MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anti-Oscillator question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Anti-Oscillator question
Terby
I'm wondering if mine is behaving properly. When I turn any knob -- let's say for example the linear fm from fully ccw to 12 o'clock -- the pitch droops for a second before slowly catching up portamento-style to where it originally was. Doesn't matter which knob (except the actual tuning knobs -- they seem to do what I expect) or what is or isn't plugged into it. Maybe I'm just being a numbskull about something obvious? I am kind of a beginner, and the no-manual thing certainly doesn't help. I do know that it doesn't seem to respond like the videos I've seen of other people tweaking their AOs.
DrOctave
i believe it happens coz you are introduceing modulation. does it do it only from ccw full or from anywhere? mine does the same kinda. its cool but i could be wrong.
jonkull
Maybe this will shed some light...

www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7624&start=10

When you turn the knobs with nothing plugged in you are basically FM'ing the AO with itself.
Terby
thanks for the link. I maybe just need to explore more deeply. And regardless of whether or not mine is perfect, it's fun to use. I do love this module.
dbuyense
From your description it sounds like its working normally to me.
porfiry
That bothered me for a while after I got mine too...it's definitely a little counter-intuitive. What a bizarre and delicious thing this module is. Once you figure out how balance the four tuning/shaping/fm knobs, and start jamming wack voltages into the wave envelope, all kinds of seething organic wrongness happens.

The noisering is the same way, where you don't know what the hell you're doing with it at first. I only finally figured out last night, after having had it for almost two weeks, that an external clock will still affect its clock rate - with adjustability - even when the "clk in" is not engaged. Handy.

Hidden functions rule! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
blungo2
I'm so interested in this module, but i haven't heard any demos that really knocked me out yet. Maybe i just haven't been listening in the right places.

Would love to hear more anti sounds.
opsysbug
I love this thing too !
Ill try to post some vids in the next few days.
blungo2
Yay for vids! applause
dkcg
I really gotta try playing with one of these. I started with no interest, but my curiosity has grown so much... Gotta visit Big City soon n twist some knobs...

Damn Malekko and his ninja techniques!
Malekko
dkcg wrote:
I really gotta try playing with one of these. I started with no interest, but my curiosity has grown so much... Gotta visit Big City soon n twist some knobs...

I got to visit BCM while i was in LA a few months back (next time, hopefully i'll get to meet you Don) MAN what a place!!!
Malekko
I just wrote this in the other anti-osc thread
Hello!
The "wave env" is normalized to the output of the "tri" output. inserting a cable breaks the normalization the "wave env" pot then acts as an attenuator. It controls the "initial wave" shape.
I hope this helps

Also keep in mind the lin and exp are normalized to the "mayhem" output inserting a patch cable breaks the normalization and the pots act as attenuators...well they actually attenuate while not cable is inserted but you get the picture
jonkull
Malekko wrote:
dkcg wrote:

I got to visit BCM while i was in LA a few months back (next time, hopefully i'll get to meet you Don) MAN what a place!!!

I was at BCM on Saturday buying a second Noisering. w00t
dkcg
jonkull wrote:
Malekko wrote:
dkcg wrote:

I was at BCM on Saturday buying a second Noisering. w00t

Two Noiserings seem like a must to really get the full use out of them. I love one slow for melodies and one medium speed for wackiness.

@Josh I'm 20 minutes away from BCM (all the 3 socal modular sellers are within an hour...very bad for my wallet), next time you're in town drop a line. And hurry up with the rest of my Malekko Weasel! Today I decided to save a 6u suitcase and make a Weasel even if I get out of euro at some point. I wants me weasel. thumbs up
suboptimal
I'm very interested to hear how you find having two Noiserings.

Oh, and I'm starting to get sucked into the AO GASoholism, too. My long term plan had a second AFG in some distant future, but now I'm thinking about using that space for two AO's . . . help
jonkull
dkcg wrote:
Two Noiserings seem like a must to really get the full use out of them. I love one slow for melodies and one medium speed for wackiness.

Yeah...Two Noiserings, a clock divider and a quantizer make a good team.
berfmurret
umm. i am wondering about the anti-O compared to the AFG. particularly the waveshaping section. they seem pretty different. so maybe they aren't comparable?

where this is leading.. what if an afg owner got rid of their afg in exchange for a z3000 and anti-o.. they share the same combined hp and you gain some considerable FM super powers.. 8_)
Yohda
Quote:
umm. i am wondering about the anti-O compared to the AFG. particularly the waveshaping section. they seem pretty different. so maybe they aren't comparable?

Yes, not really comparable :

The AFG waveshaper is like a advanced PWM, you have a lot of modulations points (4).

The Anti-O only have one input to modulate the waveshaper, but the result is more extreme. (It's a triple Wavefolder)

Quote:
where this is leading.. what if an afg owner got rid of their afg in exchange for a z3000 and anti-o.. they share the same combined hp and you gain some considerable FM super powers..

Yes, I allready stated that I don't like much the way the AFG sound Fm'ed.

The Anti-O is perfect for FM (for me), I don't have experience with the Z3000.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1