Boss RCE-10 Opinions?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Boss RCE-10 Opinions?

Post by z3r01 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:44 am

Hey wigglers, so I came across a reasonably priced Boss RCE-10 lately, and I am tempted to pull the trigger on it, solely cos it is cheap, and out of curiosity.

It seems there isn't too much talk about it on the interwebs. I found about 3 demos on YouTube, but they were all guitar demos (and the audio quality of the video weren't that good, so it was kinda hard to hear the effect).

The RPS-10, and RSD-10, seem to gather rather positive reviews. So, I was wondering, is the Boss RCE-10 any good? Particularly interested in any demos of the RCE-10 used together with synths, if you have any to share.

Thanks! :tu:

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have been thinking about the RCE-10 again. Any thoughts on it?

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Weird co-incidence -I just found one of these in a cupboard at work, took it home and hooked it up. I was hoping for a a juno chorus in a box, and although it's not quite there it's very nice. Best used as an auxiliary effect with it's return panned the opposite way from the signal (it's mono). Nice and grainy but not too noisy and pretty solidly built.

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for chiming in abstraktor. :tu:

Interestingly, I was also hoping for a Juno chorus in a box, or at least something that is close, with the RCE-10. Was thinking of adding it to the aux path of my mixer, too. :mrgreen:
abstraktor wrote:...with it's return panned the opposite way from the signal (it's mono).
Anyways, my apologies for being a little bit dense, but I don't quite understand the part about panning the return, the opposite way. Do you mind explaining it? Sorry, and thanks!

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 am

^ It's a way to get a fake stereo chorus from a mono output. I use a small Mackie mixer for some of my synths and stomp boxes. The RCE is hooked up to a (mono) aux send, and it's mono return is connected to an input channel. When I add chorus to a synth via the aux, I pan the synth to the left and the chorus return the opposite way - this simulates what chorus units like the Juno do anyway, and gives some lovely rich modulation.

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 am

Here's a quick demo of the RCE-10:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/174368426" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Chorus come in as mono at 0.16 then panned at 0.48. Various knobs on the RCE tweaked to give an idea of the variations.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 am

If you want a Juno style chorus you should look at the CE1.

I like those halfrack Boss units, can be addicting though! Only have the RRV10 and RBF10 so far, but I like them.

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:41 am

abstraktor wrote:^ It's a way to get a fake stereo chorus from a mono output. I use a small Mackie mixer for some of my synths and stomp boxes. The RCE is hooked up to a (mono) aux send, and it's mono return is connected to an input channel. When I add chorus to a synth via the aux, I pan the synth to the left and the chorus return the opposite way - this simulates what chorus units like the Juno do anyway, and gives some lovely rich modulation.
Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean now. :tu:

Anyways, I think the RCE-10 can be used as a stereo unit. From the manual:

Output Jacks A: Through this jack, effects sound is sent out
+ Two output jacks can be simultaneously used
+ For monaural connection, use the standard phone jack

I have seen some users talk about using it as a stereo unit, hence the assumption that it was a stereo unit. Looking at the connections at the back of the RCE-10, it seems that there is a 1/4" out, and an RCA (I think) out, for output jack A, which seems like an odd choice.

Output Jacks B can also be used simultaneously, but that is the effect sound with the inverted modulation Output A.

Thanks for the demo too abstraktor! It actually sounds pretty decent to me. Truly appreciate the help with the explanation, and the demo! :tu:

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:50 am

flo wrote:If you want a Juno style chorus you should look at the CE1.

I like those halfrack Boss units, can be addicting though! Only have the RRV10 and RBF10 so far, but I like them.
Yeah, the CE-1 sounds good, but I think it is going for around USD$400-USD$600? A little too pricey for me. Hehe. :mrgreen:

The main reason why I am looking at the RCE-10, is because I have a source here, and they have some new-old-stock RCE-10s, which they are selling for around USD$47. I thought I might just give it a shot, since it is cheap, and was secretly hoping that it would sound somewhere like the Juno chorus. Of course, we all know that that is just wishful thinking on my part. :mrgreen:

You are definitely right about the Boss micro rack series. I heard demos of the RPS-10, and the RSD-10, and I thought they sound pretty good, and the onboard modulation is another big plus.

pacific202
Common Wiggler

Post by pacific202 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 am

For $47 NOS why not take the chance?

One alternative to consider is a Boss SE-50 or SE-70 if you're looking for a wider variety of effects with a similar tonal quality.

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:03 am

pacific202 wrote:For $47 NOS why not take the chance?

One alternative to consider is a Boss SE-50 or SE-70 if you're looking for a wider variety of effects with a similar tonal quality.
Haha yeah, the price is a minor factor in my decision-making. The main thing is that I just wanted to be sure that the sound would fit my purposes, cos I don't wanna end up buying it, and not using/not liking it. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll have a look at those too. :tu:

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:24 am

At $47 for a NOS RCE-10 I'd buy two!

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am

abstraktor wrote:At $47 for a NOS RCE-10 I'd buy two!
I have to admit, it is rather tempting, and that idea did cross my mind.

I think I am most probably going to get one (first), all thanks to your demo. There is something about the RCE-10 (in your demo) that I cannot quite put my finger on, but it sounds rather appealing to my ears. Thanks again for the great help, abstraktor. :guinness:

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Out of curiosity I obtained an RCE-10 for a short while and although it delivers a good chorus sound typical of Boss/Roland, it was soon sold again. But that's because I have the similarly digital Boss SE-70, Roland SDX-330 and RSP-550. To my ears and tastes it didn't offer anything significantly special or different from those units.

Having said that, at USD $47 each as NOS (boxed?), and providing they come with the PSU, I would be tempted to buy the lot and sell them over the bay and double your money at least. Keep one back if you really like it.

Although harder to find now, maybe use the takings toward investing in an SDX-330, RSP-550 or SE-70?... in that order.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:59 pm

No doubt. A beat used one goes for almost twice that. Score and check it out. That is 1/3 of what a Boss Chorus pedal is these days.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:20 am

wiperactive wrote:Out of curiosity I obtained an RCE-10 for a short while and although it delivers a good chorus sound typical of Boss/Roland, it was soon sold again. But that's because I have the similarly digital Boss SE-70, Roland SDX-330 and RSP-550. To my ears and tastes it didn't offer anything significantly special or different from those units.

Having said that, at USD $47 each as NOS (boxed?), and providing they come with the PSU, I would be tempted to buy the lot and sell them over the bay and double your money at least. Keep one back if you really like it.

Although harder to find now, maybe use the takings toward investing in an SDX-330, RSP-550 or SE-70?... in that order.
Yeah, that did cross my mind, but the last I checked on eBay, there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for the RCE-10. I have seen a few posted up, but the listing does seem to be there for quite a period of time. Then again, I could be wrong, and a NOS might have better chances, as opposed to a used one.

MindMachine wrote:No doubt. A beat used one goes for almost twice that. Score and check it out. That is 1/3 of what a Boss Chorus pedal is these days.
I am checking with them to make sure that they are indeed NOS, and that they are working. Gonna see how many units they have, too. I might offer it at a lower price to wigglers, rather than on eBay. Hopefully, it goes well. :mrgreen:

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 am

Update:

I purchased one of the Boss RCE-10 today. It really is NOS. It came with the original box, and the original contents (manual, old Boss stickers, feet etc.). No adapter was supplied, but I have a spare anyways. Other than the slight yellowish tinge of the box, manuals, packing styrofoam, the actual unit itself is flawless, and is brand new.

I powered it up, and it works great. This is my first chorus effects box, so I was not expecting too much from it. I was running some sounds from the modular into it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I never thought I would actually like a dedicated chorus effects box. :party:

Anyways, I paid a little bit more for it, as there was a slight miscommunication on my part. That USD$47 one was working, but had some issues with the outputs (I think it was a bit noisy). The rest of the RCE-10s were working great. Still, really worth the money.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to this thread, especially abstraktor! :tu:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Sorry to jump in with my items to sell but I have a boss half rack with the power supply, reverb, chorus, compressor and power racks in the original half rack frame. I need to seek it really as its not as used as it should be.

I'm open to convincing I should keep it and make use of it properly! :tu:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Nice one z3r01! There's something about that Boss chorus that I really like too-it's the only dedicated chorus I have (apart from the one in my RE501-which isn't as flexible). Grainy and a bit lo-fi but very useable.

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 am

abstraktor wrote:Nice one z3r01! There's something about that Boss chorus that I really like too-it's the only dedicated chorus I have (apart from the one in my RE501-which isn't as flexible). Grainy and a bit lo-fi but very useable.
Yeah, I like the lo-fi quality of it. I was running chords from the ShapeShifter module (slightly FM'd, and modulating the shape), through the RCE-10, and really enjoying what the RCE-10 is doing. The onboard EQ is decent for my needs too.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:30 am

I think just the delay part is digital, and it's 12-bit, so not the same as the SE-50/SE-70.

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:53 pm

IR wrote:I think just the delay part is digital, and it's 12-bit, so not the same as the SE-50/SE-70.
Ah ok ok, good to know, cos the manual does not state which components of the RCE-10 are analog, or digital. Was quite surprised to find out that the RCE-10 has a compressor in it too, based on the schematics on top of the unit. Lovely little box.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:52 am

z3r01 wrote: good to know, cos the manual does not state which components of the RCE-10 are analog, or digital.
Why? What I wrote may not be true if you remove the "I think". And why would it matter anyway?

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:26 am

IR wrote:
z3r01 wrote: good to know, cos the manual does not state which components of the RCE-10 are analog, or digital.
Why? What I wrote may not be true if you remove the "I think". And why would it matter anyway?
:huh: :hmm:

Maybe you mis-read, or misunderstood, what I typed?

I didn't know what the bit-rate of the delay was, and certainly didn't know that parts of the unit may have been digital/analog. So, when you mentioned that you 'think just the delay part is digital, and it's 12-bit', all I said was, good to know (in a trivia sort of way), cos the manual didn't go into specifics about things like these.

Also, if you re-read the whole thread, I believe I did not in any way mention/implied that specs were of importance, or 'mattered', to me. So, not sure where you are getting that impression from. :despair:

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:51 am

Actually I'm pretty sure it's 12-bit, as you probably also know if you used any search engine to research this unit.

The part about the modulation was a guess based on the technology used then, not a fact. You shouldn't believe everything you read on forums.

Boss Area

Return to “General Gear”