is simply indispensably juicy. I looked at the waveforms while dicking with it last night, and they look like something generated by either aliens or satan. I think I may have actually heard satan whispering while I was patching this afternoon. I'm just getting into this modular business, but I immediately wish I had about four of them to work with. Sounds like it makes are the reason I got an analoguey hardware-based system instead of continuing on with letdown softsynths.

I like the other two oscs perfectly well, as they do predictable, useful things, but if you're looking to get a little creatively weird right out of the box, get the AO. Or AOeses. Multiple As to the O. And maybe a couple Mathses to whip them up.
Cybananna
+1 more for AO. Very good sounding osc.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
Ive noticed a lot of people saying the AO has an "evil" sounding quality to it.

I believe it was drools that said that as well. Its becoming more and more intriguing!!
Exuviae
For "regular" VCOs, I have two Blacet, but for "other" VCOs, I have the AO and Hertz Donut. Both are strange and unique in their own way and def. compliment any set of "regular" VCOs in a system. Obviously, there is a huge price dif. between them, so that may have to be considered, but either one, or both, are excellent alterna-VCOs.

Since you already have two good "regular" VCOs, the AO seems like a no-brainer - especially given its price point.

The Dalek does sound good, but doesn't offer the same level of oddness that the AO or HD do.
johnnymad
Exuviae wrote:
For "regular" VCOs, I have two Blacet, but for "other" VCOs, I have the AO and Hertz Donut. Both are strange and unique in their own way and def. compliment any set of "regular" VCOs in a system. Obviously, there is a huge price dif. between them, so that may have to be considered, but either one, or both, are excellent alterna-VCOs.

Since you already have two good "regular" VCOs, the AO seems like a no-brainer - especially given its price point.

i agree. i have two blacet vcos and three mfos vcos. they cover all the "normal" vco functions so i decided to get the anti-osc to spice things up.
loudone
And AntiO is in the lead with a no one even close...... eek! No votes for the uLFO
HD =400
2 ANTiO= 500
you guys=priceless
johnnymad
loudone wrote:
And AntiO is in the lead with a no one even close...... eek! No votes for the uLFO
HD =400
2 ANTiO= 500
you guys=priceless

i'd love to have all three but until i win the lottery or find a minimoog in a thrift store, i'll stick with the anti-osc.
porfiry
Well, the uLFO is pretty fucking awesome in its own way...I got all wrapped up in a big silly patch last night with all kinds of cross-modulating FM gibberish. I have no QMMG or VCAs or anything yet, so the sound is basically straight out from the AO and uLFO through attenuators to my preamp. The reedy tones are AO, the round bell-like and French horn-like sounds are all uLFO, putting that crazy sine modulation to good use. Everything is fed a wobbly clock and vaguely random voltages from the Noisering, and the Maths provides plenty of nutty modulations. Ableton provides a touch of gentle low-end fattening and delay. I nervously presenteth the forum with my first decent patch:

uLFOAO

The z3000 is also in there, providing some FM. Awfully handy how that thing provides 1v/oct out as well as in. thumbs up

I also shot a one-minute video with really trebley iphone sound:

wetterberg
loudone wrote:
HD =400
2 ANTiO= 500
you guys=priceless
dude, I hate to say this, but perhaps you should give the reasons why a good think??

It's just been released, hardly anyone has one. Furthermore, some of the ones that have a uLFO (like me, for instance) might not warmly recommend it over the AO or the HD, *only for the reason that I have neither of those two!
loudone
porfiry applause
congrats on the first patch post.
hmmm..... i still have yet to post any patches... sad banana
i especially like the sound at 3.11 alot
hmmm. the ulfo might be what i want.........i need to go listen to some more demos me thinks.

Very good point wetterberg. I didn't think too deeply on the why's of peoples answers so far...there are only a few responses too.
I know Dr octave has the AntiO and Ulfo
maybe he will say hello.
porfiry
Glad you enjoyed it. I had a little more time to actually play on the same patch for a good while this afternoon, and I put up a long clip that does more. It gets rid of some of the shrill and adds more round farty ratchety. It gets more song-like in a few really choice moments. And satan does actually appear.

bleup
mateo
Keep in mind that the Hertz Donut has two oscillators when comparing prices! And in any case, I think they're different enough to warrant getting both smile
opsysbug
ULfo filled a nice hole in the market for a great price. I have SO much
fun making slowly shifting patches and on the other hand the pulse
wave d-d-d-d-d-cool !! Many many cool features.Very solid.
The AntiO was just played for me at Tommy Dogs house the other night
and I ordered it the next day ! It is really a "punk rock" osc and thats what
Euro is about right ? Imagine one of Sonic Youth's taped up torn up beat up
guitars as a Euro synth module and you got it. A mean spitter.
The Z3 has been my workhorse clean sweet beautiful powerful and well
loved. Put a sine tone up there and leave it on all day.
Save your $$ as you'll need all three !!
Soy Sos
Nice tones porfiry!
I don't have an Ainti-Osc od a Dalek (had a Vulcan and sold it a while back)
I'll give a hearty +1 for the uLFO. Although not evile and whispering satan voices all on it's own it is incredibly well made, smartly designed and extremely flexible. Plus it goes sloooooooow as hell and makes a great oscillator. I've only put in a few hours and come up with all kinds of cool shit. It's not made of magic pixie dust or demon lotion but it can easily sound like it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1