Cutting rack panel ears

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

matt.patey
Common Wiggler

Cutting rack panel ears

Post by matt.patey » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:05 pm

Has anyone ever tried cutting off the rack mount sections from a piece of rack gear? I want to integrate an Ad Infinitum rack multiple into a custom modular case I made, so that the ears don't stick out the side of the case. Here are some pictures to show how the ears go over the edges of the case: http://web.mac.com/mattpatey/Site/Modular.html (note that the ears from the chopped up frac cases can be easily removed and are there just to hold the AI multiple in place)

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 pm

i dunno. i think it looks cool as is. you might regret chopping down the ears if you ever migrate any of your racks to another case.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 pm

my guess is that a dremel will probably be your best bet, unless you have a go at a hacksaw and a file, which might be a lot of work.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

wooden case mods

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:07 pm

You could use some routed strips of wood (for making picture frames) and screw them to the edges of the case behind the rack ears.
This would maintain the wooden edge and also offer a grooved edge to help you pick it up if you need to move it.
The tough part would be cutting the angles on the framing strips to match the curvature of your case.

Return to “General Gear”