MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dual Noisering Demo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Dual Noisering Demo
jonkull
Someone asked about this in another thread. If it doesn't belong in this sub-forum feel free to move or delete it.

Two Noiserings, two Anti-Oscillators, Borg, Boogie, two Maths, HertzDonut, A156 Quantizer, A160 Clock Divider, QMMG. The Noiserings run through the A156 and control the pitch of the two Anti-Oscillators and the triggers for two channels of one Maths. Clock out from one Noisering is multed to the other Noisering and the A160 Clock Divider. A160 provides the triggers for the second Maths which controls the kick/hats made by the Hertz Donut. That's more or less it. Recorded in one pass.

It's nothing spectacular...just showing how the Noisering can be used as a sequencer of sorts. I guess it also shows what the Borg, Boogie and Anti-Oscillators sound like in a somewhat musical context as well.

http://recoilsun.bandcamp.com/track/dual-noiserings

Time for bed...
Bricks
verynice
jenamu6
Damn.......now I have to buy another blinky blinky noisering.

Very nice, thanks for sharing
Roycie Roller
Awesome recording!
I tend to use my noise ring mostly as a sequencer too. I've put a switch where the jumper on the pcb is which allows you to switch between normal operation & recirculating inverted data.. basically it's 2 types of Noise Ring, & lots of fun to switch between the two as it plays.
(i'm not sure if the jumper's on the Malekko version)
jonkull
Thanks guys.

The Noisering is the first module I've owned that isn't an oscillator or envelope that I felt I needed two of and actually bought a second. To be honest I've been really happy with all the Malekko modules so far.

There's a jumper and a 16 pin connector on the back of the Malekko Noisering though I don't know if they do the same thing as the Wiard version. I'll have to play around with it...
suboptimal
Thanks for posting this. The AO has a really nice tone.
jenamu6
Jumper?

Yo Malekko what's up with that?
Roycie Roller
jonkull wrote:

There's a jumper and a 16 pin connector on the back of the Malekko Noisering though I don't know if they do the same thing as the Wiard version. I'll have to play around with it...

The 16 pin socket is for expansion. I'd guess the jumper is the same as the one on the originals. If it is,
here's a photo showing how to replace the jumper with a switch (should be the same for the Malekko version).

jonkull
So what exactly does that jumper do?
Roycie Roller
In one position you hear the Noise Ring operating as normal.
This is a great description of what's actually happening in the NR (i think written by Dr. Mabuse, posted by Babaluma in the Wiard 1200 series info thread)

"The Wiard N.R. uses analog noise at a basic source point in it's algorithm, but never directly. This noise is never sampled by an sample/hold circuit, in fact there are no sample/hold circuits in the N.R and this is a fundamental distinction. (It will help to consult the N.R. block diagram, at this point) You may already know how a shift register works but for anyone who doesn't, i'm going to use the analogy of a conveyer belt with room for 8 people....

In the N.R., analog noise is used to tickle the threshold of a comparator, the comparator flips on and off producing either 'someone' or 'no one'. depending on the state of the comparator. This person/non-person stands OFF the conveyer belt waiting for a signal. The signal comes from the clock. The clock is also a 2-state device. We'll call them 'tick' and 'tock'. Remember that the clock is not steady. It varies with a CV. This is important. When the clock is in a 'tock' state , nothing happens. The conveyer belt doesn't move and no one steps on. The N.R.'s output is static. But when the clock switches to "tick" the conveyer belt moves one step and if the comparator was tickled to it's 'someone' state, someone steps aboard. If it was in 'no one' state the conveyer moves one step with an empty place. On the next tick the conveyer lurches forward and if anyone was in the last (8th) position they get dumped off. Another thing happens at each tick, the DAC takes a snapshot of the pattern of occupied and unoccupied places on the conveyer, and based on that pattern it sends a voltage to the output, a different voltage for every different pattern, Thus as the two devices, comparator and clock, go on flickering , the conveyer gets loaded with different patterns that SHIFT on each tick. This cycling of patterns is the heart of the N.R.'s method, and this is very close to the classic function of a digital shift register.

But there are some twists! And one of the more brilliant twists that Grant conceived is depicted in the block digram by the line marked 'old data' feeding the "solid state switch' . This is controlled by the 'Change' control. As the 'Change' control vector decreases, the chances INCREASE that the passenger who was just dumped off the end of the conveyer will get another turn and move right back to the front of the conveyer again and prevents any 'new' passengers (from the flickering comparator) from boarding. The effect of this is a 'circular' buffer wherein the pattern repeats ad infinitum until 'new' passengers are re-introduced by increasing the change control. At slow clock rates this results in cycling patterns. At audio clock rates the effect is a clearly discernible pitch. The wonderful thing about this is that the change control vector is continuous and thus, at audio frequencies, random audio (noise) will start to organize itself into a pitched tone. The 'between states' are sublime (to my perverse ear, anyway) and if you descend into chaos again , when you morph to pitch the next time there's no guarantee that you'll get the same wave as before. Please forgive me for editorializing, but the resulting patterns are exquisite!!! i'm sorry to confess my fetish, but that's just the very definition of my personal idea of a good time!"

In the other position, i think (but not totally sure) the jumper inverts the 'passengers' on their way back to being re-fed through the Shift Register.
Switching between the two as the NR runs gives you a mix of sound at the outputs at audio rate. As cv's, they are much more complex patterns.

You don't even need to wire a switch to try it, just change the jumper position.
jonkull
I played around with the jumper this morning before I left for work and there wasn't a very noticeable difference between jumper positions. I'll have to spend more time with it later.
newgreyarea
Nice! I get my A156 Monday and can't wait to run the Noisering thru it! I'm really wanting an Anti_Osc!! GIMME GIMME GIMME!!! . . . . but alas not till after NYs!
Nice track! Thanks for sharing!
-b
3vcos
Thats a damn fine demo. Actually I wouldn't call that a demo, its just some really nice music and thanks for that!

I think that piece also gives people an idea of how nice the Anti-Oscillator sounds. Beautiful rick timbres. Thanks!
jonkull
Thanks guys.
J3RK
Nice demo! I'm basically switching formats to build a setup very similar to what was used in your demo. I've owned the Wiard versions in Frac format of most of them, and miss them a lot. I've got a few demos of my dual NoiseRings laying around here somewhere.
futureworlder
Your NoiseRing demos were what pushed me to finally pick one up all those years ago; IIRC there were some pretty incredible examples.

I've since gone looking for them on modsynth, but the links were dead. If you could repost or even upload here (no hosting necessary!) that would be dope. nanners
grantrichter
Everything is where it always was, I just removed the "front door" links.

I think this is what you are referring to?

http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/1210.html

Cthulhu

futureworlder wrote:
Your NoiseRing demos were what pushed me to finally pick one up all those years ago; IIRC there were some pretty incredible examples.

I've since gone looking for them on modsynth, but the links were dead. If you could repost or even upload here (no hosting necessary!) that would be dope. nanners
futureworlder
yes sir, thanks for that Grant! I just spent a few minutes listening to all of those samples again and I'm already fiending for another NR now. oh and a AO/ Boogie/Borg set to join them.

<Stupid question>, but assuming these are the original circuits, would they survive on a Blacet PSU? I'd like to fill the top half of a 6U Monorocket case but will most likely have to wait at least a few weeks due to their backlog, but I COULD just mount these in my Frac cabinet until then. Assuming the only hurdle is the connector cable/ header pinout, or is it trickier than that?</Stupid question>

grantrichter wrote:
Everything is where it always was, I just removed the "front door" links.

I think this is what you are referring to?

http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/1210.html

Cthulhu

futureworlder wrote:

J3RK
Here is the thread with the old ones that I did as well:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509&highlight=j3rk

I reuploaded the ones that weren't hosted here.
jonkull
Some of those demos helped me decide if I needed a Noisering. There were a couple that were still working a few months back. I love the Noisering.
J3RK
It's one of my favorites. I'm huge fan of pitched digital noise too. So both this and the Zorlon Cannon are great. (the Modcan VCDO was nice for this too) Can't wait to get my hands on a pair of Noiserings again.
visible cow
Just had to resurrect this thread to say I absolutely love this track. I'll be ordering a borg and noisering this week. Rockin' Banana!
3vcos
+1
This track rocks. I fine example that all these crazy modules can make some beautiful music.
jonkull
Thanks guys!
jeannot
I love the ability to control just how "musical" or "non-musical" the NR gets. There are so many sweetspots it's amazing. Great track.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1