MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Two Anti Oscillators or another HD?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Two Anti Oscillators or another HD?
blungo2
Well i did it, i put my AFG up for sale, which means i'll be getting another osc or two to replace it.

It seems like oscillators work well in pairs so my first thought was a second Hertz Donut, i'm totally nuts about it, i think it's the best thing sliced bread.

OTOH i could almost pick up two antis for the price of an HD. The Anti Oscillator is one i've been very curious about from the start.

Does anyone have opinions on how two Antis sound with FM?

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
berfmurret
suboptimal
I should have an opinion later this week, because I've got a pair of AO's on the way.
blungo2
suboptimal wrote:
I should have an opinion later this week, because I've got a pair of AO's on the way.

Cool! Can we hope for some FM clips then? nanners nanners nanners
REwire
The Anti-Osc really just creates two waveforms, one which can be waveshaped all to hell, so with just Anti's and an HD you'd not have any analogue saws or pulse wave modulatable squares. Really depends on what kinds of sounds you want but I'd add in an analog osc like the AFG only smaller and fatter sounding. If you like digital or weird sounding oscs wait for the Piston Honda and MOTM stuff.

Dan
parasitk
edit: nevermind
itijik
Hmm, I have seen quite a few AFGs selling off here.

I'm curious...what oscillator is putting this guy to shame? seriously, i just don't get it
suboptimal
blungo2 wrote:
Cool! Can we hope for some FM clips then? nanners nanners nanners

I've got big visions of posting some samples, though with me, these big visions invariably turn into big nothings. However, I'll see what I can put together - the AO does lack good demos online, and I bought in part on faith that the Malekko/Wiard modules are amazing.

I think the AFG's availability used is directly related to its popularity with Euro newbs, and also its size.
jonkull
I have a pair of AFGs, a pair of Anti-Oscs and a pair of Hertz Donuts. You can't go wrong with any of them. I think the AFGs have a nice vintagey sound for subtractive stuff. The AOs and HDs all FM nicely. I can't imagine selling any of them. I've been surprised at the AFGs for sale as well. Is it a space thing? My only complaint about them is how big they are.
REwire
itijik wrote:
Hmm, I have seen quite a few AFGs selling off here.

I'm curious...what oscillator is putting this guy to shame? seriously, i just don't get it

The AFG is one I sold then bought again. I think the raw waveforms are a bit thin and cold and just liked that animated pulse. When I missed using that pulse I bought it again. Now again I'm saying, is that anim pulse I use once in a blue moon worth all that space? This time I am just going to mothball it when the osc I'm thinking will rule - the Bubblesound wrVCO comes out. Considering how great the uLFO sounds, it'll be tops!

D
Glitchmachines
I have always wondered why people say matched pairs of oscillators are best. Could someone elaborate?

What would be the advantage, say, of having a pair of AOs rather than one AO and another osc to compliment it?
blungo2
REwire wrote:
The Anti-Osc really just creates two waveforms, one which can be waveshaped all to hell, so with just Anti's and an HD you'd not have any analogue saws or pulse wave modulatable squares. Really depends on what kinds of sounds you want but I'd add in an analog osc like the AFG only smaller and fatter sounding. If you like digital or weird sounding oscs wait for the Piston Honda and MOTM stuff.

Dan

So the Anti is all sine waves? That's fine with me, that's all i ever use.

Forgot to mention i have a Piston Honda ordered. Also seriously considering a Cloud Generator.
blungo2
jonkull wrote:
I have a pair of AFGs, a pair of Anti-Oscs and a pair of Hertz Donuts. You can't go wrong with any of them. I think the AFGs have a nice vintagey sound for subtractive stuff. The AOs and HDs all FM nicely. I can't imagine selling any of them. I've been surprised at the AFGs for sale as well. Is it a space thing? My only complaint about them is how big they are.

No, and this is just me in particular i'm sure, but i only ever use the sine out and the only other voice i use on it is the anti-matter setting. There are obviously ten billion cool things that can be done with it, but these days digital sine waves are all i use. I just feel like it's kind of going to waste in that i'm way underusing the power of the AFG.
REwire
blungo2 wrote:

No sines in the Anti. There's a Triangle out and a Mayhem out. The raw mayhem sound is a square with a slight saw tooth slant to make it more harmonic. That's one one that gets waveshaped. It's not subtle either, very hard to modulate in between clean and dirty, the sound gets distorted with a slight turn of the wave knob..
blungo2
REwire wrote:
blungo2 wrote:

No sines in the Anti. There's a Triangle out and a Mayhem out. The raw mayhem sound is a square with a slight saw tooth slant to make it more harmonic. That's one one that gets waveshaped. It's not subtle either, very hard to modulate in between clean and dirty, the sound gets distorted with a slight turn of the wave knob..

Oh, thanks.
That's making me lean more towards another HD.
itijik
blungo2 wrote:
...Also seriously considering a Cloud Generator.

omg yes! I am sold on that one.

The AFG does take a ton of space for just one oscillator. But I don't think I could ever sell mine. The animation section is a ton of fun.

...Well, maybe I might think differently with the new oscillators I am planning. hmmm.....
blungo2
Listening again to the youtube BCM demo, i still find both the triangle and mayhem sounds quite intriguing.

Might be nice to have a little analog contrast to my digital oscillators.
dkcg
blungo2 wrote:
Listening again to the youtube BCM demo, i still find both the triangle and mayhem sounds quite intriguing.

I don't have an AO, but I think once the signal gets through the LPG (or Borg in their videos), the triangles and other sharp edges are rounded off giving a smoother that expected FM sound. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
blungo2
dkcg wrote:
blungo2 wrote:

I don't have an AO, but I think once the signal gets through the LPG (or Borg in their videos), the triangles and other sharp edges are rounded off giving a smoother that expected FM sound. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

Good point. I run most of my signals through an LPG as well.
goiks
i just received a hertz donut today. sine waves are beautiful. i wish i could afford two, if you can, go for it!

http://soundcloud.com/goiks/stupidhertzdonut
Yohda
Quote:
The AFG is one I sold then bought again. I think the raw waveforms are a bit thin and cold and just liked that animated pulse.

That and how it react to FM (harsh for me, I much prefer VCO like the AO or the Model 15)

But this is only a matter of taste. The animation of the AFG is unique. And it's the most complete VCO in Eurorack.

Quote:
I have always wondered why people say matched pairs of oscillators are best. Could someone elaborate?

What would be the advantage, say, of having a pair of AOs rather than one AO and another osc to compliment it?

For me it's cool to have 2 similar VCO detuned or crossmodulated etc... (or 2 similar sound source in general), but it's not really "better" than 2 differents VCO.

Depend on the patch or aplication. More choice always is better for me!
blungo2
goiks wrote:
i just received a hertz donut today. sine waves are beautiful. i wish i could afford two, if you can, go for it!

http://soundcloud.com/goiks/stupidhertzdonut

Good sounds! Thanks for putting that up.
porfiry
blungo2 wrote:
dkcg wrote:
blungo2 wrote:

Good point. I run most of my signals through an LPG as well.

This is very true. The AOs are simply awesome for FM'd percussives with an LPG like the Borg closing around them...all part of the master plan. smile

Thanks to those luscious vactrols, the Borgs can be dialed very slappy and LPG-like even in resonant LPF mode. I shot a little (hahah! upside down...don't ask) video demonstrating proper punishment of two AOs last night with this thread in mind:

Veqtor
piston honda?
wetterberg
Two uLFOs SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2