MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Malekko Spring Chicken!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Malekko Spring Chicken!
RetBody
i wants one!

http://bigcitymusicblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/malekko-spring-chicken-re verb-module.html

Now, the question is, when I bang the side of my case, does it make a big squergily noise?
wetterberg
hehe, unfortunately not smile Would be a cool idea though; have an accelerometer on it send out pulses to twang the virtual spring grin
cut with flourish
Looks nice - anyone have experience with the spring chicken pedal? Wondering how this would stack up next to a real spring like the Doepfer.
Exuviae
I'm intrigued by this as well, though I wonder if there will be CV over any cool parameters...
Aesoteric
Looks intriguing, especially for my live case, where the reverb tank is very sensitive to vibrations on stage.

By the look of the panel, there's CV control of Mix and Dwell.
wayne greenhaw
hell yea !!! cant wait for this one i have the pedal and it rocks we're not worthy
Peake
Isn't Dwell the Modcan spring reverb term? Is this a licensed product or simply similar terminology?

Go Malekko!
REwire
So what is this thing? Does it attach to a tank like the Doepfer or is it a BBD reverb, digital or some new design?

Dan
BugBrand
REwire wrote:
So what is this thing? Does it attach to a tank like the Doepfer or is it a BBD reverb, digital or some new design?

Dan

It apparently uses one of these

Peake wrote:
Isn't Dwell the Modcan spring reverb term? Is this a licensed product or simply similar terminology?

Go Malekko!

I'm sure Dwell has been used in other designs since ages.. but I can't think of any examples at the moment!
wetterberg
I've always wanted to hear that Belton thing - I'd certainly love to have one in my rig! (Although I would like that bbd even more!!!)
Re dwell, that's normal nomenclature, apparently;

fluxmonkey
BugBrand wrote:
REwire wrote:

Dan

It apparently uses one of these

that'd be cool if it used one of the belton modules, you can get those from smallbear... but i don't see anything in the data sheets for a "dwell"... are you sure that's what these use?

b
aetherpulse
The pedal kit from BYOC uses the Belton brick and it has Dwell. I think it is seperate circuit added on since the data sheet only shows an in and an out on the chip itself.
Malekko
Then SC module is our design, and not a Belton Brick.
aetherpulse
Malekko wrote:

That explains it then. Will it run on +/- 15?
REwire
Excuse my sceptisism, but what about a digital reverb in a module or anything, something to get excited about? I've never heard a good digital spring tank emulation, is this something unique and diferent? If it's a better nail of a spring it ought to be damn expensive and used in Eventides, TC's and Lexicons. hmmm.....
Malekko
aetherpulse wrote:
Malekko wrote:

That explains it then. Will it run on +/- 15?

Yes, there is a regulator involved so 15V wont hurt it.
Malekko
REwire wrote:
Excuse my sceptisism, but what about a digital reverb in a module or anything, something to get excited about? I've never heard a good digital spring tank emulation, is this something unique and diferent? If it's a better nail of a spring it ought to be damn expensive and used in Eventides, TC's and Lexicons. hmmm.....

I'm not sure what you're saying here...but w00t Guinness ftw!
suboptimal
REwire wrote:
is this something unique and diferent?

It's a Malekko! Uuuraah!! Urrrrhbbbbrrhrahaa!

Makenoise is rad as hell, but I absolutely worship the Malekko modules I have. Granted, I have absolutely zero interest in this module, and I kind of agree with your sentiment, but . . . it's a Malekko! Uuurraaahh! Buururabbbblttlttlllah!
REwire
suboptimal wrote:
REwire wrote:
is this something unique and diferent?

It's a Malekko! Uuuraah!! Urrrrhbbbbrrhrahaa!
!

That I can agree with. Josh wouldn't release anything unless it was tops. But I've wasted some dough on digital emulations before getting an RE-501 and upgrading my Doepfer Spring Reverb to a 16" Accutronics.

IMO, he should have just finished that RM600 before some digital thing. BBD Delay without whining is still not done....maybe it can't be seriously, i just don't get it

Dan
anselmi
REwire wrote:
I've never heard a good digital spring tank emulation

really? for me the EHX holy grail is a good example of one, even the most simple of the three (holy, holiest and holier grail reverb)
daverj
Peake wrote:

Dwell controls have been part of spring reverbs pretty much as long as they've been around. Fender reverb units in the early 60's had Dwell controls. It was a level control driving the spring. The harder you drive the spring, the longer the sound "dwells" (or lingers).

The original Hammond spring reverb patent from the 40s has the same control, but I don't know if they ever called it dwell. But I know Fender was using the term 46 years ago, so it certainly pre-dates Modcan.

A bit of trivia: The early spring tanks stood about 3 feet tall, had 5 springs, some in oil filled tubes. (maybe that's where the term "tank" came from?) It took Hammond about 20 years to come up with the small "portable" version that they licensed to Fender and others in the early 60s. Today's tanks are virtually identical to the Hammond portable tank from back then (except smaller).
Luka
why in oil?

that would be a fun thing to try make
Exuviae
So "Dwell" is kind of like a decay of sorts?
MrTea
Please excuse my ignorance here but why would one by a digital spring reverb when you could get the real thing? or possibly buy a pedal that does the same job and save space in your case..... hmmm.....

Maybe i'm missing something ? seriously, i just don't get it
Synesthesia
Hey Tea - a spring reveb can be a pain on stage - bass and vibration can make unwanted noises razz
MrTea
hmm make sense. Didn't think about that d'oh!

Maybe a good for noise artists though..... hihi
Malekko
MrTea wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance here but why would one by a digital spring reverb when you could get the real thing? or possibly buy a pedal that does the same job and save space in your case..... hmmm.....

Also Spring reverb tanks, and the cables attached to them can transmit noise from power supplies, other modules etc. Which is exactly why i sold my euro spring reverb.
MrTea
Malekko wrote:
MrTea wrote:

Also Spring reverb tanks, and the cables attached to them can transmit noise from power supplies, other modules etc. Which is exactly why i sold my euro spring reverb.

Was this the Dopefer A-199?

Has anybody else had this problem? I was quite keen on getting one but if it's going to turn out to be a bit of a turkey then maybe I should use the space for something else hmmm.....
gmcerveny
MrTea wrote:
Malekko wrote:
MrTea wrote:

Was this the Dopefer A-199?

Has anybody else had this problem? I was quite keen on getting one but if it's going to turn out to be a bit of a turkey then maybe I should use the space for something else hmmm.....

I had that issue. I put it in the top left corner of an a100p6 and added a ferrite core and wrapped the excess cord around it. That took care of most of the noise. Before that, I experimented with placing the tank outside the case with success. I imagine an a100p9 might have less interference.
daverj
Luka wrote:
why in oil?

that would be a fun thing to try make

I don't think the sound goes through all of the springs. I think the ones in oil are like shock absorbers, or maybe their sound bounces back much slower and adds a little vibration to the top of the main spring. I didn't read the details in the patent.

There's a couple pictures on this page:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/keng/kenhtml/Ken%27sSpecialEffects.ht m
johnnymad
i got a really long rca cable and used rca to rca connectors to put my reverb tank as far away from the psu as possible. haven't had any problems since.
digitalganesha
REwire wrote:

Oh yeah... how about $150 for the best spring emulation you've ever heard?
Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo. I've tried every digital pedal known to man to match my Retubeverb, spring tanks, etc. and this one kills the Spring Chicken (old version), Holy Grail, anything else.

With that said, I am probably going to buy the new Chicklet pedal from Josh, as I love his products and am super excited that it's their own chip inside now!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2