MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hey muff's, which big muff?`
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Hey muff's, which big muff?`
tragedybysyntax
SO... who here knows all about the big muffs?
I just snagged a Sovtek/EHX Green Russian Pi. Curious if you guys have had that one or the others? Thanks! smile
Cybananna
I've had a Ram's Head, black russian, little big muff and have used the new-ish usa big muff. I like the Ram's head the best. But I sold it when I needed money.

Never used the Green Russian. I've heard it's great though.
tragedybysyntax
man... that ram's head sounds AWESOME! I hear the triangle is incredible too. One is on the bay for 5oo tho... lol.
Suburban Bather
I've had the Green Russian Muff and Little Big Muff. Did not have both at the same time, but I remember the big green box having a creamier sound over the LBM. I've only used the Green Muff on bass, but I remember my buddy getting instant Adam Jones tones with his Epiphone SG and a cheap dual 10" Fender amp.
Muff Wiggler
I love all muff's love

my favorite of all the ones I've tried so far is the RonSound HairPie '75

every one has something to love about it though. All the green russians I heard are wolly and boomy as hell. awesome.
tragedybysyntax
I'm thinking i'll keep an eye out for a triangle or one of the first ones also down the road.... Pumped to see how this inline with my fuzz factory and tube zipper sound! wink
tragedybysyntax
damn.. given the look, i thought the green russian was a 70's. More I'm researching it... i believe it's model 7? and it was made in the early 90's! very frustrating Oh well... so much for getting a 70's fuzz this xmas, lol
drewtoothpaste
I have had several, the green russian one is my favorite stock. Currently I have a 00s reissue (maybe 03 or 04?) which I added a rotary switch to - it selects between different diode setups (LEDs, 4148s, schottkys, and a couple asymmetric setups.)

The green russian dude is the best though, including the original.
Chuck E. Jesus
i have a green one also...had a slightly older gray sovtek, a jack was busted from the board so i gave it away...the green ones have chassis mounted jacks, both have the super heavy duty case you could easily beat someone to death with...and i think they look cooler than the 70's/reissue model thumbs up
Chuck E. Jesus
drewtoothpaste wrote:
which I added a rotary switch to - it selects between different diode setups (LEDs, 4148s, schottkys, and a couple asymmetric setups.)

interesting...
fracinfrucer
I also have the green russian one. I bought it new a loooong time ago and it looks like it went through a war and still is my favorite fuzz. I wish I would've bought a couple more back then! I also have an old Little Big Muff that sounds great on bass guitar.
tragedybysyntax
I'm thinking of trying to snag a ram's head edition too..... worth having the green russian and the ram's head you think?
Cybananna
Yea, the green and the ram should sound different enough. As for the ram, look into BYOC kit. It sounds like an original ram and is a true clone of it. You'll save a ton of money that way.

Also beware when buying vintage muffs. I've seen more than one beat up reissue being sold as vintage and even one ram's head with the original "guts" removed and replaced with reissue "guts" being sold as original vintage.
drewtoothpaste
I dunno how many other pedals you have, but I'd get a fuzz face, fuzz factory, tube screamer, metal zone, etc. instead of a second big muff.
tragedybysyntax
which one on their site is the ram's head clone?
tragedybysyntax
nm... large beaver! I'm going to have to order that kit and build that hoe! smile
Cybananna
That's it. I forgot the name. It's really close IMO. I have it now and it's very similar to the rams head I had.
tragedybysyntax
Yup... I think between that and the green russian I'm set! (however.. i'm still wanting a fender blender or foxx tone machine...) wink
antennafarm
another vote for the tanky green one.
onrust nv
I'm still looking for the green one, can't find it anyware.
I bought 2 green sovtek smallstones though we're not worthy .
Got also 3 last series russian BM's but the one in the wooden box sounds better than the ones in the cardboard box. The yellow paint on top is different to confused
tragedybysyntax
So, I know it's been awhile but.... the green tanky one is AWESOME! Fucking awesome on guitar alone! smile
indexofmetals
i highly recommend the icbm fuzz http://www.rawbw.com/~emiller/Euthymia/Pedals/ICBM/) - only clone I've come across that sounds as good as the early big muff that a friend had let me use for recording years back
devnulljp
I've had a few muffs in my time...Mr. Green
First issue Green Russian is pretty good. Didn't like the second bubble font issue much. The ram's head w/ FS36999s is the best IMO.

doctorvague
I'm late to the party - I rarely pop in this area.

I'm curious what this might be worth. I bought it new but don't have a clue what year. It's missing 2 rubber feet and the 4 front screws. Needs a new power switch and foot switch or maybe they could be taken apart and fixed. The transistors are BC239C. If you jiggle the switches just right it works fine and sounds fucking great!

chromium
doctorvague wrote:

I'm curious what this might be worth. I bought it new but don't have a clue what year. It's missing 2 rubber feet and the 4 front screws. Needs a new power switch and foot switch or maybe they could be taken apart and fixed. The transistors are BC239C. If you jiggle the switches just right it works fine and sounds fucking great!

They refer to those as the "ram's head" version. Had one just like it for most of my life, but off'd it about a year ago and bought modules or basses or sumpthin' w00t

Mine went for ~450 (it had an extra hole drilled in its case), and I've seen them go higher. Not an expert on the prices - don't pay much attention to these. Given their simplicity I think the prices are pretty much insane (IMHO). But then again, insanity is relative... This is fun!
doctorvague
chromium wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

They refer to those as the "ram's head" version. Had one just like it for most of my life, but off'd it about a year ago and bought modules or basses or sumpthin' w00t

Mine went for ~450 (it had an extra hole drilled in its case), and I've seen them go higher. Not an expert on the prices - don't pay much attention to these. Given their simplicity I think the prices are pretty much insane (IMHO). But then again, insanity is relative... This is fun!

Thanks for the info. I did a little research some months back out of curiosity and I was under the impression that the $450 ones had some other rare sought-after transistor (longer number than mine, but I don't recall the specifics). Maybe yours was one of those? I only hope I'm wrong and you're right and mine is worth more than I'm thinking!!
chromium
doctorvague wrote:
Thanks for the info. I did a little research some months back out of curiosity and I was under the impression that the $450 ones had some other rare sought-after transistor (longer number than mine, but I don't recall the specifics). Maybe yours was one of those? I only hope I'm wrong and you're right and mine is worth more than I'm thinking!!

Mine was based on Fairchild 2n5087 transistors, and looked exactly like yours inside and out.

It sounded good, but it was soooo noisy.. coulda doubled as a noise gen when I wasn't playing. I just thought it needed some help, but was never compelled to look into it. None of my other fuzz boxes are like that (for example, the much more vintagey Maestro FZ-1 and the W-2 have very low noise floor by comparison). I disclosed this in the sale and it still sold for that price! huh? The guy that bought it even told me "yeah they're noisy like that" d'oh! If that's normal, I just found it completely unusable... but then again that's been my only experience with one.
revmutt
Wow I missed this thread.. Here's my 2 cents anyway.

Triangle Knob is more mid rangy and I think a little more flexible. The first version of the red and black (pre IC) is heavy and fuzzy in a lower sort of Sabbath way and if you are curious about the development it's worth checking out the Axis which has two knobs and was originally badged as a Guild product.

The Green Russian is still cool sound. Black one not so hot. I don't have anything more current.
blungo2
Has the earthquaker hoof already been mentioned?
it shares some qualities with the green sovtek muff but a bit smoother to my ears.
Bricks
Skreddy Mayo is fav
Minimoog56
I have or had the D*A*M Ramshead Pi, a Lambshead and an 80's NYC. ALso an Ernie from Skreddy...

All AOK in my book - a classic design from Mike Matthews...
Babaluma
my vote is for the haiku-ish pnp germanium fuzz, he has one for sale on here now!
cerebrosis
i had a version 3 with reverse paint job(black with red stomp area) and it was smooth and seriously heavy. like a elephant on a slip and slide. smile
felixer
problem with the old muff's is 'built quality'. lots of different parts inside, sloppy solder work, no true bypass, weak case that bends when you look at it. hence they all sound different. try before you buy. recently got a used fairly new us big muff for 45 euro and it sounds better with less noise then my original '78 one. ymmv ....
line_and_shadow
Sorry to bump such an old thread- looking for muff recommendations, have recently been checking out the Buffalo FX RH-X, DAM RH, various Skreddy versions, etc...
Any recommendations here?
blungo2
For the most part i've gone back to my old sovtek green muff, but i recently got a Wren & Cuff Box of War which is very nice. Maybe a little hairier than the green muff, but definitely in the same ball park.
PrimateSynthesis
line_and_shadow wrote:
Sorry to bump such an old thread- looking for muff recommendations, have recently been checking out the Buffalo FX RH-X, DAM RH, various Skreddy versions, etc...
Any recommendations here?

As far as I can remember there are several big muff threads here. Perhaps they can be merged into one?

There are pedals based on the same circuit with more controls that offer a wider variety of sounds than any of the original three-knob designs.
tallhouserecordingco
Green Russian one is killer. Have a clone of one. Also have a mid 90s Russian one also good but parts are cheap....something broke a while back and haven't had time to fix it. Most likely the switch.
Check out the BYOC clones. I think they offer several different versions.
sduck
This one sounds like the one to get - at least for me.

PrimateSynthesis
While having a Big Muff that has more variation in sound is very good, trying to match the exact sound of any one particular model from the past is silly. Because it did not exist. While they didn't vary as ridiculously from unit to unit as Dallas Arbiter type fuzz pedals (due to their design's dependence on transistor specifications, combined with extremely wide manufacturing tolerances for those transistors). Big Muffs were hardly consistent -- even with the same graphics and hardware.

The most important differences between models are the high-pass capacitor values, the feedback capacitor values, and the RC values of the tone control. While these differed from model to model. And made a noticeable difference in sound. They also varied in both nominal value and tolerance among the "same" older models. EHX also interchangeably used ceramic, film, and electrolytic capacitors, for the same functions. Whether the type of cap made any difference in sound might be in the realm of reasonable opinion. It's inarguable that that electrolytic caps are much more likely to fail over time.

The clipping diodes might make some tiny difference, but I doubt it. Since they were all standard silicon switching diodes (eg. 1N4148) with very similar forward voltages.

As far as transistors are concerned, I severely doubt the type used made any difference in sound among all the NPN versions (there were also PNP, and an op-amp version). EHX neither measured the hFE of the transistors, nor used the same types of transistors in any particular model.

tl;dr: The big difference among Big Muffs is the capacitor values.
gentle_attack
I owned a couple of Stomp Under Foot (SUF) reproduction Muffs. Would have to look up which "vintages." I bought and sold them some time ago when I was testing out a ton of fuzzes. He has 2 lines, his versions of Rats and Muffs which are consistently available and a bit less expensive, and then occasional runs of certain "vintages" years /versions/transistor+cap combinations, which are a bit more expensive.

I can't personally speak for the accuracy of the tones from those "vintage" models but a lot of people on tGP/DAM/I<3Fuzz seemed to think they were spot on and a solid combination of reliable/true bypass/accurate for the price.
tarotsync
I think the newest big box muffs are absolutely wonderful.
Sinamsis
I used to own a black box Soviet Big Muff. I really liked it on bass. The green Muff always gets a lot of love. These days my go to fuzz is the Eau Claire Thunder by Dwarfcraft. I think the circuit was based off of the green Big Muff. Fantastic pedal. And great company.

As an aside, I always found the older EHX pedals pretty noisy. I've owned some other older big box EHX pedals and they all added quite a bit of noise to the signal, even when bypassed.
Knights Who Say Neve
I finished building a BYOC Large Beaver muff to Triangle specs last weekend. It's a great fuzz - pretty similar to the Earthquaker Devices Hoof in sound.

I had a Green Russian muff a while back, and I found the tone knob almost unusable; there was basically one position that sounded good. The triangle BYOC is usable with almost any combination of knob positions and can actually get a fuzzy OD-ish sound with the sustain knob turned down.
abandonist
I had a green Russian that was fantastic, but sold it after I got my Blackout Musket. So versatile.
mictester
The most important differences between models are the high-pass capacitor values, the feedback capacitor values, and the RC values of the tone control.

This is EXACTLY the case. You can also make sight changes to the gain of the distortion stages (make them more sensitive) by increasing the collector to supply resistors, or reducing the emitter resistors. However, the changes will be marginal.

I find it astonishing that some idiot musos will pay literally thousands of dollars for a cheap and simple effect like this. I saw one on Ebay a while ago that went for nearly $4000 eek! because it had been used on some album or other.....

I remember getting my very first BMP in 1970, and taking it apart. I was disappointed to discover that it was just four cheap transistors, four switching diodes, three pots and a handful of resistors and capacitors. It was just a week later that I sold my first - improved - clone of the BMP to a friend in the neighbourhood. thumbs up He still uses it today, so I must have made a good job of the construction! It was what got me into building guitar effects.

The only thing wrong with the stock circuit is the dreaded hiss - the gain of the distortion stages ensures that this will be ever-present! I've built them with noise gates, and even with envelope followers to retain the original guitar envelope (a truly bizarre effect, with a fuzzy, distorted, intermodulated mess that comes out of the Muff, but with the original attack, sustain and decay of an untreated guitar!). You can tame it a bit with a low pass filter, but you'll change the basic tonal character.....

It's really worth building one yourself. Throw it together on Veroboard. Make sure that you keep the input well away (physically) from the output to prevent building an oscillator! Try different coupling capacitors and caps in series with the diodes, until you get just the sound you want. Even if you had to buy all the parts, it shouldn't cost you more than a few £, $ or whatever.....

Just don't be fooled into paying massive amounts for something that anyone with even the most basic constructional skills can make in an hour or two!
strangeonlooker
A lot of people swear by Earthbound Audio's Supercollider and Supercollider '71 (this one is their Ram's Head clone I guess)..it's basically a Big Muff with a lot more tonal variety (knobs for Mids, Bass and a switch for LED or Sillicon clipping)...I can't attest to its performance (although the demos do sound great) since I don't own one or have never played one personally, but if I was buying a Muff pedal, this would probably be it.
GraysonJames
The best muff I've ever played wasn't actually a muff. It was a TYM rams head clone. I compared it to an original Rams head and somehow Tym's sounded better. Go figure hmmm.....
AhuraMazda
mictester wrote:
[i]

Just don't be fooled into paying massive amounts for something that anyone with even the most basic constructional skills can make in an hour or two!

What he said. Go my route and pay fuck all for a sweet Triangle clone that sounds waaayyy better than it should.

All Hail the Triangle.
felixer
tarotsync wrote:
I think the newest big box muffs are absolutely wonderful.

mictester wrote:

The only thing wrong with the stock circuit is the dreaded hiss - the gain of the distortion stages ensures that this will be ever-present!

on the newer ones they use low-noise transistors thumbs up def worth getting a new one and modding the caps if you want something specific. or better yet, get a kit and source some good parts ...
also check these pages http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_versions_schematics_part1.html
HexCrank
I love the black russian, super deep fuzzzz
nangu
I bought a Ram's Head clone yesterday. Partly because it has way cool shrimp graphics, but mostly because you guys said that Ram's Head was awesome.

https://reverb.com/item/2664488-shrimp-13-76-ram-s-head-muff-clone-201 5-purple

I'm an aquarium nut with a serious weak spot for crustaceans. I have lots of freshwater shrimp- Blue Jelly, Bloody Mary, Carbon Black, Blue Rilli, and Ghost shrimp. Plus some freshwater crabs from Lake Tanganyika.

I'll bring it to Knobcon if anybody wants to check it out..
moloque
Haven't tried all but none for me, Dead Banana way too muddy for my taste. For monstrous fuzz nothing better than the Devy ever super massive black hole. Or for synthy fuzz the Copilot orbit.... But that's only me seriously, i just don't get it
moloque
Oups double post!
Cat-A-Tonic
I have a way huge swollen pickle.

I think a pickle fits somewhere in the spectrum of muff pies.

Can anyone tell me specifically where to stick it?

screaming goo yo poke
Andrew_Culture
I have a clone of the (green?) Russian Big Muff, it was made my by a local pedal boutique type affair. I had it custom made so I could have a blend knob added to the original design, it makes a huge difference!

It was also cheaper than buying an original smile
gentle_attack
Not a muff but I love the Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz. Can do all kinds of Si and GE textures, hugging sustain or gated type sounds. Worth a peep/listen if you're into a more modern fuzz box.
PrimateSynthesis
Andrew_Culture wrote:
I have a clone of the (green?) Russian Big Muff, it was made my by a local pedal boutique type affair. I had it custom made so I could have a blend knob added to the original design, it makes a huge difference!

I do find it odd that fuzz and distortion pedals rarely ever have wet/dry controls.
dkcg
Only Muffs I have are not EH Muffs. A Tall Font Russian by Wren and Cuff and a Box of War by them. I also have a Catlinbread Manx Louhan or whatever it's called. I think I prefer fuzzface type fuzz and octave fuzzes, but a man always needs a good muff once in a while. Rockin' Banana! Dinner at the Y
felixer
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Andrew_Culture wrote:

I do find it odd that fuzz and distortion pedals rarely ever have wet/dry controls.

yes. then again: it's fairly easy to make a second/dry channel by splitting the signal before the fuzz. or, even better, rewire your guitar for two (or three) outputs: one for each pickup. now you can have different fx, switchable/controlable from your guitar and zero interference. and optimize the signal path by picking the best pickup/fx combination: humbucker for fuzz, single coil/piezo for clean. amplify those thru different (optimized) amps/speakers and you can get really huge/orchestral effects: it can easily sound like two or three players at the same time.

btw the newer green ehx bass big muff does have a switch to add the dry signal to the fuzz. very usefull as esp bass tends to loose a lot of punch when you use heavy distortion. hence the often used studio technique to record two tracks: one clean/di and another crunchy/distorted/amp. no reason why you couldn't/shouldn't do the same thing live ... or with guitar ...
negativspace
When I build them (I do build pedals on occasion, by request) I usually go for a sort of hybrid triangle/ram's head kind of design. Just did one for my brother a couple weeks ago, came out amazingly well. A few custom cap values and a mod or two...

I'm also a fan of using poly caps throughout the audio path, and silver micas in a couple of strategic spots, but we all know that's nothing but a fool's pursuit.
felixer
negativspace wrote:
.... but we all know that's nothing but a fool's pursuit.

not at all thumbs up
if you want really smooth/creamy you could even try some paper-in-oil as coupling caps ...
mitchelviolins
i had a friend build me a black russian clone v7. as a guitar effect i want two of them. super versatile and takes all signals well. turns a microbrute into an acid machine and tones down the acidity of a tt303. more bass signal than most big muff circuits
Mr. Mulcahy
Baja Tech DA MOAF
calaveras
i like the Double Muff. It's based on the precursor to the Muff Fuzz, but times two.
About 8 years ago I modded one of the two Muffs with a pot on leg of one of the transistors (I forget whether it was the B, E, or C) and a switch voicing capacitor.
I was trying to expand the low end to make it better for bass guitar.
Utterly failed to make it work in that regard, but it inadvertently made this sputtering gated fuzz. Which, when you crank the 'new' pot gets into a nice overdrive. REmember that voicing cap? Well I added that on a switch because I bought a mess of DPDT switches on ebay once. The alternate voicing cap that didn't really help with my low end (thanks math!) did add this kind of turbo boost to the overdrive with some kind of wavefolding/speaker ripping type of sound.
I mean, I almost think I could make pedals like this and sling that shit on etsy.
basicbasic
I just got a Biyang FZ-7 which is a Big Muff clone with a 3-way switchable clipping circuit (1n4148s, LED, something else - not sure). Anyway, built like a brick-shithouse and cheap enough to mod the crap out of - I put in a switch to drop in or out the first clipping stage (ala Tonebender) as well as a bias pot to make it go all spluttery.

I'm more of a Fuzzrite kind of person but this is a cheap way to get some Muff into my life.
tuj
I dunno, what are you going for? I like the Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss, really think. On the lower end the Big Muff with Tone Wicker is actually a really great cheap pedal. If you like the Russian, KO Amps has a good clone.

When it comes to fuzz, everything is taste. The more controls you have the better to shape the sound and the more you try, the better chance you will find what you like. I have literally played 100+ fuzzes. They start to blend together...

If you want something really unique, check out FuzzHugger's Algal Bloom. It's my favorite of them all. Not a Muff really, but then again, what really is?
Yodhan
I worked at a music store for 7 and half years, primarily in the department that dealt with pedals. I have heard multiple pedals of all the versions. One thing I found with ththe Big Muff, especially the Russian ones, is that they all sound different. I have owned more Muffs than any other pedal, currently still have two in my possession. One, my favorite, is a Whizzer modded Black Russian model. The other is a 10 year old American model that I picked up in trade for something. It was missing a knob. I 'relieved' it of another knob and gave it a huge dent when my bass and it got together at the end of a set once. Still sounds awesome.

Moral of this long winded story. Play a bunch. Buy it the one you like. Keep playing more of them. You may find a better one. Don't rule out clones and DIY pedals. I have friends who swear by other versions. Have fun. At least they are cheaper than most modules.
casterbro
I had all big muff ever made at the same time some years ago... several triangle, bunch of ram's head, all soviet made Big muff and even the Red Army Overdrive...

Same spirit for all Big Muff but so many differences... even between Ram's head! Had 5 at the same times and all were sounding their own way.
My favorite was the Ram's head (all versions: pink, blue ink etc...) and the Civil War Sovtek!

Bought some clone as well and some were as good!
murch33
I've been through a ton of the boutique Muff options, and the Skreddy Ernie is still my favorite. For non-boutique I really like the standard issue Sovtek green Russian.

Honorable mention to the OG Skreddy Mayo and Euthymia ICBM, those are also really really nice sounding.
casterbro
Tried a lot of clones and Skreddy were great but quite expensive... the Large Beaver from BYOC was really close to an original vintage BM. That's the one I recommend for low cost vintage BM sound but not low sound! Very close to an original.
Captainunderdog
3 pages and nobody has mentioned the Pharaoh Fuzz. I have tried a lot of Big Muffs through the years and the Pharaoh is at least one of the most versatile and not muddy(at will) "Big Muffs" out there.
casterbro
Captainunderdog wrote:
3 pages and nobody has mentioned the Pharaoh Fuzz. I have tried a lot of Big Muffs through the years and the Pharaoh is at least one of the most versatile and not muddy(at will) "Big Muffs" out there.

You're right, got it and it was really great but my Jimmy Behan clone was just better twisted In 2011 or so when I had all my BM, I sent my favorite one to Jimmy Behan in Ireland. I wanted him to clone that one (it was a ram's head). He cloned it and add some nice features (toggle switch to alter EQ if wanted). It was important to get this mods because I was using my BM with guitars AND basses. That clone was exactly sounding like my favorite ram's head and it was so versatile. Sold all my big muff clones but still have that one!
Jimmy Behan did 30 of them at that time if I remember will (3 batches of 10 that were sold immediately)
Captainunderdog
casterbro wrote:
Captainunderdog wrote:

You're right, got it and it was really great but my Jimmy Behan clone was just better twisted In 2011 or so when I had all my BM, I sent my favorite one to Jimmy Behan in Ireland. I wanted him to clone that one (it was a ram's head). He cloned it and add some nice features (toggle switch to alter EQ if wanted). It was important to get this mods because I was using my BM with guitars AND basses. That clone was exactly sounding like my favorite ram's head and it was so versatile. Sold all my big muff clones but still have that one!
Jimmy Behan did 30 of them at that time if I remember will (3 batches of 10 that were sold immediately)

The best option is always build it yourself or let someone do it for you but I figured not too many people have that option so that's why finger pointed to the great old Pharaoh.
Interesting, I don't see how the standard tone stack would interfere with bass guitar especially on the pharaoh where you can dial the mids back in. Do you know what he did to the tone stack in your clone? What's also very important is to change the coupling caps (which he probably did) so no low end gets filtered out. Ops.. guess I got a little bit off topic here. hihi
casterbro
Here's the mod:

1. stock setting, the classic scooped mids Big Muff sound.
2. flat, flattens the EQ response with a small mid boost.
3. peaked mids, adds more low/mid boost, great for cutting through any mix.
The second switch selects one of 3 clipping options:
1. stock setting, with both sets of diodes engaged.
2. bypasses the first set of diodes, which allows a lot of low end through and is great for bass players.
3. bypasses both sets of diodes, less clipped sound and a huge boost in output level.
It’s built on vero with 2N5088 silicon transistors, 1N419 silicon diodes, Panasonic film caps, metal film resistors, polarity protection, power filtering and shielded cable to reduce hum and noise, Switchcraft jacks, true bypass switching, a bright white LED, genuine Daka-ware knobs and finished in a durable copper vein powdercoat.
Captainunderdog
I like them details! Thanks for sharing them. 5088 trannies have a lower gain than the 5089 (which are in the Pharaoh). So the 5088 could potentially sound better in there, depending on taste. I got to dig into this.

Update: The gain difference is supposedly very marginal between the two. However other characteristic of the transistor could of course provide a different flavor compared to the 5089. Not to mention all the other mods you posted and component values difference in your clone vs the pharaoh.
Ok.. that's enough of my rambling.
zlotan
love my black russian big muff... dont play it too often now... but it was my first fuzz and made my addicion started help ... i am more into fuzz faces or tonebenders... but every now and then i dig up that old rusty box and play it very loud! applause
smitty.west
i've owned a ton of muffs over the years, but am currently without a single one and actively on the search. previously i really enjoyed the offerings by skreddy, mainly the zero and mayo. right now there's a few i'm intrigued by; noel cornet (no longer made, but the most beautiful guts ever- google it!), tym big mudd, arc effects big green, stomp under foot and even the cornish p1/p2. which muff circuit is considered the highest gain with biggest/tightest bottom end?
controlFreak
Lottsa new ones from garage builders and boutiquie brands.

I like the options of diode switches, pre-boosts, and expanded EQ sections pre and post distortion stages.

I dig the blackout effectors musket and blunderbuss-both are excellent examples of the above
Jason Brock
Just got an Earthquaker Devices Hoof and it is excellent. Gives me that warm and fuzzy "you complete me" feeling. Or at least as much as a box of transistors and capacitors can.
futureman
I just picked up one of the spankin new green russian reissues and I'm really liking it (and the compact size). I stack an archer overdrive ahead of it to sweeten things up and bring back in some highs. Sounds mean with my bass too.
Shadoweclipse13
I've had a few myself, and found that the BYOC Large Beaver (which I built to Triangle specs) was my favorite. Triangle just seems to my ears to be the most musical, though the Green Russian would be a close second.

Vick Audio makes a few VERY nice clones of most of the Muff models (Triangle, Ram's Head, Purple Ram's Head based on David Gilmour's Animals tone I believe), and includes a mids-switch on all of them (mid-scooper (classic Muff tone), neutral, and mids-boost).

My favorite sounding Muff (which I've never played) is the Jam Pedals Red Muck. It's supposed to be somewhere right between an original Triangle and a Green Russian and sounds incredible.Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - (Jam Pedals RED MUCK Crazy lo-fi sound!!!)

Also, that dude is CRAZY talented.
sutekina bipu-on
I need to hear the reissue black russian one because I foolishly tried to do transistor mods to my black Big Muff i bought new around 2005, killed it as it was my first soldering job ever, and then lost the guts to it. (I may have even cut the PCB out of the case, god damn what was I thinking)

I still have it around at my parent's place somewhere and really need to repair it.
The Grump
indexofmetals wrote:
i highly recommend the icbm fuzz http://www.rawbw.com/~emiller/Euthymia/Pedals/ICBM/) - only clone I've come across that sounds as good as the early big muff that a friend had let me use for recording years back

This. Erik Miller is a wizard, and this pedal is SSIIIICCCKK!!
Howie_Doodat
i bought the Muffuletta and i Muff uh love it!
notjoesuthers
I have a Bluebeard clone that is monstrous on bass. Would love to find an original Bluebeard or an original Rams Head to see how they compare.
HighLordFixer
or you can start with this circuit and mod from there until it pleases
HighLordFixer

Personally Eye always use soviet Bigmuff scored for $10 then heavily modified as my goto on bass tracks
worra
The triangle muff is my personal favorite but that's just me. Gets so gnarly and doomy.
huffnPuff
I’ve almost given on muff pedals untill I settled on the Basic Audio Tri/ Dirty Booster - a remake of a classic Hofner clone. Best muff I’ve played.
The Grump
+1 on the Euthymia ICBM. Erik Miller is a wizard, and used to work for Orban. He's still my amp guy, too. Does great work.
thebends9
Id have to give my violent Rams Head the edge for just for the sustain alone. I also have a tall font green russian that I believe is broken but I wont get it fixed. There is a bizarre sweep on it that just kills on bass. One of those weird quirks that is irreplaceable
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 4