MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why are synth cases so expensive?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author Why are synth cases so expensive?
bkinsman
I understand something like a goike or lamond costing a bit more but a monorocket, enclave or deopfer case? Why? The sum of the components doesn't even come close to a fraction of what it costs, for what reason are we paying such a premium for a wooden box?
Why is the price so jacked up?
Summa
it's the market... no one's challenging them and there's a LOT of diy options.. just make your "wooden box" and start wiggling
infradead
Economy of scale.

It's not like they make enough of them to make it cheap.
r05c03
Those who can, make one for themselves cheaply. Those that do not pay through the nose. The cost of cases is what initially hold back from jumping in to modular...it seemed crazy, and yet I did not have the means to do it myself. The only reason I am building a system now is that I have something to hold it it in...and uZeus...
infradead
One thing that helped me jump into euro was that my friend offered to sell me a case he had made with some patch cables for a hell of a deal.
shootingtigers
I traded a module for an excellent skiff with Ross Lamond! He's a really friendly guy and I know it's something he does quite often so if you've got any modules you can part with I'm sure he wouldn't mind you dropping him a message... seriously, i just don't get it
Nuuj
Why are instrument speaker cabinets so expensive?
Most of the cost is labor.
negativspace
*edit, reading comprehension fail. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

For the non-handbuilt cases I think economy of scale is the answer. Eurorack is tiny. Growing, but by the standards of modern manufacturing still quite tiny.
AudioFetish
I really don't think that they are that expensive comparatively.

You can pick up a LC6 or LC9 for about the same cost as a single module. I mean a Doepfer lc9 is about £259.00. That's less than an E340 or about the same as a MATHS. For that you get enough room and reliable juice to build a modest euro set up

I don't think that the prices are artificially inflated. It seems making money out of building cases is quite difficult. The is a lot of costs associated with building and shipping large bulky cases. Otherwise more manufacturers would be in the market place.
shootingtigers
AudioFetish

I completely agree, Doepfer cases are a bargain and perfectly good not to mention readily available. I paid around £500 for my monorocket and had to wait 6 months, it was worth it though!
Summa
AudioFetish wrote:

I don't think that the prices are artificially inflated. It seems making money out of building cases is quite difficult. The is a lot of costs associated with building and shipping large bulky cases. Otherwise more manufacturers would be in the market place.

yup I agree and I'm pretty sure at least goike and lamond are doing this for having a lot of love for modulars not really for the big money.

I'm a carpenter and I've made various enclosures for musical instruments, modulars, keyboards and so on and there's only money in it if you do it properly like goike and lamond, with good material and something that will last. People are willing to pay for that when they realize they spent $6000 on a modular and still use 19" enclosures or HEK's.
Summa
to really make my point come through this is just the "control surface" for a Eurorack modular I was involved in making and it's priced accordingly...

AudioFetish
Summa, that is just awesome. applause

I would love to have the time, skills and required tools to build myself a case. I currently have 2 x lc9's on top of a MBC, but it would be nice to have something more elegant.

Although I am not sure I would be prepared to pay serious money for an aesthetic improvement, it would be great to build something custom to fit my needs. I have considered it but it always seems that my initial outlay would be fairly high just to acquire the tools and materials I would need

By the way, who is that on stage, it looks like they are having fun over there?
clarke68
AudioFetish wrote:
I don't think that the prices are artificially inflated. It seems making money out of building cases is quite difficult. The is a lot of costs associated with building and shipping large bulky cases.

Agree. I built my own case and it was still one of the most expensive parts of my modular rig...mostly because of the power supply (Tip Top Zeus).

It's not just Euro either, Buchla & Serge powered boats are expensive too (although a lower percentage of the whole rig than Euro, since their modules are so much more expensive). Actually, the power supply and the enclosure are the costliest parts of most consumer electronics.

Summa wrote:

That is totally rad. we're not worthy
Kodama
It's a thankless job, consider making a $600 module, Vs making a $600 case:

- Shipping a huge case that will hopefully not get damaged in transit

- Being potentially liable for personal and property safety

- Being held accountable by pedantic muffwigglers for just about any issue (noise, tuning, power issues, etc...) that can happen in a system

- Having to ship cases back and forth (possibly internationally) to troubleshoot issues

Etc....

So I would say, have a go at the business if anyone has a way to make cheap cases despite these issues, we will all do the nana dance
It's peanut butter jelly time!
maudibe
Someone want to do flat pack?

i.e. a case you can srew together yourself and a nice power supply in a box that you fit according to the instructions.
Assemby time under two hours.

I think that we could all have a go at building a case (given time and tools) but it is having all the parts avaiable under one roof that would be a game changer .... easy to order without making errors or ommissions and easy to assemble.

Sure this would be a winner thumbs up
leeski
Why do you need a case?
There are plenty of boxes which will fit modular and the power is real simple.
Why would you not be able to afford a case as modules aren't cheap and if you can afford modules then get a case.
There are other synthesizers out there maybe you should go semi??
clarke68
maudibe wrote:

i.e. a case you can srew together yourself and a nice power supply in a box that you fit according to the instructions.

There used to be a product called the "Ghetto Rack" that was exactly that...it was my first synth case:

I got the impression it was something of a loss leader for the guy who was selling them. Nowadays we have the Tip Top Happy Ending Kit, but I miss a stackable solution...
Mungo
Elby has sourced a range of bargain priced hardware thats offered in kits for the user to assemble:

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d39.html
infradead
maudibe wrote:

I think that we could all have a go at building a case (given time and tools) but it is having all the parts avaiable under one roof that would be a game changer .... easy to order without making errors or ommissions and easy to assemble.

addac does something like this

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac901a-angled-frames/addac901a-6 u

they're out of portugal though so you loose the savings depending on where you are.
Multi Grooves
bkinsman wrote:
I understand something like a goike or lamond costing a bit more but a monorocket, enclave or deopfer case? Why? The sum of the components doesn't even come close to a fraction of what it costs, for what reason are we paying such a premium for a wooden box?

Speak to this guy via gearslutz, "Reptil". I've just received a 6u case from him for a VERY good price. I could make one but time isn't on my side.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I've built a couple cases myself. Usually they come to about half of what it would be if I bought the equivalent from monorocket or something similar. Of couse what I make is a little less quality then those. If I were to take that little extra effort and make them perfect they would be closer to 65-75 percent the cost of something "commercial"

They arent making out like bandits, but they are making a profit. You also have to take into acount how many they make and how long it takes. You cant just whip them out of an assembly line like a non-handmade module would be

them rails and little square nuts are more expensive than you think! I bought $100 worth of vector nuts for just one 6u 80hp case!!

If you ignore the cost of the FB2 and etched panels from tragedybysyntax that 12u case probably cost me $500-$600

Of course it took a lot of time, trial and error and a first case that wasnt exactly professional looking
daverj
bkinsman wrote:

Doepfer LC-9 case = €280 (European list price)

vs

Doepfer PSU2 = €100
Doepfer Bus Board = 3 x €30 = €90
Doepfer mounting rails = 3 x €30/pair = €90

That's €280 already, not including power entry, wiring, wood, labor to assemble the box, and labor to wire and test the electrical stuff.

The manufacturers aren't going to sell stuff at cost. So of course it sells for more than the parts and labor involved. And don't forget that the dealers get a big chunk of the final price, just like for modules.

Most of the case and power supply companies are not making much profit at the small quantities they build these things at. They're not made by the thousands in China.

Of course, the cases cost more in countries other than the one they are made in. Shipping costs and import duties add quite a bit.
Christopher Winkels
maudibe wrote:

Back when I was selling MU/MOTM cases they were flat pack, based on the best practices pioneered by a certain Swedish company. Everything was designed to be 100% symmetrical (top/bottom, left/right, front/back) with a single type of fastener for all connections to make it goof-proof.

But even then there is a certain minimum threshold of cost. Doing it with a domestic-core plywood and having to buy the wood, have it CNC'd, packaged and shipped my raw costs were rarely less than $65. And that's before I made a penny of profit. And it was without power supply or wiring loom.
CF3
maudibe wrote:

Was just having this exact discussion with another wiggler the other day. We were brainstorming on how to do a 6U case for about $150. Flat-packed, self assembly kept coming up. Injection molding might be the answer too. There's still plenty of room left in euroland for a cost effective, functional and aesthetically pleasing case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 1 of 13