MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hey muff's, which big muff?`
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Hey muff's, which big muff?`
tragedybysyntax
SO... who here knows all about the big muffs?
I just snagged a Sovtek/EHX Green Russian Pi. Curious if you guys have had that one or the others? Thanks! smile
Cybananna
I've had a Ram's Head, black russian, little big muff and have used the new-ish usa big muff. I like the Ram's head the best. But I sold it when I needed money.

Never used the Green Russian. I've heard it's great though.
tragedybysyntax
man... that ram's head sounds AWESOME! I hear the triangle is incredible too. One is on the bay for 5oo tho... lol.
Suburban Bather
I've had the Green Russian Muff and Little Big Muff. Did not have both at the same time, but I remember the big green box having a creamier sound over the LBM. I've only used the Green Muff on bass, but I remember my buddy getting instant Adam Jones tones with his Epiphone SG and a cheap dual 10" Fender amp.
Muff Wiggler
I love all muff's love

my favorite of all the ones I've tried so far is the RonSound HairPie '75

every one has something to love about it though. All the green russians I heard are wolly and boomy as hell. awesome.
tragedybysyntax
I'm thinking i'll keep an eye out for a triangle or one of the first ones also down the road.... Pumped to see how this inline with my fuzz factory and tube zipper sound! wink
tragedybysyntax
damn.. given the look, i thought the green russian was a 70's. More I'm researching it... i believe it's model 7? and it was made in the early 90's! very frustrating Oh well... so much for getting a 70's fuzz this xmas, lol
drewtoothpaste
I have had several, the green russian one is my favorite stock. Currently I have a 00s reissue (maybe 03 or 04?) which I added a rotary switch to - it selects between different diode setups (LEDs, 4148s, schottkys, and a couple asymmetric setups.)

The green russian dude is the best though, including the original.
Chuck E. Jesus
i have a green one also...had a slightly older gray sovtek, a jack was busted from the board so i gave it away...the green ones have chassis mounted jacks, both have the super heavy duty case you could easily beat someone to death with...and i think they look cooler than the 70's/reissue model thumbs up
Chuck E. Jesus
drewtoothpaste wrote:
which I added a rotary switch to - it selects between different diode setups (LEDs, 4148s, schottkys, and a couple asymmetric setups.)

interesting...
fracinfrucer
I also have the green russian one. I bought it new a loooong time ago and it looks like it went through a war and still is my favorite fuzz. I wish I would've bought a couple more back then! I also have an old Little Big Muff that sounds great on bass guitar.
tragedybysyntax
I'm thinking of trying to snag a ram's head edition too..... worth having the green russian and the ram's head you think?
Cybananna
Yea, the green and the ram should sound different enough. As for the ram, look into BYOC kit. It sounds like an original ram and is a true clone of it. You'll save a ton of money that way.

Also beware when buying vintage muffs. I've seen more than one beat up reissue being sold as vintage and even one ram's head with the original "guts" removed and replaced with reissue "guts" being sold as original vintage.
drewtoothpaste
I dunno how many other pedals you have, but I'd get a fuzz face, fuzz factory, tube screamer, metal zone, etc. instead of a second big muff.
tragedybysyntax
which one on their site is the ram's head clone?
tragedybysyntax
nm... large beaver! I'm going to have to order that kit and build that hoe! smile
Cybananna
That's it. I forgot the name. It's really close IMO. I have it now and it's very similar to the rams head I had.
tragedybysyntax
Yup... I think between that and the green russian I'm set! (however.. i'm still wanting a fender blender or foxx tone machine...) wink
antennafarm
another vote for the tanky green one.
onrust nv
I'm still looking for the green one, can't find it anyware.
I bought 2 green sovtek smallstones though we're not worthy .
Got also 3 last series russian BM's but the one in the wooden box sounds better than the ones in the cardboard box. The yellow paint on top is different to confused
tragedybysyntax
So, I know it's been awhile but.... the green tanky one is AWESOME! Fucking awesome on guitar alone! smile
indexofmetals
i highly recommend the icbm fuzz http://www.rawbw.com/~emiller/Euthymia/Pedals/ICBM/) - only clone I've come across that sounds as good as the early big muff that a friend had let me use for recording years back
devnulljp
I've had a few muffs in my time...Mr. Green
First issue Green Russian is pretty good. Didn't like the second bubble font issue much. The ram's head w/ FS36999s is the best IMO.

doctorvague
I'm late to the party - I rarely pop in this area.

I'm curious what this might be worth. I bought it new but don't have a clue what year. It's missing 2 rubber feet and the 4 front screws. Needs a new power switch and foot switch or maybe they could be taken apart and fixed. The transistors are BC239C. If you jiggle the switches just right it works fine and sounds fucking great!

chromium
doctorvague wrote:
I'm late to the party - I rarely pop in this area.

I'm curious what this might be worth. I bought it new but don't have a clue what year. It's missing 2 rubber feet and the 4 front screws. Needs a new power switch and foot switch or maybe they could be taken apart and fixed. The transistors are BC239C. If you jiggle the switches just right it works fine and sounds fucking great!

They refer to those as the "ram's head" version. Had one just like it for most of my life, but off'd it about a year ago and bought modules or basses or sumpthin' w00t

Mine went for ~450 (it had an extra hole drilled in its case), and I've seen them go higher. Not an expert on the prices - don't pay much attention to these. Given their simplicity I think the prices are pretty much insane (IMHO). But then again, insanity is relative... This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4