MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY euro case...rails?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DIY euro case...rails?
rtopia
hey guys...

Every time I read one of these DIY threads - I feel your pain.

obviously I've been in rail hell for the last 6 months and I can inform you with 100% certainty that you will wait many weeks for Mouser to deliver TS180's, TS300's and TS600's - because they're not stocking them.

If it helps I have a source for Schroff:

Kristen Person
Inside Sales
Pentair Electronic Packaging Company
KPerson@Pentair-ep.com
Ph: (401)535-4846
Fax: (401)738-7988
**Pentair's order minimum is now $2500.00. This is excluding front panels, AMC product, modified cabinets and cases.

If you are unable to make the $2500 minimum (like a group buy) - she will refer you to the nearest dealer

I used them a year ago when developing the Rack6 and the ATA version of the Mission series. They were awesome to deal with.

I hope this helps.

[r]
6.4 Billion
itijik wrote:
Thanks guys.

Are the Schroff rails cheaper, and where can you order them easily?

I've ordered a Schroff subrack from Calgreg. It was a couple years ago, but the price seemed reasonable and there was no minimum order quantity. Last time I looked you could get all the various components. They also have thick (3mm?) blanking panels.
wetterberg
itijik wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
itijik wrote:
I guess there won't be any where in USA that has these? Where did you get your rails, johnny?
see it would have helped if you had stated your location either in the original post or in your info off to the side. Then I wouldn't have spent time digging out links for you. seriously, i just don't get it

Sorry pal, I will update my info now thumbs up
good shit. Hug
ersatzplanet
rtopia wrote:
hey guys...

Every time I read one of these DIY threads - I feel your pain.

*/snip/*

**Pentair's order minimum is now $2500.00. This is excluding front panels, AMC product, modified cabinets and cases.

If you are unable to make the $2500 minimum (like a group buy) - she will refer you to the nearest dealer

[r]

Do you still buy from Scroff? Have you ever thought of offering the rails and threaded strips for sale as DIY kits. I understand that that may go against you business model but I bet that the first cabinet maker that is forced to buy large quantities and then offers some parts as DIY kits would make some money back doing it. I have a need for a bunch of rails and inserts (a new project) but am not willing to dump $2500 into it yet. I would buy a bunch.
-James
rtopia
ersatzplanet wrote:

Do you still buy from Scroff? Have you ever thought of offering the rails and threaded strips for sale as DIY kits. I understand that that may go against you business model but I bet that the first cabinet maker that is forced to buy large quantities and then offers some parts as DIY kits would make some money back doing it. I have a need for a bunch of rails and inserts (a new project) but am not willing to dump $2500 into it yet. I would buy a bunch.
-James

I didn't intend for that post to confuse anyone.
It's not necessary to place an order of $2500 - that info was for Schroff's US distributor and they will refer to a local dealer if you're not ordering their minimum.

(this part may go a little OT - sorry)

The Monorocket biz model doesn't really rule out anything for DIY (eg. we're now selling our distros - available this week). We've got a long list of things we'd like to do, but we're currently focused on improving our delivery cycle for the cases (our core biz) before adding other lines.
itijik
Well, I would rather just buy a moonrocket case than try to hunt down parts Mr. Green

If I don't figure out something within the next month or so, I will do just that. Should I get on a waiting list or something, rtopia?
Hi5
Digikey usually stocks the 16" and 20" vector rails.
Longer ones usually not unfortunately though.
Popski
ersatzplanet wrote:
I bet that the first cabinet maker that is forced to buy large quantities and then offers some parts as DIY kits would make some money back doing it. I have a need for a bunch of rails and inserts (a new project) but am not willing to dump $2500 into it yet. I would buy a bunch.
-James

synthcase.com
hihi
rtopia
itijik wrote:
Should I get on a waiting list or something, rtopia?

No waiting list - just contact your dealer.

without hijacking this thread....

The current dealer stock outs originate with us.
We didn't anticipate the demand properly, we've begun to contract out our manufacturing.

Hopefully all dealers will be regularly stocked within the next 60 days (half of what's being built today is already allocated to customers)

That being said - I personally believe that DIY should always be an element in the modular culture and see a benefit to helping anyone interested get access to parts.
MrManson
rtopia wrote:
...many weeks for Mouser to deliver TS180's, TS300's and TS600's - because they're not stocking them.

Just a quick update on this for euro based folks - and obviously this is my own experience, not a guarantee that anyone else will get the same result - but I ordered 6 TS300's from Mouser in the UK on Tuesday, and rather miraculously the delivery just arrived. Nothing ever gets delivered in 2 days here. Ever. And they came from Germany!

I guess the DIY gods were smiling on me - and now there's no excuse for me to put off trying to build a case over xmas... <gulp>
Monobass
MrManson wrote:
rtopia wrote:
...many weeks for Mouser to deliver TS180's, TS300's and TS600's - because they're not stocking them.

Just a quick update on this for euro based folks - and obviously this is my own experience, not a guarantee that anyone else will get the same result - but I ordered 6 TS300's from Mouser in the UK on Tuesday, and rather miraculously the delivery just arrived. Nothing ever gets delivered in 2 days here. Ever. And they came from Germany!

I guess the DIY gods were smiling on me - and now there's no excuse for me to put off trying to build a case over xmas... <gulp>

Hey MrManson... that's good news. I'm struggling to work out which parts I need for a 19" 12U case as there are no drawings on UK Mouser.... can you give me any tips?

thanks
MrManson
funtykigs wrote:
I'm struggling to work out which parts I need for a 19" 12U case...
thanks

Try these for a start on subracks...

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm
http://www.vectorelect.com/
http://www.schroff.co.uk/internet/html_uk/index.html

As for making cases, there's so much good information right here on the forum that I'd be foolish to repeat it all - try searching for terms like "cases and rails" - here are some I found...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9276
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11297
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10510
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9443
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1741

...you get the idea!

Good luck - some day soon I'll rediscover my motivation and actually do something with the pile of parts that I've accumulated!!!
BananaPlug
I just used some TS300's. The extrusion has a channel running down the middle which, from the end, can accept a #8 screw (though I imagine there's a metric size that fits even better). I built a frame like this to make it easier to get everything in the right place before making a box. You can probably find drawings if you search more widely. I've seen them but I don't have the URL.
qu.one
and theres alway s the elby racks...

http://elby-designs.com/panther/subrack/subracks.htm
jonkull
I did't read teh whole thread but...

Schroff.us referred me to a company called icorally and at the time their minimum order for Schroff racks, rails and threaded strips was only $100. That was 6 months ago but if I can find the contact info for the salesperson I dealt with I can check and post back here if the $100 minimum is still normal. I want to get a couple threaded strips myself so if anyone else needs something maybe we can do a group buy.
goiks
i could use that contact info if you can find it, i need to place a substantial order.
Monobass
MrManson wrote:
As for making cases, there's so much good information right here on the forum that I'd be foolish to repeat it all - try searching for terms like "cases and rails" - here are some I found...

Thanks yeah I read all those threads, it really is just the rails I couldn't find info about on any of the threads, the specifics of what TS300 and TS600 are exactly, no pictures on Mouser UK.

Finally tracked down the cross section dug away in a pdf on the vector site.

@bananaplug - That's very useful to see thanks smile
Monobass
Oh I'm presuming there is no reason that these rails can't be cut down right? They're just extruded sections with nothing unique along the length?
BananaPlug
Yes. They may not be the exact length either. One of mine was a tad longer than the other.
MrManson
TS300/600 here (probably what you've found already).

These particular rails have slots for you to load lots of nuts into, so you can cut them to whatever length you like. Other makes may have pre-drilled holes, or slots for strips of pre-drilled holes.

Good thread about rails and nuts etc here -edit: oops, sorry it's this one - I made a recursive link!!!
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
BananaPlug wrote:
Need some square nuts for those struts?
100 2-56 $ 5.70
100 4-40 $ 2.00

THESE 4-40 NUTS DO NOT FIT VECTOR RAILS FROM MOUSER!!! DO NOT BUY!!! ERRORRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

or atleast not the TS600 I bought. angry
widgetoz
My Construct-A-Rack series has all the parts you need to build your own racks.
Rails can be cut to any length you want as long as it is a whole multiple of 5.08mm (1HP)Construct-A-Rack
fungitec
You can order Schroff rails in any lengths from your local schroff dealer. I think they only offered them in bulk when I called a couple of years ago... Swedish dealer.
Brownian Lotion
I second Elby Designs. Ordered them monday, arrived wednesday.

True, I live only 100km away, but that's damn fine service considering auspost takes 1-2 days to get it here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2