MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cables vs. breakout boxes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author cables vs. breakout boxes
mateo
I'm looking for opinions; what are you guys using for connecting your soundcards to your modulars, special cables or a breakout box? I'm not sure what makes more sense, both practically and financially, as the only place I've seen selling cables is charging $12 a piece hmmm.....
wetterberg
Why would you need special cables? Normal patch cables and adaptors work for me. For practical reasons (length being one) I'm considering my options here:
I am planning to buy a 1/4" snake, cut it in half and mount 1/8" jacks to the cut ends; that gives you half the length of the snake, but twice the number of cables.

You're going from 1/4" to what?

EDIT: Ah, you mean the "floating ring" type?
doctorvague
mateo wrote:
I'm looking for opinions; what are you guys using for connecting your soundcards to your modulars, special cables or a breakout box? I'm not sure what makes more sense, both practically and financially, as the only place I've seen selling cables is charging $12 a piece hmmm.....

You don't mention whether you're DIY oriented or what your setup is....
Your breakout box could be a module. You could bring your lines in to the back of a module so the jacks are integrated, or connect to the front of a module using something like DB connector, if that's more practical. If you're on a tight budget you could buy a roll of 18 gauge zip (lamp) cord and make individual cables from that and tie them into a 'snake' with wire ties. There' no audio going TO the modular from Volta that I'm aware of, just CV's, gates, DC voltages, etc. The only audio is coming back into Volta and that's only for calibrating oscillators so zip cord might even work for that too (not sure). Are you going to 1/8"? Zip cord may or might not work with small plugs.

I bit the bullet and bought a 24I/O on ebay, ran a long audiowire (Firewire) cable to it and set it on top of my dotcom system backwards with the jacks facing me. Instant patch bay. Also have plenty of outs to run audio (like loops) from the computer right into the modular at the same time. I'm really happy with this setup, but it wasn't cheap.
Hey you asked Mr. Green
patchdub
i took a multiple panel from bridechamber and wired it like a patchbay but left out the ring. i run a snake from my motu into the patchbay. really happy with this method.
mateo
Yeah, I meant the floating ring types, 1/4" to 1/8". I'm not at all the DIY type, so I was thinking of either buying pre-made cables (at $12 a pop, unless someone knows of a cheaper place), or finding someone to build me a simple module to act as a patchbay (either eurorack or 1U). I think the later would end up being cheaper in the long run, when dealing with more than 8 I/Os, but running cables direct from the soundcard into the modules seems simpler... so I don't know!
mateo
I just email Alex at Ad Infinitum, and his UM410+ is perfect as an interface box, as it does not short the ring to the sleeve, so I think I'm going to go with that!
stevenclements

Either disconnect (or don't solder) the ring on a stereo jack, stick the stereo with the ring attached into the MOTU and the 1/4 where you've cut it off into the desired CV socket.

Or use a jackfield (patchbay), and don't connect the ring in a female socket.

I think the jackfield/patchbay idea is great.... that way you don't need special cables that you have to hunt for. You have a bunch of stereo cables that you connect from the MOTU interface into the jackfield/patchbay

I would have stereo (balanced) female jacks on one side and mono (unbalanced) female jacks on the other... these are wired together leaving the ring untouched. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Steve - just got Volta... want to use it with my 828MKII
julian
Ill see if i cant find a photo of it later, but somone asked me to cut a 4hp euro panel for his setup some time back. I think they were just planning on using the standard cliff jacks, to match their other euro modules.

Hmm... i cant find a photo of the finished item, and it looks like it wasnt 4hp either, but here is their design -

Im sure i did see a photo on this forum of the item in use, but, where - who knows!
Junk Rhythm
via this thread:

Mad Dog
I built a 32 port patch panel for stretta for the 1512 modular which is currently under construction. You can see the progress in the eurorack forum.

Since we were dealing with 2 - 828mk3s, we elected to cut the cables and solder them to the jacks on the panel (or at least the is the plan). That way the 828 can face the correct direction and the patch panel takes care of the jack conversion. Further more, we can locate the patch panel in the rack where it makes the most sense. thumbs up

Nice and clean and it wasn't too difficult to build. However, with that said, the panel shown above is really nice. applause we're not worthy
julian
Junk Rhythm wrote:
via this thread:

Yep, that was the one - thank you.

I seem to remember that i cut two at the time, so there must be another user out there with the same panel also, but i cant be sure of that at the moment.
stevenclements
julian wrote:
Junk Rhythm wrote:
via this thread:

Yep, that was the one - thank you.

I seem to remember that i cut two at the time, so there must be another user out there with the same panel also, but i cant be sure of that at the moment.

That would be me smile
julian
I think Steve/Monobass (the owner of the one in the photo) sold his whole volta system -

Do you find the panel usefull in your setup?

I made a couple for my own euro system years ago, one from my kenton pro2000 (which i found very usefull) and some bus ones to the mixer, but i moved before i really started using them (and had to downsize the huge 8-bus mixer to somthing more sensibly sized!)
stevenclements
that is the plan... integration into the rack... but alas I think I'm going to sell Volta a well. I've installed it months ago and just haven't used it.

:(
Monobass
julian wrote:
I think Steve/Monobass (the owner of the one in the photo) sold his whole volta system -

I made a couple for my own euro system years ago, one from my kenton pro2000 (which i found very usefull) and some bus ones to the mixer, but i moved before i really started using them (and had to downsize the huge 8-bus mixer to somthing more sensibly sized!)

yeah it was a great panel but I'm moving to a new case where everything goes in the front, won't be able to have any bus lines coming out of the back of the case... which is a shame in some ways cos I prefer to keep things tidy.
stevenclements
cases are meant to be modified smile

Monobass wrote:
julian wrote:

yeah it was a great panel but I'm moving to a new case where everything goes in the front, won't be able to have any bus lines coming out of the back of the case... which is a shame in some ways cos I prefer to keep things tidy.
Monobass
stevenclements wrote:
cases are meant to be modified smile

yeah sure, I'm making it myself smile But having cables coming out of the rear or sides isn't suitable in this situation.

As for Volta, it offered me nothing Silent Way didn't.. and SW offers me a lot more besides.
stevenclements
What about a RS232 like connection... on the top smile
Monobass
yeah that wouldn't be so bad smile but to be honest things like the ES3 mean that is redundant also.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1