MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Casio RZ-1 Drumbox/Sampler Circuit bend
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Casio RZ-1 Drumbox/Sampler Circuit bend
weasilboy
Hi, First time on this forum. Saw a bunch of really cool gadgets guys have made. I'm a producer based in RSA. I'm an avid vintage collector, and I really enjoy modding my kit when I get the time.

Thought I'd just share my bent RZ-1. I had the idea to build a universal 'BendBox' system that can be switched over to other samplers and synths after bending them. This is to save on having to rewire everything all of the time, it also allows infinite possibilities for new sounds, as the circuits are not hard wired. This way, when you bend something, you only need to route the wires to a universal connector on the side of the synth. The BendBox has 64 patch points, 4 pots with various resistances, trigger switches and toggle switches. Future models of the BendBox will have built in LFO circuits and effects to be able to inject these signals and voltages back into the circuits.

futuresoundsystems
Nice one! I've done a similar patchbay using phono sockets for my TR505. It interfaces with the bent instrument via two printer sockets. I'm planning on doing the same to my Yamaha DJX-IIB, there's a single IC in there which has a bend on pretty much every pin. hihi
weasilboy
Yep, I used printer sockets as well. They were cheap and easy to find.
That DJX-IIB looks like it will be a good one to bend. Im keen to hear how that one turns out. Ive an old BOSS SP202 that I was trying to bend a while back, but moved onto other projects. hyper
spbaker
what a cool unit!

sounds please!!

Quote:
I'm planning on doing the same to my Yamaha DJX-IIB

you're kidding! what do they sound like and how stable are the bends?
felix
Awesome! I too would love to hear some sound samples.

If you disconnect the BendBox, does the unit go back to normal, stock sounds?
weasilboy
I'll post some sounds when I get a gap in the studio.

Quote:
If you disconnect the BendBox, does the unit go back to normal, stock sounds?

Yup, the unit acts as normal then. I just loved the look of the drumbox when I bought her, and I couldn't bring myself to trash it like other boxes I've done. This way, there' just a small printer style port on the side.

Regarding this drumbox, the actual sounds on it are crap to say the least. Fun for the odd Indietronica mashup perhaps, but nothing the quality of say, a 909. What really shines on this drumbox is the fact that it can record samples @ 20kHz sample rate, either four samples of 0.2 seconds each, or one sample of 0.8 seconds. These can then be sequenced and crunched up.

futuresoundsystems
spbaker wrote:
Quote:
I'm planning on doing the same to my Yamaha DJX-IIB

you're kidding! what do they sound like and how stable are the bends?

They totally crash the unit out, but in doing so freeze sounds and often totally glitch them out. You can get some really nice dark droney loops out of it. I'll have to record something with it (perhaps once I've got a few more bends wired up).
Muff Wiggler
that's bloody awesome! thanks for joining the forum and posting this, really nice

i've seen similar bendbox ideas, but never quite as nicely executed as yours. Really wonderful idea and much more fun and flexible - also don't take this the wrong way but it's nice to see some high technical skill starting to enter the world of bending as well.... seen enough stuff with SPST switches sticking all over it

stuff like this is a completely different league....very well done & having no such skills of my own very awe inspiring 8)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1