MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What Doepfer modules will run on 15V?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author What Doepfer modules will run on 15V?
doctorvague
Title says it. I swear I saw a list somewhere, but damned if I can find it. Probably right on Doepfer's site, but I haven't had any luck or maybe I scrolled right past it. I've got 5V available too from my PSU, so the cable would be the only issue. I have a MOTM 950 distro board that has MOTM 6 and 4 pin and dotcom connectors in a mostly dotcom system.

I have a few Doepfer modules left over from a Euro system and wouldn't mind converting them to 5U. If converting isn't too big of a headache I'd consider picking up a Doepfer module here and there used as I do miss some of the switching/divider modules that I had, especially if 2 or 3 could be ganged up in one panel.
TIA
Phil
dbuyense
Also remember seeing that list somewhere here recently.
I remember for sure all the doepfer products that contain a cem chip are out.
The list said that cem chips will be damaged at 15v.
MrDys
Quote:
These modules will be damaged with +/-15V supplies: A-106-6, A-107, A-109, A-122, A-126, A-127 (old version), A-129/2, A-130 (old version), A-131 (old version), A-134 and A-135. These modules use the Curtis chips CEM3381, CEM3382 or CEM3379. The max. supply voltage allowed for these integrated circuits is +/-12V. A +/-15V supply will destroy the (very expensive) CEM circuits ! The new versions of A-127, A-130 and A-131 (all manufactured from ~2001) use CA3080 or LM13700 instead of the CEM circuits and will run with +/-15V without problems. Even the old versions of the modules A-148, A-150 and A-151 will not work with +/-15V. These modules may be damaged with +/-15V supplies too but the parts that may be destroyed (CD4052 or CD4053) are much cheaper than the expensive CEM chips. The old version of A-148 was manufactured until end of 1998, the old version of A-150 until summer 2004 and the old version of A-151 until spring 2005. The old versions of these modules can be identified by the type of electronic switches: in the old versions CD405x were used (CD4052 or CD4053), in the new versions DG4xx are used (DG409 or DG442 in the A-148, DG409 in the A-150 and A-151).


From the Doepfer FAQ.
fonik
dbuyense wrote:
Also remember seeing that list somewhere here recently.
I remember for sure all the doepfer products that contain a cem chip are out.
The list said that cem chips will be damaged at 15v.

if you have an old high end VCO with CEM3340 (A-111-1) it will work fine with +/-15V. some CEMs can handle +/-15V, some not) see quote above.
doctorvague
MrDys wrote:
Quote:
These modules will be damaged with +/-15V supplies: A-106-6, A-107, A-109, A-122, A-126, A-127 (old version), A-129/2, A-130 (old version), A-131 (old version), A-134 and A-135. These modules use the Curtis chips CEM3381, CEM3382 or CEM3379. The max. supply voltage allowed for these integrated circuits is +/-12V. A +/-15V supply will destroy the (very expensive) CEM circuits ! The new versions of A-127, A-130 and A-131 (all manufactured from ~2001) use CA3080 or LM13700 instead of the CEM circuits and will run with +/-15V without problems. Even the old versions of the modules A-148, A-150 and A-151 will not work with +/-15V. These modules may be damaged with +/-15V supplies too but the parts that may be destroyed (CD4052 or CD4053) are much cheaper than the expensive CEM chips. The old version of A-148 was manufactured until end of 1998, the old version of A-150 until summer 2004 and the old version of A-151 until spring 2005. The old versions of these modules can be identified by the type of electronic switches: in the old versions CD405x were used (CD4052 or CD4053), in the new versions DG4xx are used (DG409 or DG442 in the A-148, DG409 in the A-150 and A-151).


From the Doepfer FAQ.


That's the one - thanks guys!
Phil
Reptil
fonik wrote:
dbuyense wrote:
Also remember seeing that list somewhere here recently.
I remember for sure all the doepfer products that contain a cem chip are out.
The list said that cem chips will be damaged at 15v.

if you have an old high end VCO with CEM3340 (A-111-1) it will work fine with +/-15V. some CEMs can handle +/-15V, some not) see quote above.


Would running this osc on +/- 15V change (improve) the sound?
Did you try?
thanks!
fonik
unfortunately i don't own a 3340 - but i took a look at the datasheet...
Reptil
It should work, looking at the specs. but...
I'm going to ask Dieter first though... LOL
do not want magic smoke! ambulance
fonik
at least the Digisound 80-2 VCO and the E&MS Spectrum Synth VCO power the 3340 from +15 to -15V. it workes fine. i would not know how you could do harm to your IC then.
however, i understand you hesitating, since the 3340 is almost unobtainable today.
dude
i think the pll can run off of 15v. isn't that all that matters? hihi
doctorvague
dude wrote:
i think the pll can run off of 15v. isn't that all that matters? hihi


That is one cool module. Wish I'd have kept mine. And wish I'd understood it fully. It had a mind of its own.
dude
doctorvague wrote:
dude wrote:
i think the pll can run off of 15v. isn't that all that matters? hihi


That is one cool module. Wish I'd have kept mine. And wish I'd understood it fully. It had a mind of its own.


selling a pll? blasphemy!
neandrewthal
dude wrote:
i think the pll can run off of 15v. isn't that all that matters? hihi


Yes!

Wait, what the hell am I doing in the Euro section? Dead Banana
metasonix
Metasonix R modules will run on 15v, you just need to add 15-20 ohm dropping resistors so the tube heaters are running at lower voltage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group