MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Opinions on Grendel Drone Commander
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Opinions on Grendel Drone Commander
jc
Anyone own and/or have an opinion of the Rare Waves Grendel Drone Commander? How do they like it? Does it provide a lot of sounds to work with? etc...
mrbloor
dont have one but could listen to this all day

cb_radio
Seems pretty interesting and relatively affordable.
jc
mrbloor wrote:
dont have one but could listen to this all day

I agree! thumbs up
darenager
I have one, brilliant machine, it has a very distinctive sound and responds well to a range of fx, as I have said before it is the TB-303 of drone machines in that it is brilliant at what it does and is rather limited, but if you like the sound then you won't really ever get bored of it, it has bags of character and I can lose a few hours easily just playing with it. I also like just hooking it up to a portable speaker and have it droning away whilst I work, very relaxing!

Here is an album I did which features the Grendel on every track.
http://darenager.bandcamp.com/album/celestial-objects

I think it is one of those machines that I'd never sell.

Edit - Forgot to mention the lovely filter, which is based on an adaption of a twin t percussion synth, it has a very alluring quality to it, you can turn off the Oscillators and use it for percussion too, which can be pretty fun.
nomenclature
love mine but I love it even more when it's multiple DCs layered. this is problematic for me because it's not exactly cheap. I want at least two more...
Pase
It's really an interesting device, sadly I loose the opportunity to buy an used one from a wiggler here. Now I regret... seriously, i just don't get it
TelePet
I love mine, though I'll echo what a few others mentioned, that it does a few things really well, but isn't terribly flexible. That said, it's such a brilliant design, so great sounding, and a great way to support someone who's really doing good work.
jc
Thanks to everyone for the info. I went ahead and picked one up this morning. applause

@darenager Nice sounding album! thumbs up
Gunung9
I'm really intrigued by these things too. Gotta love the aesthetics, and it seems like it's got a great tone too. I love the youtube video with four of them being played at once. Just wish I had the funds for that, haha!
Gunung9
I'm really intrigued by these things too. Gotta love the aesthetics, and it seems like it's got a great tone too. I love the youtube video with four of them being played at once. Just wish I had the funds for that, haha!
thevegasnerve
jc wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info. I went ahead and picked one up this morning. applause

@darenager Nice sounding album! thumbs up

Now the question is what color you have chosen! I got the standard red, but sortof wished I would have bought the all black one (faceplate/knobs).
Gunung9
Just watched the video you posted on the first page. Holy smokes, I could listen to that all day too. Sounds soooooo good. Part of that is the space echo of course, but the DC tone is fantastic.

Serious gear envy happening now. Thanks a lot, hahah!
Gunung9
Would be curious to hear more track examples - do any other folks have soundcloud/bandcamp stuff using the Grendel DC to check out?
StoneLaw
a couple of these, a space echo, and a spring verb you'd be ready for tour.
weinglas
Gunung9 wrote:
Would be curious to hear more track examples - do any other folks have soundcloud/bandcamp stuff using the Grendel DC to check out?

Had one, sold it, couldn't live without it, got another one. Awesome piece of gear nanners

Drone Commander, Particle Delay and D1000

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_Bb6dXpzk

Drone Commander, Buchla 200e mit Zerosum Inertia Tube Modules and EHX Ravish Sitar

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRqHkJmgy0
burnn_out!
I love mine even though it doesn't get used as much as it should. Probably due to only having the clock out. If it synced/slaved it would most likely be my favorite instrument. I guess it wouldn't be much of a commander then more of soldier. Grendel drone soldier.. hmmm.....
julien
Somebody already has done some mods for a slower LFO?
Eric Archer told me that i can increase C10 (capacitor) but didn't try yet! I'm afraid about the result seriously, i just don't get it
julien
Click on the link to see the Grendel Drone Commander board and C10 location: Picture file
StoneLaw
julien wrote:
Somebody already has done some mods for a slower LFO?
Eric Archer told me that i can increase C10 (capacitor) but didn't try yet! I'm afraid about the result seriously, i just don't get it

You could make a switch to flip between the two caps so you don't lose anything.
goiks
great videos weinglas!

i don't have mine any more (priorities shift), but it was great fun when i did. a soldier mode probably would have had me keeping it.

i highly recommend using it with a depleted battery for a different range of sounds. always thought about making a power starve mod to mine.
julien
StoneLaw wrote:

You could make a switch to flip between the two caps so you don't lose anything.

How can i do that? can you explain? Or better, post a schematic?
sencha
I love my Drone Commander love
I've got other drone/noiseboxes but the Grendel is by far my favorite. It's really a magical instrument with an organic sound texture almost unreal.
Here is a video where I mostly used the Grendel accompanied by a Eurorack modular.

darenager
julien wrote:
StoneLaw wrote:

How can i do that? can you explain? Or better, post a schematic?

Personally I would not bother with a switch, I swapped out the 18uf for a 47uf and it has a pretty good range, goes almost as fast as stock at fastest setting, and at slowest you get much longer times, might even be worth trying a 100uf if you want it really slow, but I think 47uf is about perfect for my needs.
julien
Thanks darenager,

I will try to replace C10 with a 47uf thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4