MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Input modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Input modules?
VanEck
I currently have an A-119, which I have been using as my only means of inputting external audio into my modular. It works well as an envelope follower, but I am not very pleased with its sound quality for things like vocals and such.

Anyone have any other recommendations on how to get audio into my modular? I am looking to get a TipTop ZDSP soon and really want to be able to route many external audio sources through it and keep the noise levels in check and all that... the A-119 can get noisy and "squashes" inputs like vocals too much.

Thanks help
gmcerveny
I had the same issue with my a119. I picked up a second one off the forum with an upgraded chip. Makes a difference, but ultimately I'm now using standalone boxen.

seriously, i just don't get it
futureworlder
Get a nice small decent-sounding pre-amp, like an RNP and run it into the red (just before clipping to attenuate) into a A-181, which is basically just a mult with a 1/4" input.
Audio Resistance
I use the Cwejman Ai-2 for $299.00. That is about as high end as you can get in Euro.

wetterberg
I like the a-138d for this kind of stuff. Lovely unit, doubles as a pedal-inserter-doohicky.
dkcg
Cwejman AP-1 can't be beat for getting audio of any kind into the modular, but it can definately be beat on price. Not cheap, but it's great for everything. The AI-2 is great for using the modular with rack equipment with balanced lines, I use it to get audio from the modular into my rack effects.
VanEck
Thanks for the suggestions folks. w00t
VanEck
Some of the suggestions here have me thinking... would it be a bad idea to run the audio of my JoeMeek SixQ preamp/compressor directly into a module if I kept the output gain at zero?

Will I hurt my module? Would the levels be correct?

Thanks.
wetterberg
uhm, I think you'd need more gain than zero... I doubt you'll ever get more gain than modular levels - it's the other way it's a problem, you might not be able to get enough. either way I don't think you'll break anything wink
headcleaner
upgrade the 119 with the TL074 chip - for less than a quid its worth doing - also for the few pence extra makes you wonder why doepfer didnt do it?
Karl Jeffers
I have the A-199, A-138d and RS35, but my mixing desk has enough auxilary gain to directly insert into the modudules.

Will try the chip upgrade for the A-119.
theabsent
headcleaner wrote:
upgrade the 119 with the TL074 chip - for less than a quid its worth doing - also for the few pence extra makes you wonder why doepfer didnt do it?

I did the upgrade too. It's definitely worth doing if you have A-119. Didn't Dieter say that TL064 draws less current and that's why they use it?

As an input module I use A-138d more often than A-119. Also using MXR Micro Amp and ART Tube MP.
Aesoteric
headcleaner wrote:

Where'd you get the TL074 chip? Maplin have got the TL07x line on their site, but no TL074's. Rapid have got two options and I'm not sure what the difference is between them:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Integrated-Circuits/O perational-Amplifiers/FET-op-amps/67381

TL074 BI-FET QUAD OP AMPLIFIER (DIL) RC
TL074CD QUAD FET AMPLIFIER (RC)

Can anyone shed any light on which to go for?
wetterberg
hey,
get the DIL-package, the TL074CD is SOIC (smd-style) and won't fit.
Aesoteric
wetterberg wrote:
hey,
get the DIL-package, the TL074CD is SOIC (smd-style) and won't fit.

Wicked, thanks dude thumbs up
charlie
is the stilton adapter a good alternative for input ? help
mateo
charlie wrote:
is the stilton adapter a good alternative for input ? help

I can't see why it wouldn't, I've been thinking about getting one for this reason (amongst others)
Luka
what other things would you really want in an input module that isnt in the cwejeman? im planning my diy module right now smile
mateo
The stilton adapter offers twice as much IO for the price, as well as the wet/dry mixing. It also seems to offer more gain, for connecting instruments directly.
wetterberg
Luka wrote:
what other things would you really want in an input module that isnt in the cwejeman? im planning my diy module right now smile
the Gain on the Cwejman adjusts the *output level*, doesn't it?

Ideally you'll have a way to adjust the gain on the input in a module like that, independent of any output attenuation you might want.

Also, really simple functionality such as the envelope follower and comparator on the a-119 are a great thing.
Illiac
some kind of headphone amp would work if you split the stereo signal out to 1/8". You could then even use something like the maths as a stereo envelope follower!
Cat-A-Tonic
wetterberg wrote:
Luka wrote:
what other things would you really want in an input module that isnt in the cwejeman? I'm planning my diy module right now smile
the Gain on the Cwejman adjusts the *output level*, doesn't it?

Ideally you'll have a way to adjust the gain on the input in a module like that, independent of any output attenuation you might want.

Also, really simple functionality such as the envelope follower and comparator on the a-119 are a great thing.

I think Luka was talking about the Cwejman AP-1 audio processor, rather than the AI-2 audio interface.

The AP-1 has alot going for it.
Aside from the preamp quality, it also provides power for mics, a compressor, HP/LP filter,
and VC attack & release control of the envelope follower with an inverted output to boot.

I think the only things that it is missing that other audio input modules include is a comparator for gate/trigger extraction.
...and frequency to voltage conversion.
gmcerveny
gmcerveny wrote:
I had the same issue with my a119. I picked up a second one off the forum with an upgraded chip. Makes a difference, but ultimately I'm now using standalone boxen.

seriously, i just don't get it

I need to retract my statement. I just gave mine another go this time with my machinedrum as the source, and it freaking rocks.

I think my issue before was that I was trying to push my unamplified rhodes which already has noise or my iphone, which isn't the best source.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1