MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what kind of cable is recommended for DIY banana cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author what kind of cable is recommended for DIY banana cables
wednesdayayay
the title says it all
What kind of cable should I be looking to get to make my own banana cables. The last time I got banana plugs to make cables I just got any old cable and while it works there has to be something better.
Thanks
Paul
dmitri
Cal Test PVC, 13 AWG from :
testpath.com
Dirty_Bill
Bummer there's not much break on this in quantity...
lintfresh
dmitri wrote:
Cal Test PVC, 13 AWG from :
testpath.com


Thanks for this Dmitri! I've been looking at Mouser etc. but NOPE...

thumbs up
Joe.
My favorite wire is Wet-Noodle, or high strand count silicone wire, floppier the better!
OrganFixer
I bought a capacitor ESR tester kit from Anatek and loved the wire they used for the leads. Below is the information they provided when i asked them what they used. I haven't ordered any yet. I guess I will check the other suggestions in this thread before I do. It comes in multiple lengths and colors.

DigiKey, part number W2720R-1000 for 1,000 foot reel. It also comes in black, I believe the part number for that is W2720B-1000.
fracinfrucer
Strange, I have searched for old threads for this very topic and most preferred silicone over PVC (PVC is much cheaper though). Another preferred type I found mentioned was Belden 8899, which is rubber insulated. I plan on trying all three myself since it seems pretty subjective.

I also plan on trying a few different plugs and doing the same sort of comparison. Luckily both wire and plugs for bananas are pretty affordable. Obviously the 1000 feet would be a much larger investment than I was planning, but if that is nice wire, it works out to a really nice deal per foot!
OrganFixer
They sell it in 100 ft lengths also. And in a few different gauges. I'd be interested in your opinion if you ever do your comparison. I am probably going to pick up a roll (100') and see how it works out. Right now I'm just using hook up wire which works fine. I'm assuming the nicer wire is really just for aesthetics. Someone please enlighten me if I am over looking something.
Joe.
OrganFixer wrote:
Someone please enlighten me if I am over looking something.


The higher the strand count the better for patching and longevity of your cable. Every time you flex a cable your causing stress and fatigue.

Wet-Noodle has almost infinite strands (1600) and is definitely the best for repetitive patching. The only downside is it doesn't come in pretty colors waah

There's heaps of High Count silicone wire in pretty colors if you look around though thumbs up
boops
fracinfrucer wrote:
Strange, I have searched for old threads for this very topic and most preferred silicone over PVC (PVC is much cheaper though). Another preferred type I found mentioned was Belden 8899, which is rubber insulated. I plan on trying all three myself since it seems pretty subjective.

I also plan on trying a few different plugs and doing the same sort of comparison. Luckily both wire and plugs for bananas are pretty affordable. Obviously the 1000 feet would be a much larger investment than I was planning, but if that is nice wire, it works out to a really nice deal per foot!


With flat module,silicon wire Will fall on the knobs,PVC Will stand up easier ..
Right yellow bananas silicon,left yellow PVC
fracinfrucer
boops wrote:

With flat module,silicon wire Will fall on the knobs,PVC Will stand up easier ..
Right yellow bananas silicon,left yellow PVC


Great point! I hadn't thought of that. thumbs up
boops
fracinfrucer wrote:
boops wrote:

With flat module,silicon wire Will fall on the knobs,PVC Will stand up easier ..
Right yellow bananas silicon,left yellow PVC


Great point! I hadn't thought of that. thumbs up

Dead Banana
tojpeters
I have been using the ultra cheap banana plugs from Tayda for at least 6 months.
I have found them to work well and be reliable.
If they ever start feeling loose you can adjust them
I have only had to adjust 1.
$.21 each.
I"ve used the black,blue,and red ones.
Black and blue are the same ,red is a swivel design and also has a much smaller wire hole.
I solder the wire to the jack.
I use 14 gauge primary wire from the auto parts store,about $13 for 100 feet.
I just received 100 each of the black and the blue type, I must have made 50 cables so far.
Really happy with the results, I've used my first batch extensivly and they have worked out great.
Cat-A-Tonic
bumpin' this because I've become banana-curious
Cat-A-Tonic
Does anyone know where to get the BugBrand style banana plugs, cables, and jacks?
windspirit
Honestly I would rather know a kind of banana plug that you can solder the cable into. I have used a bunch of the screw-tight DIY cables and they always come loose after awhile.
grilojoe
tojpeters wrote:
I have been using the ultra cheap banana plugs from Tayda for at least 6 months.
I have found them to work well and be reliable.
If they ever start feeling loose you can adjust them
I have only had to adjust 1.
$.21 each.
I"ve used the black,blue,and red ones.
Black and blue are the same ,red is a swivel design and also has a much smaller wire hole.
I solder the wire to the jack.
I use 14 gauge primary wire from the auto parts store,about $13 for 100 feet.
I just received 100 each of the black and the blue type, I must have made 50 cables so far.
Really happy with the results, I've used my first batch extensivly and they have worked out great.


Do you have pictures of your cables? Also, how flexible is it?
farmergedden
tojpeters wrote:
I have been using the ultra cheap banana plugs from Tayda for at least 6 months.
I have found them to work well and be reliable.
If they ever start feeling loose you can adjust them
I have only had to adjust 1.
$.21 each.
I"ve used the black,blue,and red ones.
Black and blue are the same ,red is a swivel design and also has a much smaller wire hole.
I solder the wire to the jack.
.


Glad to see someone else using these. One question, though - before you solder them, are you finding you need to file off some of the anodised-y coating around the hole through the side? I've been hovering a warding file over it, but my 'there must be a better way to do this' sense kicked in, so thought I'd ask.
Scolbio
I've been jabbing them with an awl, I just got a batch and all of them have that fused hole, the last batch I got from them didn't have this issue...
J3RK
I've only done a handfull of these in a bind because I usually just bite the bullet and order more Pomonas, but setting the station to 750F and just heating the hell out of it will make no-clean stick just fine. It takes a couple of tries to get the process right but it will stick as you'd expect (or hope) by just getting it really hot.
FetidEye
I use this wire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-5-Colors-1M-3-3Ft-Heatproof-Low-Resisten ce-Soft-Silicon-Wire-16AWG-Cables-/141805931589

It is really flexible and thick.

These are the plugs I use with them, they feel solid and well made
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bdp-100-bl/4mm-banana-plugs/

The only thing is that they take up a large space because of the side angled wire connection.
farmergedden
J3RK wrote:
I've only done a handfull of these in a bind because I usually just bite the bullet and order more Pomonas, but setting the station to 750F and just heating the hell out of it will make no-clean stick just fine. It takes a couple of tries to get the process right but it will stick as you'd expect (or hope) by just getting it really hot.


Great - superheat it is - nice to be doing this with a piece of metal and not have any plastic / component around to melt on the other end.

I'll try to come out of this without branding myself Mr. Green
J3RK
farmergedden wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I've only done a handfull of these in a bind because I usually just bite the bullet and order more Pomonas, but setting the station to 750F and just heating the hell out of it will make no-clean stick just fine. It takes a couple of tries to get the process right but it will stick as you'd expect (or hope) by just getting it really hot.


Great - superheat it is - nice to be doing this with a piece of metal and not have any plastic / component around to melt on the other end.

I'll try to come out of this without branding myself Mr. Green


hihi Yeah, I kind of roll it so the hole is vertically oriented, wet the iron tip just a little bit so the heat transfers faster, hold it there with solder just inside the hole touching one side. Provided you don't slip and brand yourself, it will start melting into the hole.

Keep the iron on it though still, because at first when it starts melting, it will try to just roll out of the other side, but if you keep it on there, it should stick before that. I do it on cardboard, so it doesn't burn anything else.
nicholasgreen
farmergedden wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I've only done a handfull of these in a bind because I usually just bite the bullet and order more Pomonas, but setting the station to 750F and just heating the hell out of it will make no-clean stick just fine. It takes a couple of tries to get the process right but it will stick as you'd expect (or hope) by just getting it really hot.


Great - superheat it is - nice to be doing this with a piece of metal and not have any plastic / component around to melt on the other end.

I'll try to come out of this without branding myself Mr. Green


Farmergedden, did you ever get this to work? I'm building my first Tayda cables now and even though my iron is up to 750, the solder is not sticking to the post help
nicholasgreen
tojpeters wrote:
I have been using the ultra cheap banana plugs from Tayda for at least 6 months.
I have found them to work well and be reliable.
If they ever start feeling loose you can adjust them
I have only had to adjust 1.
$.21 each.
I"ve used the black,blue,and red ones.
Black and blue are the same ,red is a swivel design and also has a much smaller wire hole.
I solder the wire to the jack.
I use 14 gauge primary wire from the auto parts store,about $13 for 100 feet.
I just received 100 each of the black and the blue type, I must have made 50 cables so far.
Really happy with the results, I've used my first batch extensivly and they have worked out great.


The auto store primary wire hack was a great tip! So cheap. Thank you smile))
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group