MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

E-mu Morpheus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author E-mu Morpheus
richardm123uk
Hi there,

I am picking up a Morpheus in the morning. Just wondering if there are any users on the list who can give me any tips. I hear it is a bitch to edit. Any suggestions on the best editing software to use?

Cheers,
Richard
xpander
i own two UltraProteii, the two synths typically share editors- one of my favorite synths of all time and definitely my favorite digital synth.

the best editor is the antique one that was part of Opcode's phenomenal Galaxy+Editors (a moment of silence to hate on Gibson Guitars). it was and is the opposite of a bitch to edit- easy, well laid out, concise, and well-programmed. i actually keep an extra OS9-bootable mac just to run it, easily a cheaper option that the modern commercial editors.

i've tried Unisyn (not good, terrible UI) and have settled on MidiQuest 10 XL which i run on my OS X iMac. also good for Windows XP/Vista so you should be covered.

enjoy it- they are really, really well designed synthesizers, have stellar modulation matrices, amazingly dynamic function generators and the z-plane filters will give you years of morphing fun.
Kent
Oooh, minor deviation / 'thread hi-jack' (to be returned to your regular programming).

What's your opinion of MidiQuest 10XL? I've been eyeing it for a while, but have heard mixed reviews. I've been on SoundDiver with an OS9 Mac for eons but would like to move on to OSX. MidiQuest XL is a bit expensive and supports about 1/2 the gear that I'd wish to use with it... kinda on the fence about it.
ignatius
is midiquest stable on OSX? i recall reading mixed reviews a while back.

unisyn is not perfect by any means but works pretty well for somethings. but any synth that has a lot of depth to makes for a messy screen fast. also, i find that i get A LOT of drop outs w/unisyn on some synths.

anyway - i've always wondered about those emu synths. messed w/an orbit a long time ago but only for a few minutes.. didn't get into the function generators. even those old ones re full of those features?
xpander
they have the cool function generators- in fact, the UP has more filter types than any other synth Eµ has ever made- that includes the Proteus 2500, 2600 and the software version.

MidiQuest XL 10 is a mess but stable for me. once you learn your way around the *crazy* setup, you have yourself some nice editors, many of which are pretty smart with the layout. i do own Unisyn, those are just thrown together to get you control of parameters without the design effort- you can tell what product MOTU doesn't make any money off of! i have some great screen caps showing the difference between Galaxy's Matrix-1000 editor and Unisyn's, it speaks volumes about the "humane interface". the universal editor is a dead art, Soundtower has the right idea.

the Galaxy editor gives a great overview of the capabilities of the UP/Morpheus:

editing an envelope:

choosing a z-plane filter type:

choosing a sample. one of the coolest features is that the synth lets you exploit the way you access samples- you can loop 'em, reverse them, include the neighboring samples, etc.

setting it up for multitimbral operation. i should've grabbed a screen of the EFFECTS window, too:

switching your patch into Gamelan is as simple as choosing it from a menu:
revmutt
I love the Morpheus.

The Emu stuff was reasonable to edit just ion the screen, at least compared to the 3 big Japanese designers.
ignatius
thanks for posting those screen grabs. and yeah.. unisyn is no money maker for motu. bummer. i wish they'd do one last ditch update and put some freshness in it. just to clean it up.
deastman
I bought a Morpheus new when they were first released. I couldn't get into editing on the tiny display, and I was usually too lazy to fire up Galaxy for a better editing experience. It therefore remains neglected in my rack even after all these years, relegated to a slight curiosity of a preset machine. d'oh!

Still, its a cool module. Go for it! Rockin' Banana!
Chuck E. Jesus
the Emu X2/3 soft samplers have user programmable Z-Plane filters...
richardm123uk
I am loving the presets (not got into editing it yet), it seems to sit really well in the mix. Definitely going to get an editor for it.
xpander
deastman wrote:
I bought a Morpheus new when they were first released. I couldn't get into editing on the tiny display, and I was usually too lazy to fire up Galaxy for a better editing experience.

with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, software editors for 1U synths are a *must*... they're usually about 100x faster than navigating the UI.

here's a look at the same "sad carnival" patch on MidiQuest XL 10. note that the function generator is really well put together:

bottom of that same window:

an editor for my 1U's and more:
deastman
xpander wrote:
deastman wrote:
I bought a Morpheus new when they were first released. I couldn't get into editing on the tiny display, and I was usually too lazy to fire up Galaxy for a better editing experience.

with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, software editors for 1U synths are a *must*... they're usually about 100x faster than navigating the UI.

here's a look at the same "sad carnival" patch on MidiQuest XL 10. note that the function generator is really well put together:
Yes, that is a much better editing experience. I've looked at MidiQuest before, but I'm still not sure its worth the extra time/effort/expense. I have so many other synths to choose from, I suppose I'm content to have my Morpheus more or less remain an interesting preset box.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1