MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Does anyone use modular with an EWI?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Does anyone use modular with an EWI?
ben_hex
Curious to know if anyone is using an EWI to control their modular?

This is what I'm on about for those that don't know the EWI -
http://www.akaipro.com/product/ewi4000s

It's a wind controller that spits out midi for lots of expression.

Knowing a very good player (Sax / Clarinet / Trumpet [not wind I know] etc etc) who has recently got one the options for controlling the modular with masses of modulation from things like breath (got to figure out what midi CC number that is to the most of it) it seems you could have some extremely varied and expressive patches going in no time.

I'll be meeting up with him to test this out at the end of next week, I'll film the process too.

In the meantime, anyone else using one? Curious to hear ideas and thoughts.
ben_hex
Anybody? seriously, i just don't get it
megaohm
I would if I had an EWI.
lol

Seems like a perfect modular controller.
chamomileshark
the only person I could think of was Kevin Braheny, he built the EWI for Nyle Steiner. I thought he used it with Serge. For some reason I thought Kevin had died but I can find no reference to it on the net right now. Strange.
TheBradster
For what it's worth, Infrablue showed some EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument, trumpet controller) stuff in this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100538&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=60

Earlier versions of the EWI were direct CV (I'm pretty sure) and really #$%#@ expressive. Michael Brecker did some amazing stuff with Steps Ahead. Check this out, his soloing from around 4.00 is amazing:

Hope this helps.
TheBradster
(I think he was using an Xpander on this.)
tIB
I'm going for akai vx600, same chips as xpander but think it had an input for the akai wind thingy. Evi was it?
ben_hex
megaohm wrote:
I would if I had an EWI.
lol

Are you a wind player?

Cheers the input everyone else, I'll check out what I can find.
megaohm
ben_hex wrote:
megaohm wrote:
I would if I had an EWI.
lol

Are you a wind player?

No but
I've played a clarinet once or twice.
hmmm.....
I've been know to play a $3 flute thru delays, too.
hihi

When I'm using a keyboard for mono synth stuff the envelopes do a lot of the articulating.
Maybe with the EWI altering breath pressure could replace some of those envelopes.
Wanted one for a long time...
it's on the list!
lol
ben_hex
I'm excited to get it into the modular and cooking up some really expressive patches. The player I'll be doing this with is an amazing musician so I'll video the whole thing when we do it back end of next week.
poppinger
Another thread featuring sounds of Infrablue and EWI: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80259
stellvia
Stupidly sold my EWI (the EWI4000S) before I got into modular. Wasn't using it much at the time. Ironically I am now doing a lot more saxophone work as well. Would have been fun d'oh!
tito_tunes
I dream of putting together an EWI controllable modular setup, that's why I joined muffs. Here's some vids of what I do with the EWI4000s, looping, and patches from Ableton.

frijitz
I've spent decades using my custom wind controller with modular equipment. Many details on my website.

Ian
JohnLRice
I'm interested in this thumbs up I've had a Casio MIDI sax even before I got back into modulars but I've never really tried to use it. Just another potentially cool project on the back-burner. Dead Banana
scottmoon
ben_hex wrote:
I'm excited to get it into the modular and cooking up some really expressive patches. The player I'll be doing this with is an amazing musician so I'll video the whole thing when we do it back end of next week.

Did you get a chance to try it out with him? BTW your ModularGrid link needs updating Guinness ftw!
vgermuse
tito_tunes wrote:
I dream of putting together an EWI controllable modular setup, that's why I joined muffs.

What modular synth are you using? You'll just need a midi to cv converter module. The original EWI/EVI can with a 2 voice analog synth "brains" with midi out. That is what Michael Brecker used and midied out to an Oberheim Xpander. Also, as TiB mentioned, the akai vx600 was a 6 voice synth designed for the EWI/EVI, awesome synth with breath pressure et al.

Kevin Brahney Fortune is alive and well and I believe will be coming out with a new album soon which will have some EWI. See him and the very first EWI and the suitcase synth he built for it here at 2:32 minutes in
http://youtu.be/XCBqn29kUkI

In closing, I've been using my EVI with modulars for quite awhile. Though my bent is more toward free improv you my enjoy this exploration of EVI to analog synth. http://youtu.be/mPOLwC_Sbqo

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to chat more.
Cheers! Todd
tito_tunes
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply. Really cool video of the EVI and serge. I'd actually seen this on Matrixsynth ages ago!

I don't have any modular gear yet. I do have a Waldorf Pulse + rack synth which will output pitch CV, Gate and CV2 which could be the breath sensor. I'm hoping to put together a small suitcase with the pulse and a choice selection of modules for live gigs. I'm thinking mainly some filters and resonators for creating "acoustic inspired" tones.

Question: I love the Pulse but it does sound "steppy" and digital when I'm doing a slow crescendo with breath for example. If I took the breath CV out of that and into some other filter + vca combo would it still be like that?

Alternatively I'm considering getting an older analog EWI with direct CV control, would you recommend that for optimum responsiveness?

Thanks,

-Daniel
vgermuse
Hi Daniel,

Dang, I only know the old EVI/EWI stuff. Never touched a Waldorf Pulse, don't know why you are getting the zippering, I'm guessing the oscillators are digital.
Maybe someone else on the thread knows more about the Pulse.

The older EWI still only has MIDI out, no CV out but the MIDI out is definitely dialed in. Best, Todd
Dcramer
I think it would be cool just to see a module that you can plug a Yamaha breath controller into and get CV out hmmm.....
vgermuse
Dcramer wrote:
I think it would be cool just to see a module that you can plug a Yamaha breath controller into and get CV out hmmm.....

Agreed, that would be cool! The work around would be to get this breath to midi box then plug that into a midi to cv converter
http://www.patchmanmusic.com/midisolutions.html
I know it is one extra step, but doable :-)
ben_hex
scottmoon -
There is this mega cheesy effort we made for a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJDRDRuxE

I'm using the Vermona qMI to give me plenty of midi CCs as well as gate and pitch for those patches that were layered up. Got another cheesy big band one on the go but it's very back burner and just a bit of fun in the holidays we both get from work.

I'll certainly be having David (the EWI player) round to record some lead lines on some new production work over summer though.
ronaldroy
Hey vgermuse, are you interfacing directly from the EVI1000? I have one of those old units too - the EWV2000 sounds quite good but it would be good to be able to drive the modular directly - any ... tips?
vgermuse
ronaldroy wrote:
Hey vgermuse, are you interfacing directly from the EVI1000? I have one of those old units too - the EWV2000 sounds quite good but it would be good to be able to drive the modular directly - any ... tips?

Take the MIDI out from the EWV2000 and go into a midi to cv converter of your choice then the CVs into the modular of choice. You can also just send the midi into a midi synth module then take the audio from that synth and send it back to the EWV2000 for breath processing :-). Cheers!
ronaldroy
Oh I thought you might be tapping the CV directly off the EVI1000 somehow without using the MIDI out of the EWV2000 module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3