MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Issues syncing Tenori-on with Live 9 please help! please ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author Issues syncing Tenori-on with Live 9 please help! please ?
crystalbonbon
Hi
I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with some issues I'm having syncing my Tenroi-on with Live 9. I have a deadline for a new live set up and this is hugely stalling me and now Keyfax is down I don't know where else to look for help!

I am using TO with latest firmware as slave but with internal sounds, I just need it to play along in sync with my live set and other instruments all synced through ableton.

My issues/ questions are:

- Pressing space bar in Live does not start the Tenroi-on, I need to first press start on the TO then when I press space in Live it begins, is this normal?
- Also this does not always work, it only seems to work when I'm at the very beginning of my Live project. If I am half way through and press stop and start again with space the TO does not start until the project is playing, then if I press start it will join but not neccessairly be in sync which is very frustrating especially as I have all my songs loaded in one project.
- Finally I was hoping to send CC messages from Live to change block at various points automatically but I tried using the bank change message in the midi implementation chart and it does not work. Do you know if this is possible? I gather it is via Sysex but apparently not through Live from what I've read.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me in the near future with these issues!
Many thanks in advance
TimL
crystalbonbon
Hey, how's that deadline looking? Hope I'm not too late to help.
I may have a couple of suggestions that may be useful...

Quote:
- Pressing space bar in Live does not start the Tenroi-on, I need to first press start on the TO then when I press space in Live it begins, is this normal?

This also happens for me, so I suppose it is normal, although not ideal from a performance perspective.
In v2 of the TNR firmware 'reception of the song position pointer' (MIDI system message F2) was implemented which was supposed to improve syncing with external devices. THis message is received only in Slave Mode. The Active Sensing messages generated and received by the TNR are not exactly rock solid for keeping beats nice and tight and in time.
Another thing to try out; make sure the TNR (in slave mode) is set to the same tempo as Live (master). As the manual specifies this "The Slave performance
may not be reproduced properly if there is too great a difference between the tempos."
Personally, I couldn't get a satisfactory result using the TNR in slave mode so I use it as the master and have Live syncing to the Tenori-On. Even in this set up the TNR sounds are ever so slightly out of time with sounds coming off Live or other external MIDI. In Live, there are audio/MIDI sync delay options however these are disabled when Live is set to slave to an external sync.

Quote:
- Also this does not always work, it only seems to work when I'm at the very beginning of my Live project. If I am half way through and press stop and start again with space the TO does not start until the project is playing, then if I press start it will join but not neccessairly be in sync which is very frustrating especially as I have all my songs loaded in one project.

I've experienced the same and I can only put it down to a limitation with the TNR and how it responses and syncs to the F2 MIDI message. I think for this to really work the hardware and/or firmware needs update (probably never going to happen). Again, you maybe better off using the TNR as master and having Live sync to it. That way the TNR can be used more as a controller.

Quote:
- Finally I was hoping to send CC messages from Live to change block at various points automatically but I tried using the bank change message in the midi implementation chart and it does not work. Do you know if this is possible? I gather it is via Sysex but apparently not through Live from what I've read.

Unfortunately, there are no CC messages that will change blocks. In normal mode (not v2.1 Remote Mode) CC messages will only change bank select, main vol. pan, expression, fx depth and maybe one or two other things.
The bank change message in the MIDI implementation chart does not change the block, only the instrument.
If you were to engage Remote Mode on the Tenori-On you are able to send sysex messsages to change blocks, however Live does not let you send Sysex! If you are familar with Max4Live there is a patch that will allow this. M4L is a whole other story, if you want to follow that up, let me know.
Good luck & Enjoy.
8_)
pantalones
crystalbonbon wrote:

Yes it's typical for many types of machines with poor slave clock implementation. Some great ones like elektron respond to start / stop / continue but the Tenori on does not, it seems you need to put it in a wait mode and then it starts when clock starts

crystalbonbon wrote:

Also not great but still typical among products with poor timeclock implementation. Just get used to it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1