MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander released
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander released
os

ESX-8MD, front by expertsleepers, on Flickr

ESX-8MD by expertsleepers, on Flickr

Quote:
The ESX-8MD is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight MIDI/DINsync outputs from one expansion header.
The ES-4/5 Controller software (part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way) also allows the ESX-8MD outputs to be used for MIDI output* (note - not just MIDI clock output, but as an actual MIDI port, capable of sending any MIDI messages). Since these outputs are driven from an audio connection, they have sample-accurate timing, which no USB MIDI interface can claim.

The Silent Way Sync plug-in would typically be used to send DINsync to the ESX-8MD, though any software capable of addressing the ES-4/5's expansion headers, via Silent Way or the Max/MSP external, can send clock pulses to it.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html

bil_g
SlayerBadger! So, we're looking at around $150 US?

I wonder if this might help get my Nord3 working. I think you said it's more, um, electrically accurate to the midi spec, or something.

Don't need but still want!
os
Quote:
So, we're looking at around $150 US?

Around that price, yes.

I wouldn't like to promise this will suddenly make something work that doesn't work with the adaptor cables. But it'll certainly make it look a lot tidier smile
bil_g
Tidier, indeed. 8_)
alcolmx
os
Hey there. I've got a terribly noobish question for y'all. I've been struggling with syncing all of my external gear (SCI SixTrak, Volca Bass/Beats, Mini/MicroBrutes, euro, MicroKorg) with Reaper through a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and MOTU MIDI Xpress XT. I've finally realized (through forum hunting) that it's a bug within Reaper, and using a different DAW is the easiest solution to my conundrum. However, I'm a Reaper fan and don't relish the idea of jumping to another DAW. From what I can gather, the ES-3 is the easiest way to get my eurorack in sync with Reaper, but what about all the MIDI devices? The ESX-8MD looks like a candidate, but that's an expander (and not for the ES-3). Can you recommend a configuration of ES products that will get all of my hardware in sync with Reaper? Thanks in advance!!!!

AL
alcolmx
Intended to send this ^^^ as a PM, but I guess it can't hurt if someone can chime in. TIA!
os
ES-3, ES-5 & ESX-8MD would give you a ton of sync options.
alcolmx
No way to use the ES-3 and the ESX-8MD without the ES-5 in between?
os
Correct.

You can also use the 8MD with an ES-40.
os
Some new ESX-8MD videos:

phutureboy
os wrote:

Something I don't think is explained in the video is whether it is possible to apply this "polyphonic MIDI distribution" to polyphonic synths also.
What I mean is for example can I get an 8 voice DSI Tetra with this module ? Meaning each new note played would be one among the 2 x 4 voices of the 2 Tetras connected therefore giving me the possibility to play an 8-note chord ?

Call it poly-polyphony ? hyper

(makes any sense ?)
os
It does make sense, but that's not supported currently.
phutureboy
OK, and do you think you could implement that at some point ? I mean, think of all the possible multiplied polyphonies !
os
I'll put it on the list for consideration.
chrisso
So (to be clear) can I buy this module, connect it to my ES4 and use it to control poly synths like Microwave and Roland D50?
os
Yes.
chrisso
thumbs up
Best news I've had in two years.
chrisso
When will this be available, or where can I buy it?
I've been looking around the web but no mention so far.
Thanks.
os
You can buy it direct from me.

Or here
http://www.detroitmodular.com/expert-sleepers-esx-8md-midi-din-sync-ex pander.html

or if you have a preferred modular store, just ask them to hurry up and order some from me!
chrisso
os wrote:
You can buy it direct from me.

OK, I might do that.
JMack_1
Hi everyone this is my first post!

I now have the es-40>Esx-8md combo.

Thanks Os for giving us back the groove!https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_applaud.gi f
os
Guinness ftw!

Did you get it set up OK?
Littlethief
Hi Os (and everyone else),

I'm having trouble setting up my ES3 / ES5 / ESX-8MD Combo.

Here's what I want to do...

I want to use the above combo to sync an 808, 606 and MFB Tanzbar (via Midi for this last one rather than the CV inputs it has and trigger patterns from Ableton). Once that's sorted I want to use the 8MD to trigger various midi synths too.

ADAT signal is getting to the ES3 OK and 8MD does its light sequence when I turn it on

I can't see a step-by-step on the site so apologies if I'm asking a silly question.

Can you/anyone help?

Thanks
LT
Littlethief
Ignore my last post, nailed it (the drum machines anyway so far). 808, 606 and Tanzbar in perfect sync. Just gotta think of reason for having that now :-)

If anyway else is stuck with the same sort of set up I can try and help, although sorting it was fair bit of trial and error.
os
Glad you sorted it - sorry for not getting around to replying in time to help.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3