MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

6550-99
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 6550-99
zerosum
What a long journey this has been........

I give to you 6550-99. An alien transmission inaudible to human ears.
Tracks Hz/V. No V/Oct chips have been installed.
I have tested these modules with a QPS1 and QPS3 along with QDH20 and Q137 power distribution systems that I purchased from Synthesizers.com.
Developed, tested, and assembled 2012-2014 in Lakeport, CA by Brian Kirby with the help of engineer Eric Barbour.

http://www.zerosuminertia.com/home/?page_id=79

In stock ready to ship at the muff store:
http://store.muffwiggler.com/collections/zerosum-inertia/products/zero sum-inertia-6500-99-thyratron-oscillator-for-5u-dotcom-compatible-modu lar

I will build them for as long as I can get parts and for as long as life allows.
I guarantee no tracking stability. I can get more than 2 octaves but less than 4.
A good way to get "decent" tracking stability is to feed a square wave from a solid state oscillator into the CV input of the 6550-99.
Although I get plenty of useful tracking information feeding a Hz/ V signal from the Future Retro Mobius into the CV inputs of the 6550-99 CV inputs.

Power: Tubes need a decent power supply to drive them.
The 6550-99 oscillator from Zerosum Inertia needs 1.8 amps of +5 cold at startup, and averaging to around 1 amp after initial power up.
+ and - 15 v at an average around 50 mA is also required.
In basic terms, if you use the QPS1 or QPS3 power supplies available from Synthesizers.com, you should have enough power to run one 6550-99 module without problems.
I am currently powering three 6550-99 oscillators plus 10 other ZI tube modules on 1 single QPS3 power supply from Synthesizers.com with no problems for 1 year.

Here is my sound demo.
Three 6550-99 Oscillators being driven by a Future Retro Mobius Hz/V output,
into a MOTM 440 then into a Buchla&Associates 292e,
modulated by a Buchla&Associates 281e and Blacet EG-1,
then a ZIMM01 as the final output module.

http://soundcloud.com/zi6550-99/transmission

Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zerosuminertia/sets/72157632784187661

Thanks for the support modular wigglers. 8_)

JRock
love
That's gorgeous
JRock
And it sounds Amazing! thumbs up
Kent
You guys built a module with a 6550 in it?! That's awesome-ridiculous!
zerosum
Thanks guys! nanners

Quote:
You guys built a module with a 6550 in it?! That's awesome-ridiculous!

hihi Now THAT would be cool! This is fun!

This is an oscillator built with a 2050 thyratron as the main sound source,
with instability provided by the 5823 cold cathode.

I'll get some writings together to better explain what it does.
As well as upload some more sounds..... Too many of those, so I need to do the least worst first, then after those I'll show how disasterous it is with the "top switch" engaged. lol

w00t
blz
I love mine it's killer!!! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
zerosum

A - Master tune knob. Controls the pitch of the oscillator.
B - HZ/V CV input jack. Unattenuated CV input. Controls pitch of the oscillator.
C - CV attenuator knob. Attenuates the amount of CV fed into the CV jack below.
D - HZ/V CV input jack. CV input for control of the pitch of the oscillator.
Attenuator knob above controls amount of CV applied.
E - Output level attenuator knob. Controls the output level of the oscillator.
F - Output jack. Oscillator sound comes out of this hole.
G - Instability Control. Controls the amount of instability the 5823 generates.

For best tracking results, it is best to leave the "top switch" in the down position. When the top switch(should we name it something?) is engaged(in the up position), it sounds like a swarm of voiders chewing through shards of glass and grinding metal. Stability of the oscillator is affected, output level is lower, and it is impossible to make the screeching screams go away.
Stick with the switch in the down position for traditional predictable Oscillator duties, and up position for sound design applications where tuning isn't important.

A good way to start is by setting the pitch of the oscillator with the master tuning knob(knob A) to a frequency that pleases you.
Now feed a note from a sequencer into the attenuated CV input(D), lets use C for this example.
With the output of the oscillator being monitored by a tuner, slowly turn the CV attenuate knob left to right to dial in the amount until it is as close to being in tune as possible.
If further precision is desired, patch a source of voltage into the unattenuated CV input(B) and adjust the amount. More to go up in pitch, less to go down in pitch.

It is a good idea to not make any adjustments to the instability knob(G) after adjusting the tuning of the oscillator. If you do, you will have to tune it again.
I suggest leaving it in the center 12 o' clock position.

More information will be on the way....
R2D2

http://soundcloud.com/zi6550-99/100113-medley
zerosum
blz wrote:
I love mine it's killer!!! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Good to hear it's working out for you! w00t
I guess it has been about a year now that it has been in your rig. applause screaming goo yo

Also just got confirmation that an oscillator made it to El Salvador
and survived the trip and customs inspection without any troubles.
It is singing away in a new home!
weinglas
I had the chance to listen to a lot of sounds from this beast. And it really does sound fat, special and versatile. Definitely no one trick pony nanners

Great work Brian we're not worthy
zerosum
Quote:
I had the chance to listen to a lot of sounds from this beast. And it really does sound fat, special and versatile.

Thanks! It's peanut butter jelly time! I have a bunch more of those that I'll mix down and upload eventually.
I have too many sounds recorded, but I need to carefully choose the order in which I release them.... hihi

Untill then.... Which video do you like best?
This one
or
this One
?

Photos and visual viscera experience provided by TW
Sounds are 3 6550-99's controlled from FSR's and some GRM Tools Evolution for dramatic resonance.
weinglas
SlayerBadger! we're not worthy headbang

Awesome pictures and sounds.

Personally I would prefer the second one, because the module fits more to the rest of the video. But both are really good.
zerosum
Here is the new and improved version. wink
Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu
weinglas
zerosum wrote:
Here is the new and improved version. wink
Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu

applause thumbs up nanners SlayerBadger! headbang Band
zerosum
My DVD doesn't have this sound dubbed in when they play back the transmission (I'm pretty sure that sound that the uploader dubbed in is from a Lustmord track from Zoetrope or Metavoid. I have heard it somewhere and it's not in the movie)

Here is where the name comes from:

Tube Tentacles
Hello Zerosum.
Just to tell you, I´m passionate the valvular world. Feel grief, not being able to enjoy this module in Eurorack. People will tell you and I will not be much less. But every day, I enter to forum, see it and I start crying. :_(
It's beautiful.
Congratulations on your work.

Just to tell you, I´m passionate the valvular world.
It's beautiful.
Congratulations on your work.

Thank you smile w00t
I love your name!
o-live
sound and video thumbs up !!!
love really the concept of your work
your are the next for My polyphonic Turd Machine

d'oh! he remind me some piece of my research
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ohq_harmony-of-chaos_creation
zerosum
Quote:
your are the next for My polyphonic Turd Machine

Yay! hyper applause

Quote:
sound and video thumbs up !!!
love really the concept of your work

Thank you smile
zerosum
Tonights disaster condensed into about 3 minutes:

http://soundcloud.com/zi6550-99/040314-1
Kakihara
w00t w00t w00t
weinglas
zerosum wrote:
Tonights disaster condensed into about 3 minutes:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/143014013" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

This ROCKS HARD SlayerBadger! nanners Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger!

Awesome track and awesome sounding oscillator we're not worthy
zerosum
Thanks. Lotsa Love
There are three 6550-99's in that track.
2 going into ZIMM01's then into 292e,
then 1 going straight into the 292e.

292e mix output into 440,
292e channel three(hosting 6550-99 #3) direct out into ZIMM04, ZIMM04 out into 440 FM input 2.

2 sines and 2 triangles mixed together from 380 LFO into Modcan 07b Sample&Hold input, Sample&hold output patched into 440 FM input 1.

The 440 is a lot of where the sound is coming from. It dances in a magical way! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners screaming goo yo
ritchiedrums
Holy Shit Man!!!!!!!!!

I need to figure out the $$$ & power supply for this!!!!!
zerosum
Thanks Ritchie 8_)

The workflow that the unpredictable behavior of the circuit provides inspires the sounds that come out.
The challenge of forcing the oscillator to behave creates interesting forks in the road to travel that I probably wouldn't find if I was using something perfect and flawless.
Being limited to what the mutant circuit wants to do forces me to work with the options available and pick a direction and focus.
I don't think it can translate into words.
ritchiedrums
Sounds like My Travels with The Wretch! Metasonix!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2