MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cheap USB/ADAT adaptor => ES-3 via USB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author cheap USB/ADAT adaptor => ES-3 via USB
os
I've just been testing one of these:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

Quote:
The USBStreamer B is a miniature multi-channel USB to ADAT or Toslink interface with native support of audio files with format up to 24bit/192kHz. Packaged in a box, this interface is the perfect USB interface for DAC or ADAT multichannel audio interface without USB input.

The USBStreamer utilizes high speed USB2.0 along with the Audio Class 2.0 implementation to simultaneously provide up to 8channels of playback along with 8channel of recording over the ADAT standard. The unit is USB self powered and installed in a matter of seconds with compatible ASIO drivers for both Mac/Windows platforms.

Seems to work fine with an ES-3, and with an ES-5.

So this is a nice option for e.g. live performance when you just need to hook your modular up to a laptop. Cheap too - 115 USD.
cellm8
Great find. Perfect solution for my laptop setup. SlayerBadger!
CF3
Thats sweet. Been looking for something simple and cheap to run another ES-3. Did you test it as an "aggregate audio device" on a mac? Would love to know if I could run more than one at a time.
chinard
NICE!
I've been looking for something like this
os
CF3 wrote:
Thats sweet. Been looking for something simple and cheap to run another ES-3. Did you test it as an "aggregate audio device" on a mac? Would love to know if I could run more than one at a time.

I didn't test aggregate usage, no.
Gripp
Been thinking about one of those coupled with a fanless Intel NUC. hmmm.....

Tested with an ES-3 and ES-6 at the same time?
os
No, actually. I should do that, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
stk
Awesome find! Thanks for the heads up
stk
So this is class-compliant USB, no drivers needed?
Would be nice mounted behind a faceplate, USB from computer str8 to Euro.
madcap
This is fantastic, even moreso if useable with iOS.

Hmm... It does not appear to be.
djthopa
good find OS!
haven
any idea what the lowest latency setting at 48K is for this device?
myecholalia
Got myself one of these USBstreamer B devices but cannot get it to work with my ES-3 and ES-6. When I connect the optical cables, the ADAT lock LED of the ES-3 does not come on. When I connect to my other audio interface, they come on immediately. evil

Something seems wonky with my USBstreamer and I've contacted miniDSP already. Let's see what they come up with. But maybe one of you guys have an idea as well what could be wrong? Using this with my macbook pro on mountain lion with no specific drivers for the USB streamer.

cheers!
pekenator
myecholalia wrote:
Got myself one of these USBstreamer B devices but cannot get it to work with my ES-3 and ES-6. When I connect the optical cables, the ADAT lock LED of the ES-3 does not come on. When I connect to my other audio interface, they come on immediately. evil
cheers!

I think I have this problem as well. I just got my USBStreamer B and ES-3
and when I connect the ADAT output to the ES-3 all the I/O LEDs just
flicker randomly and the big LED doesn't light up. I'm on a MacBook Pro
with Mavericks. Unfortunately I don't have anything else that I can talk
ADAT with so it's hard to know if it is the USBStreamer or the ES-3.

Clocking issue?
robotfunk
I'm on the verge of getting this plus an ES3/ES6 system so looking at this thread with great interest. OS, could you try an ES3 and ES6 simultaneously and let us know?
pekenator
I got it to work by installing the USBStreamer Windows driver in a VirtualBox
Windows 7 instance and upgrading the USBStreamer device firmware.
I don't really know which firmware was on the box on delivery, it was
supposed to be the ADAT one by default.

Anyway, it is working now. applause
wednesdayayay
are you guys integrating the es3 into a larger modular setup or it is part of a smaller individual boat of some kind?

I really don't want to give myself enough power/space to get too deep into modular stuff as I am perfectly happy in CL land but I would love to generate some computer (max/PD) CV's over USB. These would mostly be generated from the shbobo shnth and maybe the openmusiclabs repatcher

so what kind of power would be recommended for a very small es3 setup (potentially adding an es6 at some point)
os
robotfunk wrote:
I'm on the verge of getting this plus an ES3/ES6 system so looking at this thread with great interest. OS, could you try an ES3 and ES6 simultaneously and let us know?

Works fine.
robotfunk
thanks for clarifying
Dafreeze
hi
i'm thinkig of beginning my own eurorack
i always used reason to make music and i would like to use its sequencer to play the notes. so i'll need the es-3 to make that happen.
now i have an old soundcard with no adat, will i be able to use this usbstreamer box for sending cv to my modular and using my old soundcard at the same time? or should i invest in e new soundcard? i would like spend more money on modules then on a new soundcard so this would be a cheap solution.
os
If you're on Mac, you can in theory use two audio devices at the same time via an OS X Aggregate Device, though in practice this doesn't always work well.

If you're on PC you can do the same via Asio4All, I believe.

A single soundcard is likely to be a more robust solution, though.
Dafreeze
when i use asio4all i can see both outputs in reason for my internal soundcard & my external soundcard so i guess its possible with this usbstreamer device
i'm gonna give it a try
Monobass
Anyone using this successfully in Mavericks then?
pekenator
Monobass wrote:
Anyone using this successfully in Mavericks then?

Yep. Using it in an aggregate device with a Phase 26 and the ES-3
with Reason, no problems so far.

Using Reason With an Analogue Modular Synth
Monobass
thanks pekenator, did you try the aggregate thing with another audio device?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5