MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Sub 37
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Moog Sub 37
booger
So, my will power was no match for 36-month financing and I pre-ordered the Sub 37.

Can anyone tell me what the KB/Gate In is for? I thought it was some type of trigger input to sync the arp/seq to external gates and triggers (Roland x0x boxes). However, the Moog rep said that is possibly in the works for future revs. What does that input do, then?

Any other hype or useful info about this promising synth is also appreciated.
controlvoltage
For now the KB Gate input does the same thing it does on all Moog synths: turns on the gate/fires the envelopes when the voltage at the Gate input goes from low to high. Turns off the gate when the voltage goes low. Like pressing a key, but without affecting pitch.

There is a tentative plan to allow one of the CV inputs to be an analog clock source for the sequencer/arp, but no promises yet.
burnsjed
Thanks Amos, will there be anymore demo's coming soon.
I too couldn't resist that sweet taste of 36 months, and am now frantically checking for more demos!!
booger
Does the Sub 37 (or Phatty series in general) share the same components as the Voyager series? Are there any differences between the filter, oscillator, envelopes, etc. (besides the number available)?
chvad
I was told that the phatty shares some design with the voyager with envelopes and vca's. Not sure I'm remembering correctly. I was also told the sub37 didn't share the voyager attributes. When preordering the sub37 I was intending on selling my LP but I've been told they will sound different enough to justify keeping both. Now um just waiting to see how in gonna fit another synth in my small space!
Carey M
controlvoltage wrote:

There is a tentative plan to allow one of the CV inputs to be an analog clock source for the sequencer/arp, but no promises yet.

we're not worthy
wiresandstraps
Some component differences between the sub37 and voyager :

digital envelopes.
different oscillators.
different filter (slightly diff single filter vs 2 moog minimoog filters on the voyager)

Maybe Amos can chime in with a more concise answer...
Bath House
All I want to know is does it actually track 1v/oct?
booger
Bath House wrote:

Isn't that the Moog standard?

Pretty excited for May. The mod routings and envelopes seem to give it a semi-modular feel. (With my luck, I'll buy this one and next year's model will sport a patch bay.)
Bath House
booger wrote:
Bath House wrote:

Isn't that the Moog standard?

Nope, even though it should be and anyone would expect it to be. I already got Dead Banana by that once with them. Would love to hear the 37 tracks properly out of the box.
booger
I notice that the ship date for the Sub 37 got pushed back to June. Not surprised but still disappointed... neutral
wiresandstraps
Noooo! Who did you order from?

After waiting 5 months for the Analog Keys... rrr. I really wanted this thing to come on time.

My beautiful girlfriend ordered mine as a gift the day it hit the Sweetwater site.

My sales associate told me it was shipping next week, but that was a week ago.

Can't wait to use it through the effects on the Elektron.

Lotsa Love
alt-mode
There were none to be played at the Moog factory during Moogfest. Amos mentioned that there were only ~4 prototypes. I think I heard someone saying it was going to be at least 4 weeks until it was ready to ship. My guess is that June might be right or even a bit ambitious, given that there are only prototypes around now. Lots of work to ramp that up.

Oh, and all Moog products are hand assembled in Asheville The Voyager line can crank out about 6-8 per day so expect some time to fill all the orders.

I'm very interested to see the Sub-37 too but I think it will be worth the wait.

Eric
Poptones
The Sweetwater site now says: "Moog expects the new Sub 37 Tribute Edition analog synthesizer to begin shipping in limited quantities by early July."
booger
I wish manufacturers were more realistic in setting dates. I still would have bought the Sub 37 even if Moog had announced its release in July. I remember this same thing happened last year with the Volca series. Maybe they'd be better off announcing some far-out date in August and then surprise everyone with an early shipment in July.

My apologies for the rant... Still looking forward to the product, though.
kvitekp
Bath House wrote:

+1
101010oxo
I wonder if they (find and) fix the mistake on the front panel. I think they have the little graphic for cutoff and resonance the wrong way around...

101010oxo
I am really torn between the Sub 37 and the MFB Dominion 1 at the moment... seriously, i just don't get it

Either way this is going to be a great synth-year! It's peanut butter jelly time!
numan7
101010oxo wrote:
I wonder if they (find and) fix the mistake on the front panel. I think they have the little graphic for cutoff and resonance the wrong way around...

thumbs up In the other Sub 37 thread (www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102169), back in April:

controlvoltage wrote:
those (in the actual photos) were quick-turn overlay graphics printed the week before NAMM... the production graphics are correct.

cheers
101010oxo
numan7 wrote:

thumbs up In the other Sub 37 thread (www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102169), back in April:

controlvoltage wrote:
those (in the actual photos) were quick-turn overlay graphics printed the week before NAMM... the production graphics are correct.

Thanks for the information. That is good to know (even though it is a very minor detail). I've preordered one a couple of weeks back and am looking forward to it!
TimeRaveler
It looks like the perfect synth on paper/pictures, but I'm waiting for some more demos. Hopefully there are still some tribute editions left by that time!

I'm torn between this and the Korg Arp Odyssey, I prefer the sound of an Odyssey to most Moogs, but this thing sure does look sweet.
JAD
Can't wait for mine to arrive, but who knows when that will be. I finally pre-ordered last month, but the major sites are listing ship dates anywhere from June to November. seriously, i just don't get it
controlvoltage
I thought folks might be interested in some details about the Sub37 sequencer, while we're waiting the last little while for these things to ship.

You can store a step sequence with every preset (so that's 256 sequences total).

Each sequence has up to 64 steps.

Each step can have:

One or two pitches (can program two pitches per step in Duo Mode)
velocity
rest
tie
programmable mod value

any of the per-step sequence parameters (pitches, velocity, per-step mod) can be fed as sources into either of the two mod busses.

It's pretty easy to program on the fly... in Duo Mode you program the second pitch per step by simply playing legato (playing a second note while still holding the first note records the second note as "pitch 2" for that steo). If you are not in Duo Mode, then playing legato while step-recording automatically ties the steps together (303 slides ahoy).

It's pretty freaking fun. I think some more demos are in the works... maybe even some by actual musicians and not just knob nerds like me smile
aen
Shit yeah! I preordered mine a while back. Couldn't possibly resist. The sub phatty became my weapon of choice very shortly after I picked it up, and the improvements are just what the doctor ordered.
Handmedown
I ordered it. Hope its here soon. Looking at getting the Elektron Analog Four (A4) as well. I think its quite the different animal. Couldn't decide which to get so getting both!!! I have GAS. :-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6