MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[IN STOCK] Serge/4U high quality boats, PSDs, rack ears
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [IN STOCK] Serge/4U high quality boats, PSDs, rack ears
nordlead
UPDATE 23 Jan 2015: Glad that Muff's back up! w00t Haven't been able to post updates in the last weeks:

We finally managed to get our boats manufactured in gorgeous AluNox, aluminum with a specially treated surface, similar to stainless steel. Now more shallow (appr. 2.8" deep) and in regular width and XL. Rounded corners where the panels are mounted and a wider gap for easier insertion. Compatible with existing STS full panels or M-Class. A limited number is in stock

More info: http://randomsource.net/boats

To order please use the randomsource shop

Please DO NOT SEND PMs - mailbox is full and they will not get through - use email instead - thank!

========= ORIGINAL POST:

Matthias (fonik) and I are working on a couple of 4U related ideas, one of which is a high quality, rock solid aluminum boats for Serge (style) panels:

* fits Edelweiss, La Bestia & Co.
    * fits Serge/STS (full) panels
    * fits M-Class + Obelisk
    * no drilling / cutting required
    * optional rack ears
    * 3.5" deep

Unfortunately that sort of quality comes with a price tag. It's too early to post any actual figures and of course the price also depends on how big a production run would be.
As a very rough, indicative guess, however, it doesn't look like the price tag will be below EUR 130-140 per boat (without rack ears, perhaps EUR 160-180 with rack ears).

We realize this is quite a different ballpark compared to BUD boxes, but this is also a different story in terms of quality and readiness to use.

Why bother? I currently have 4 Rox boats for my Serge setup and wouldn't want to settle for less in terms of stability and build quality. However I find 4.5" unnecessarily deep and the 2.5" version very pretty, yet not suited for anything that requires stacking pcbs. (... and there's hopefully another surprise ahead!)

We'll post pics as soon as we have the first prototype ...

Let us know what you think of this - thanks! Guinness ftw!
Reality Checkpoint
Very interested indeed to see what you come up with. I probably will need two.
monstrinho
If you were to do a large enough run of rack ears so that the price came down a bit, I would be interested in 10+ pairs of them. The boat is a really nice idea, but just a luxury I cannot afford (especially factoring in shipping to the States). If a group buy for rack ears happens, count me in.
pickleinn
Intrested
osc1899
Me too, especially for the rack ears.
kollo
I would be interested in rack ears. I'm sure the boats will be top notch tho..
weinglas
Matthias and you are really on fire we're not worthy

If you sell me your M-Panels I might get into Serge and would need one of these with rack ears hihi
opsysbug
I might be interested in one.
hank
I'm interested. M-class is pretty much my limit for soldering but I've hated metalwork since shop class...
sersch
I'm interested in boats that can house more than just one Serge panel – sent you a PM.
sascha.victoria
I would be interested in 2.

I always thought a 6u-ish panel for Serge would be amazing. 1 full size panel + 1 MClass.
Gringo Starr
sascha.victoria wrote:
I always thought a 6u-ish panel for Serge would be amazing. 1 full size panel + 1 MClass.

Now that's a good idea! Hmmm... gonna chew on that for a little while.
sersch
Wow – I am not alone, although my "dream boat" would be slightly bigger: one full panel with space for 1 M-Class panel to its left and 1 M-Class panel to its left. No need to waste space for the "Obelisk" panel, the standard PSD can be mounted inside the boat.

Perhaps it is my desire for symmetry that I like having a full panel being in-between 2 M-Class panels, but I also think that this makes sense from a module arrangement perspective: Imagine an Animal panel with a Dual ADSR to its right and a SEQ panel to its left…
sascha.victoria
sersch wrote:
Wow – I am not alone, although my "dream boat" would be slightly bigger: one full panel with space for 1 M-Class panel to its left and 1 M-Class panel to its left. No need to waste space for the "Obelisk" panel, the standard PSD can be mounted inside the boat.

Perhaps it is my desire for symmetry that I like having a full panel being in-between 2 M-Class panels, but I also think that this makes sense from a module arrangement perspective: Imagine an Animal panel with a Dual ADSR to its right and a SEQ panel to its left…

Yeah, definitely no need for the obelisk! But if you had 3x MClass it found go where it normally does in the full panel zone. Would be cool if the MClass could be mounted on either side. My ideal system would be 2 boats like this.

Personally I think 2 full panels wide is too wide but hey, we 're just spit ballin here.
sersch
I have to admit that the "oblong box" for one standard panel and 2 M-Class panels might look too wide at first glance, but it becomes much more elegant (at least in my mind) if you have 2 of them, connect both with wooden side panels and have the one more distant from you sloped towards you a bit. A bit like a Buchla Skylab cabinet.

Of course this is driven by my setup: 2 standard panels, 4 M-Class panels. I'd buy a third "oblong box" as a reserve for potential future expansion.
anadeji
I'd be in for one with ears.
ModHiisi
Uh huh!
Gringo Starr
I like the full panel and one m-class idea. That would be perfect IMO.
Pfurmel
I think this is a great idea. There is a bit of work to get a BUD enclosure prepared.
Do you plan on using some sort of threaded insert to mount the panels? I have some custom Buchla boats but the one thing I dislike about them is the need to use tinnermann or c nuts. I don't like the thread used on the screws for those nuts as they can damage a panel too easily.

p.s there is a link around here for a company that does the correct size rack mounts very cheap for the serge enclosures, might be usefull.

Barry
modintx
I'm in for 16 of these with ears w00t
nordlead
We are currently looking at a couple of very interesting material alternatives - neither of them are cheap, unfortunately. One of the basic questions is aluminum vs stainless steel. Apart from the weight (stainless steel has roughly twice the weight), the properties of stainless steel seem to be superior in a couple of ways. A stainless steel boat would weigh approximately 1.6 kg / 3.5 lbs - would you guys consider this a con?

Pfurmel wrote:
I think this is a great idea. There is a bit of work to get a BUD enclosure prepared.
Do you plan on using some sort of threaded insert to mount the panels? I have some custom Buchla boats but the one thing I dislike about them is the need to use tinnermann or c nuts. I don't like the thread used on the screws for those nuts as they can damage a panel too easily.

Current plan is to have (welded) threads (M3 to mount the panel, M4 for the rack ears), we'll probably provide the screws as well. No nuts needed w00t

Pfurmel wrote:

p.s there is a link around here for a company that does the correct size rack mounts very cheap for the serge enclosures, might be usefull.

Would be happy to look at that - so far the rack ears prove to be quite a challenge - we prefer a real L-profile, no soft knee/round corner and that seems to be rather expensive and require pretty huge numbers to be made. However it looks like we're getting there ...
ModHiisi
nordlead wrote:
We are currently looking at a couple of very interesting material alternatives - neither of them are cheap, unfortunately. One of the basic questions is aluminum vs stainless steel. Apart from the weight (stainless steel has roughly twice the weight), the properties of stainless steel seem to be superior in a couple of ways. A stainless steel boat would weigh approximately 1.6 kg / 3.5 lbs - would you guys consider this a con?

Personally the weight issue could be a bit of an , well issue...

How do the properties compare in here, would there be a particular point in going for steel instead of aluminium..?
nordlead
ModHiisi wrote:

How do the properties compare in here, would there be a particular point in going for steel instead of aluminium..?

There are a couple of aspects (I'm far from an expert here, but learning from day to day...) - steel is a homogenous material while aluminum (unless it's raw) typically has an anodization layer. Scratches in steel can be polished away with a pad, which doesn't work with anodized aluminum. Steel is nicer to be welded as the surface can be smoothed again afterwards, again anodization makes this difficult/impossible. Steel is stronger in general, making it easier to hold threads, while in aluminum threads are pressed in - if too much pressure is applied and one gets loose, there's little you can do.

None of these aspects are presumably of great relevance here, so it's possible to have a very nice boat in either material. Of course there's also the price angle - depending on material and finish prices differ quite a bit.

We are looking at a number of choices right now and will probably order a prototype this week. hyper
HexEnduction
Are single M-class boats going to be considered? I know you can kinda fudge it by putting an M-class panel in a Buchla box, but it isn't very snug (.5" gap) and it looks like BEMI aren't offering them anymore on the website. A solution for a single M-class would be really helpful, especially at 3.5" depth.
sersch
I have to admit that weight is an issue for me, so I prefer a lighter casing. But I don't care how this is accomplished, i.e. by with aluminum or potentially with thinner steel casing than what we currently see in STS aluminum boats, if it helps to bring the weight down.

Above all, to me the most important thing is that I "need a bigger boat", as Chief Brody said it so well in "Jaws", i.e. something that holds more than just a standard panel, and I'd rather have it in steel than not have it at all.

So I'm keeping my fingers pressed that your plans work out!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3