MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hopefully the last time i'll ask you to look at my 9U plan..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hopefully the last time i'll ask you to look at my 9U plan..
MrTea
I posted a plan a while ago, when I first joined consisting of mostly Doepfer and Analogue solutions stuff but after spending time here reading, playing with modules and genreally investigating - I realised that whatever the cost maybe, there's really no way I can stick with a ultra budget system. d'oh!

Having said that I'm still not trying to go too crazy......

I was wondering if people could have a look at my proposed system and give me some idea of whether or not I've covered all the bases and if there's anything I've missed or if you've any suggestions of modules i've missed that pair well with modules I have.

I also have a couple of questions oops

1) I have the Dopefer DIY Kit 1, which has a max output of 1200mA. I worked out that with the setup below that it'd be running at around 900-1000mA. How high is it safe to go?

2) Do you think I have enough mixers, attenuators and multiples in this setup? How many do you have in a similar size system?

3) Do I have enough modulation options? particularly LFO's?

My head's been spinning over and over about this, it's driving me a little crazy I think. Not that I need to considering that It's not like I'm buying it all at once but I like to have an idea of what I'm going to buy next each time.

Anyway here's the plan - The things marked in red I already have. Should hopefully be getting the another couple of modules in January. Either the Maths or Polivoks VCF & LFO-NZ.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Synesthesia
With the math, you can probably dropped the Serge VCS ... that 's a 200 dollars something saving.

More multiple would be good, probably the a182.

I don't think the low pass filter is necessary as well with the QMMG there ...

That said, you can nearly dropped to 6U, which wouldn't be such a bad thing with the Dopefer DIY Kit 1.

oh, I would probably keep the ADSR
wetterberg
I'm running 12U with the diy kit 1 - how high is safe to go? all the way up to the maximum. From what I understand the only thing that will happen is that some modules won't get enough power - nothing will break.
Babaluma
won't it have the possibility of overheating the power supply, thereby killing itself, or even creating a fire risk?
Falcon
Check 182-1 instead of the simple 180.
MrTea
wetterberg wrote:
I'm running 12U with the diy kit 1 - how high is safe to go? all the way up to the maximum. From what I understand the only thing that will happen is that some modules won't get enough power - nothing will break.

See now, this is what I was thinking - with a few extra multiples and attenuators that can really take up some extra space which I could easily throw into another 3U leaving more space for other stuff, but this is where I was worried about overdoing it on the PSU.

Synesthesia wrote:

With the math, you can probably dropped the Serge VCS ... that 's a 200 dollars something saving.

Hmm was wondering that. I just like the VCS and I thought of additional sounds source/modulation options. but yeah I do see your point.

Synesthesia wrote:

More multiple would be good, probably the a182.

Yeah I guessed as much hihi

Synesthesia wrote:

I don't think the low pass filter is necessary as well with the QMMG there

That may be true, but I really wanted a fat and creamy ladder filter.
tIB
Looks nice... getting particularly envious at the SoS, PLL and anti osc in other peoples virtual racks these days.

I ended up going for 2 maths in the end, another of those over the vcs would be my choice, though it would be at the expense of something else too. (asys lfo?)

Not seeing much in the way of vca's, you planning on using the qmmg for that?
MrTea
Yeah those are some of the modules i'm particularly psyched about.

there's a vca in the Analogue systems RS380, SOS and obviously the QMMG but think it'll be a while before I get the latter. Do you think it's worth picking up a couple of dedicated VCA's - the Doepfer Dual lin/exp for example?
tIB
Well Im only really going from what other people have advised me in my system rather than experience. I forgot about the vca in the SoS and didnt know anything about the rs380.

You might be alright with those bearing in mind the qmmg will come eventually... see what some of the guys with a bit more experience think.
MrTea
I'm still unsure about whether to add another 3U. I'm sure I could fill it half with passive modules and probably a few powered ones. i would basically max out my 28 available bus connectors.

Any idea on a safe running level for the PSU?
dude
i have heard running power supplies to around 75% capacity is optimal. above that and things can start getting hairy.
MrTea
Ok, so that's about 900mA then. hmm so really going over 9U is a bit risky. hmmm.....
dude
i wouldn't quote me or base your instrument off of my hearings though. maybe contact whoever is making your power supply or kit for power supply and ask them directly what will be ok. luckily your case will be fine as the magnificent pll has been included in your plans hihi
dude
also i think bagging the vcs in favor of other things you have included. i would say either two plague bearers or no plague bearers. i really did not enjoy my single one. that is just me. i might shoot for a wave folder/multiplier instead of plague.
dude
and only 1 lfo unless i am overlooking, but other stuff can be used as lfo's so you may or may not be covered depending how you patch.
MrTea
dude wrote:
also i think bagging the vcs in favor of other things you have included. i would say either two plague bearers or no plague bearers. i really did not enjoy my single one. that is just me. i might shoot for a wave folder/multiplier instead of plague.

I read somewhere that they were designed to be used in pairs. Is a single one really going to be disappointing?
dude
as i said, i was disappointed by a single and believe two might be the way to go FOR ME (i have since sold mine). that being said, you can read tons of praise from many many folks here that probably have one and love it. you were asking for thoughts and i share mine hihi . you really wont know till you try it so i wouldn't worry too much. i know exactly your predicament of planning planning planning, but my experience with a getting a bunch of modules is that some will gel and others wont for reasons that arent necessarily obvious beforehand. i imagine, if you were to buy your whole plan at once, you would end up selling at least some of it to try other things. it is just the process in that you can't play it all beforehand. i know one thing i shoot for these days is modules that are either obviously utilitarian and helpful/necessary or stuff that i just find exciting. i find if modules don't serve one or both of those purposes, i will likely sell em.
Badr0b0t
I finished my A-100p9 a few weeks ago. I researched it a lot. I was after a lot of modules that could generate the sound (VCOs), a few filters, some crazy modulators and one or two weird things. I also wanted midi control, a bunch of ADSRs, two mixers and a multi. Quite a lot to ask for but I think I pulled it all off.

Here's my plan and what my system looks like. I'm super happy with it.

I also have the two moog expanders running from my voyager so if I want extra mults or whatever I use those. So far I haven't really needed to do that.

I'm already planning a second A-100p9... Pretty sure I'm gonna be broke all of 2010.

lol

I really liked the VCF POLIVOKS. I wouldn't say the QMMG is all you need for a filter. I have the Frequensteiner and the Polivoks and they both have their sound and uses. Having basically four oscillators is kick ass. Maths is my favorite module of the lot for modulation. Love the Maths.

I'm a total noob when it comes to modulars but I've been learning quickly. Spent a lot of time on my system already. Would say the only thing I'm probably not all that into is the bissell slew generator. Feel like I can use the maths for that when I need it.

Hope that helps in some way.
Waz
I wish I was you. I purchased my modular last April. In my opinion that WAS the worst time to purchase. There have been soooo many new advances. It's actually quite ridiculous.
wetterberg
Badr0b0t wrote:
I finished my A-100p9 a few weeks ago.
wow. That *is* a rather dashing 9U rig! I'd personally want some sequencing power/logic things, but that would then go in the next 9U. I bet this does make a nice racket!
MrTea
wow, that is certainly a nice system. See there's many in there that i'd like but really are out of my price range.

I'm trying to pack as much functionality in to 3U for a reasonable price without compromising too much.

I've done another plan, this time dropping the QMMG and adding a borg, dropping the third filter (is two enough?), dropped the joystick (save that for another case i think) and also added a couple of other things.

I know that there's a couple of modules there that aren't out yet but hopefully by the time i come to buying them they will be hihi

i've added the wogglebug because I like it and it sounds awesome but not sure if I should go for more envelope genrators instead?

and i've added the matrix mixer, because I heard it was a great tool for noise, but maybe i'd be better off with two of the A138b mixers and another multiple?

What do you think?

Badr0b0t
wetterberg wrote:
Badr0b0t wrote:
I finished my A-100p9 a few weeks ago.
wow. That *is* a rather dashing 9U rig! I'd personally want some sequencing power/logic things, but that would then go in the next 9U. I bet this does make a nice racket!

Sequencer might be nice but that's why I have the midi controller. I use Ableton Live and it works great. Also, got a MOTU interface and Volta on my list for next year which should be amazing. I write music more than make noise with my modular so having things be in time and being able to control pitch, gate and an extra CV with midi in is great.

Logic is something I should probably learn more about.
Badr0b0t
MrTea wrote:
wow, that is certainly a nice system. See there's many in there that i'd like but really are out of my price range.

I'm trying to pack as much functionality in to 3U for a reasonable price without compromising too much.

I've done another plan, this time dropping the QMMG and adding a borg, dropping the third filter (is two enough?), dropped the joystick (save that for another case i think) and also added a couple of other things.

I know that there's a couple of modules there that aren't out yet but hopefully by the time i come to buying them they will be hihi

i've added the wogglebug because I like it and it sounds awesome but not sure if I should go for more envelope genrators instead?

and i've added the matrix mixer, because I heard it was a great tool for noise, but maybe i'd be better off with two of the A138b mixers and another multiple?

What do you think?

What I did was start with kind of one of each thing to get the basic sound and a few extra bits to have some fun twisting the sound. I think if you do that, it will inform the rest of your rig. I think it's going to be hard to plan a whole rig perfectly out the gate. You'll get some bits and realize what you need more of and what you don't really want. My advice to you is to get started with the first pieces and noodle around with them. That certainly changed my thoughts. I ended up wanting way more oscillators but I write music so that became important.

I'm still fairly new so I couldn't tell you if your rig there is going to be everything you want. Looks pretty cool though.
MrTea
Yeah i think that's what i'll do. I just like to have some plan, just so
i can fantasise really.....

I have all but a filter in order to have a 'complete' (i mean that in the loosest possible way) monosynth so I'm aiming to pick up the Polivoks next.

Do you think that the borg is a good compliment to the polivoks? Are 2 filters going to be enough for a 9u rig?
Blackened Justice
I really depends if you're a "filter person" or not. I personally would try to keep the number of filters to a minimum, and get some wave-shapers/multipliers, because I just find them more interesting. Most filter aficcionados look for variety in filter characteristics, like 6/12/18/24 db/octave, LP/HP/BP/Notch, transistor ladder/diode ladder/vactrol design, behavior when overdriven, etc.

On a purely utilitarian basis, yes, 2 filters are enough for a 9u rig. If you are in urgent need for a couple more filters, you can use the Maths, or just get a nice and cheap Doepfer filter, like the Wasp.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2