MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hooking it all Up....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Hooking it all Up....
Mojoman
Okay.....I finally received most of my modules - my first modular synth is coming together. Here is my issue....how do I hook it all up?
I have a Synthbox Spacecase that I got for a great deal.....it came with daisy chains.....19 connectors on a grey cable with a red line at the top.

I have Doepfer, Livewire, Plan B, and Cwejman modules.....am I correct that I lone up the red line on the daisy chain with the red lines on the Doepfer, Plan B, and Livewire gear, but the opposite for the Cwejman module?

I am scared I will blow this all up!

Also on the daisy chain there are female connectors, the same as the modules. I am assuming the duel male plugs I received with everything connects the two female plugs together?

Thanks!!!!
sgnhh
It's red line to red line. Specifically, look where the connectors are plugged into on the module. The red line should match up with the -12V. If you look at the connectors inside your case, the red line should also match up at the -12V. Just make sure it's on straight and you are good to go.
consumed
NO

your cwejman red line is NOT the same as doepfer!
check your documentation you received with your cwejman module.
the red line is reversed for cwejman.
you might damage your cwejman module if you plug it in backwards.

(stupid that there would be two different opposite ways to do that with euro)
consumed
Mojoman
Thank you so much for the diagram......
The Plan B, Livewire, and Doepfer are red to red though?
Mojoman
Okay.....I am still confused here (SORRY d'oh! )
Here are pics of the cable and these adapters that came with the space case. The adaptors are long on one side and short on the other, so they only plug into one side. Some of the Doepfer modules wont let the fully 16 space cable fit, only a 10.....what do I do?????

consumed
well, i know nothing about the space case, except for whats on the ear-group page. http://www.ear-group.net/spacecase.html

Mojoman
I still cannot figure it out and I am afraid to experiment.
I emailed the maker and Shawn at AH, but no responses yet.
Blah....this stinks!
consumed
you should take a picture of the spacecase power distribution board.
are the connectors on the spacecase board male or female?
are the adaptors just for extending your powercables in case they are too short?

btw the spacecase page says there is some protection against plugging in your modules wrong, so maybe that would ease your mind a little.
futuresoundsystems
This is why I'm reluctant to go Euro for my own system, it requires a lot of double checking.

Mojo, give Shawn at AH some time. From my experience he's a little late with emails, but once he sends one, he usually sends about 5 in reply after that at once.
Mojoman
Thanks guys.....I will take pictures tonight.
The cable provided is a daisy chain its seems to me. It is two long lengths with 19 female connectors attached.
REwire
You shouldn't be removing the cables from the actual modules and trying to plug the daisy cable into the module itself. Many modules I have used don't have the 12v clearly marked and may have the module siode of the ribbon coming straight out or flipped around.

Leave the cables on each one and use the male to male adapters for every one and all ends will be 16 pin and just line up the red lines and opposite for Cwejman.
Mojoman
Thanks for the help ReWire....this is exactly what I thought I should do, but the male to male adaptors are strange. The connectors are shorter on the bottom than on the top....so they only connect strongly one way. Any ideas why that may be?

REwire wrote:
You shouldn't be removing the cables from the actual modules and trying to plug the daisy cable into the module itself. Many modules I have used don't have the 12v clearly marked and may have the module siode of the ribbon coming straight out or flipped around.

Leave the cables on each one and use the male to male adapters for every one and all ends will be 16 pin and just line up the red lines and opposite for Cwejman.
Cat-A-Tonic
Those are the same male to male connectors that they use for connecting 2 PCBs together via ribbon cable.
The shorter pins are soldered to the PCB.
Maybe noone makes one with equal length pins on either side.
wwbjd
Shawn @ AH is a great guy. He's been a tremendous help to me since the fire and helping replace my stuff (answering questions etc!) -- He'll get back to you!
sandyb
imho the power cable red line thing is the weakest part of the whole eurorack system. it's so much easier (or seems to be) to get wrong and potentially release the magic smoke from a module than the other formats i use.
here's what i do to minimise the risk. i bought a Plan B Model 1 - $40 iirc. this is a small power distribution strip with built in protection for plugging modules in the wrong way. when i get a new module i do all the checks i can - pcb, manufacturer's website etc- but i always plug it on via the model 1 first. if everything goes ok (it has so far) i know i've got everything ok and can plug into the main doepfer busboards i use. if the model 1 trips - oops try again but no module damage. $40 worth spending when you're talking about $200+ modules.
Mojoman
I like this idea a lot....I think I may have to do this! d'oh!

sandyb wrote:
imho the power cable red line thing is the weakest part of the whole eurorack system. it's so much easier (or seems to be) to get wrong and potentially release the magic smoke from a module than the other formats i use.
here's what i do to minimise the risk. i bought a Plan B Model 1 - $40 iirc. this is a small power distribution strip with built in protection for plugging modules in the wrong way. when i get a new module i do all the checks i can - pcb, manufacturer's website etc- but i always plug it on via the model 1 first. if everything goes ok (it has so far) i know i've got everything ok and can plug into the main doepfer busboards i use. if the model 1 trips - oops try again but no module damage. $40 worth spending if you're talking about a $200+ modules.
Mojoman
Well...Shawn e-mailed me back....he has no idea and admitted that he is not too fond of this type of system.
So back to square one......Noisebug and EAR have not gotten back to me yet.

Cat-A-Tonic - is there any way to make the two male sides connect snuggly?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1