MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

making poly sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author making poly sounds
granville
Would it be possible to make a polyphonic patch using multiple instances of the voice controller?

So first voice controller's cv is fed out of output 1 to the cv in on VCO 1.
First voice controller's gate is fed from output 2 to the gate in on the EG.
Second voice controller's cv is fed out of output 3 to the cv in on VCO 2.

I tried it briefly before work this morning but couldn't get it going and ran out of time. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?
os
Yes, polyphonic operation is fully supported - there's a section on it in the user manual.

What's your host app?

granville
Thanks Os, I'm using Logic 9 with an Ultralite mk3.

Maybe I don't mean polyphony in that sense. I was thinking more about having 2 melodies on 2 separate channels in Logic, which feed the VCO's separately, then mix them in the modular and send them out through the same envelope.

Can you do that? Have 2 instances of voice controller working separately on different channels?

Having said that I haven't used the polyphonic setup at all yet, perhaps this will do what I want it to in a better way.
os
Ah right, yes, you can do that. You just use two copies of the Voice Controller. There's really nothing more to it than that.

What was the problem you were having earlier?
granville
One channel didn't seem happy, but having said that it was one of those jump out of bed still half asleep attempts so I probably forgot something.

Will try again later. Thanks.
emergencyofstate
I'm trying this and am a bit confused on how to calibrate.

Say I want to start simple with 2 voices.

1. MIDI Channel - sending incoming midi to SW channel.
2. Audio Channel - SW Voice Controller VST (sending audio to sends only, set VST set to master, 2 voices.)
3. Audio Channel - Audio in from SW. Ext out 3/4
4. Audio Channel - Audio in from SW. Ext out 5/6
5. Audio Channel - In from synth (sending audio to SW, tried calibrating from here and didn't work)

What am I missing?
skweeegor
You need an instance of voice controller for each voice. Your first audio channel will be the master VC.

Following your example, channel 2 will be the master voice controller, with the output going nowhere (os does this in a video by putting it to sends only, but I'm pretty sure sending it to no output would be the same result). Use this channel to calibrate and save the calibration file. Set the channel to master, 2 voices.

Your midi channel should be routed to this master voice controller channel as you mentioned.

Then on channel 3, load another instance of the voice controller, load the calibration file you saved earlier, and route the audio from your master voice controller to this channel, and route the output to whichever channel will be sending cv to your first voice. Also, make sure to set it to 'voice', channel 1.

Do the same with the next channel, except set the voice to channel 2.

I think the problem in your procedure is you're trying to calibrate after setting up poly with a fifth channel, which is a bit backwards and unnecessarily complicated. Before doing anything, try setting up the voice controller as you would for a mono voice, and calibrate as usual (using just one oscillator of course). Then use that calibration file to set up poly for all the voices.

This is the way I did it, and it works perfectly.

Good Luck!
emergencyofstate
oh k. thanks for that! I'm going to try this when I get home from band practice. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

will.report.back
os
I thought we agreed that you didn't actually need to use the polyphonic support in Silent Way at all?

If you're not actually playing chords from a single stream of MIDI, you effectively have two monophonic synths, not a poly synth.
emergencyofstate
os wrote:
I thought we agreed that you didn't actually need to use the polyphonic support in Silent Way at all?

If you're not actually playing chords from a single stream of MIDI, you effectively have two monophonic synths, not a poly synth.

was this directed at me? I'm not sure what you mean, but I do plan on playing true polyphonic chords through the same midi stream. I have 4 oscillators but wanted to start out with 2 because I didn't understand the set up.
os
Ah, OK.

I think the key is to either calibrate with a mono setup, and save the calibration for re-use by the polyphonic voices, or to calibrate the voices individually. In your earlier post you appeared to be trying to calibrate the master (and you had no voices).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1