MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Uses Of An Easel (audio)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Uses Of An Easel (audio)
vgermuse
The Music Easel seems to be able to go a lot of different places and keeps me ever curious! Here are 7 short contrasting styles of music that I’ve explored with the BEMI Music Easel. Enjoy! w00t

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/140884171" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Neovintage
Wonderful. we're not worthy
The first two are my favorite.
Do you have videos of them so we can see how you perform them?
construct09
These sound so good, love the last one, very 'Carpenterish'
weinglas
Wonderful work Todd we're not worthy
Votek_Mendo
Very Very nice selection indeed.

Can you explain a bit more the process you did for these recordings?

Thanks
vgermuse
Votek_Mendo wrote:
Very Very nice selection indeed.

Can you explain a bit more the process you did for these recordings?

Thanks

Hope this helps! And thanks everyone for taking the time and for the kind comments -- having way too much fun now! w00t

djangosfire
FANTASTIC Journey!! we're not worthy
kitchentone
Very cool multi patch idea and music
Thanks for sharing
thumbs up applause
introvert
Awesome work! Super inspirational.
Jimmersound
Wow - great stuff!

3 & 4 really float my boat Dead Banana
klontart
Good work Todd! Lots of grounds covered. BEMI will sure like this one for the site I guess.
slipperysoles
Excellent noises !!
boops
For me ,3 And 4 too...thanks for sharing your music...
KoryB
nanners nanners nanners
Steelshank
Glad someone resurrected this thread, I had never seen it! Very nice work Todd! A cool display showing the versatility of the Easel. nanners
vgermuse
Thanks guys!! w00t w00t
ryangaston
whoa, i must've missed this one back in the day! todd, i remember i must have watched your first set of easel videos dozens of times, i was so excited.

absolutely love this—i'm digging #4 especially (you probably could have guessed), and #7 has an excellent weirdness about it.
mousegarden
No 4 is just fabulous, inspired me to fire up my Easel.
ugokcen
These are great, I’m glad someone dug it up. My favorite is the last one, that can’t be just the Easel right? Or is it multitracked?

I only recently discovered Todd Barton’s videos and they have been extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing the knowledge we're not worthy

I don’t have an Easel but I’ve put together a eurorack skiff to explore these “west-coast” sounds. I grew up with roland/yamaha/korg keyboard synthesizers so I’m still trying to familiarize myself with the musical vocabulary of the Buchla.

A question for Todd (but feel free to chime in anyone): when you perform live with the Easel how do you keep the interest given that it is a single voice monophonic instrument? Do you complement it with other instruments or backing tracks? I’ve been thinking about performing live with a small modular setup but I fear that a typical audience at a bar or a cafe expects a full band, or at the very least a singer, and will tune out after five minutes of my musings.
vgermuse
ugokcen wrote:

A question for Todd (but feel free to chime in anyone): when you perform live with the Easel how do you keep the interest given that it is a single voice monophonic instrument? Do you complement it with other instruments or backing tracks? I’ve been thinking about performing live with a small modular setup but I fear that a typical audience at a bar or a cafe expects a full band, or at the very least a singer, and will tune out after five minutes of my musings.

Thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to listen:-)
Disclaimer: I don’t perform in you typical bar or cafe, rather in
museums, art galleries or synth store venues.

To keep interest I use a looper and reverb and do free improvisation.
What I call “following the sound”. Here is the quickest and most basic
way I work:

There is a link in the description in the above YouTube to more looping examples.
And here are some of my diverse live performances
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgcsaajaNk9cvqHuRrgHqxFAfsElp89 vI

Thank you for the question and happy sonic explorations!
Cheers! Todd
ugokcen
Thank you for the extra information Todd. Aha, a looper! Makes a lot of sense.

I looked at some of your recent performances but couldn't really see the equipment. Are you still using the Boss one in the above video or have you upgraded to something more advanced? There are so many loopers around these days...
vgermuse
Here's a close up of my basic setup. Sometimes I bring along a eurorack lunchbox with intellijel Planar2 for panning/spatial location and CV recording, and either a Morphagene or Benjolin.
I love the TC Electronic Ditto x4 Looper and T2 Reverb -- they perfectly suit my needs and voice. Hope this helps. w00t

ugokcen wrote:
Thank you for the extra information Todd. Aha, a looper! Makes a lot of sense.

I looked at some of your recent performances but couldn't really see the equipment. Are you still using the Boss one in the above video or have you upgraded to something more advanced? There are so many loopers around these days...
pbanken
Hey y'all!

The combination of an Easel and a looper (plus one or two additional pedal boxes) drew me into the Buchla universe, but up until a few weeks ago, I struggled heavily with the Dittox4 when trying to create "clean", evenly timed loops (e.g. when laying the foundation for a Frippertronics sketch: 4 bars at, say, 90 bpm).

It was always a mess hitting the Ditto push buttons (which were designed for feet, not hands, in my opinion), especially when creating faster percussive patterns in uneven time signatures.

The Midi connection didn't help at first, since the Ditto got clocked to the ratatatatata-stream of the Midi clock signal (hope this makes sense, I am NO expert when it comes to Midi).

But, things changed when I READ THE MANUAL, and realized you can actually create Midi Dummy tracks / clips in, e.g., Ableton, and fire off "record"/"stop record" commands to the Ditto via Midi Commands (channel 3).

Et voilá: Perfectly timed loops, in time with the overall tempo within Ableton (or your daw of choice), additionally chance-based recording / looping shenanigans are possible as well, opening up the possibilties massively. Messing around the follow commands in Ableton's Clip section, that's something I have to explore further.

Anyway, for some this might be an old hat, but I thought "why not share this?". Maybe, but I have no idea if this is possible, you could even use a module like the 226h, to trigger the recording from within the Buchla?

All the best
Patrick
ugokcen
I’ve been looking at variety of loopers this past week (there’s a lot out there!) and the TC ditto X4 does seem to hit the sweet spot between features and ease of use. And if Todd uses it then it should be good enough for me hihi

Somewhat of a tangent, but I find it ironic that guitarists have fully embraced loopers without having any idea of how tape loops were foundational in electronic music history. Most of the devices are designed and marketed to be practice tools rather than compositional tools. Weird world we live in...

Anyways, it turns out that a guitarist friend of mine had a Boss looper that he wasn’t using very much these days, so I borrowed it over the weekend to see what I could do with it. I immediately run into the problem that Patrick mentions above: it is impossible to get “perfect” loops with rhythmic material. Is there a way to use analog clock to trigger loops or MIDI and a laptop is the only solution?

Another thing I realized is that many people get around this problem by looping around silent sections. That pushes you into different musical territory however - might be interesting...

One trick that worked for me was to loop into a 100% wet reverb which goes into the effects return on my mixer. The reverb mushes everything together and hides the loop points so you get a kind of “frozen” reverb bed that you can play over.

Any other looping ideas with the Easel are appreciated, thanks so much for the inspiration! nanners
mousegarden
ugokcen wrote:
I’ve been looking at variety of loopers this past week (there’s a lot out there!) and the TC ditto X4 does seem to hit the sweet spot between features and ease of use. And if Todd uses it then it should be good enough for me hihi

Somewhat of a tangent, but I find it ironic that guitarists have fully embraced loopers without having any idea of how tape loops were foundational in electronic music history. Most of the devices are designed and marketed to be practice tools rather than compositional tools. Weird world we live in...

Anyways, it turns out that a guitarist friend of mine had a Boss looper that he wasn’t using very much these days, so I borrowed it over the weekend to see what I could do with it. I immediately run into the problem that Patrick mentions above: it is impossible to get “perfect” loops with rhythmic material. Is there a way to use analog clock to trigger loops or MIDI and a laptop is the only solution?

Another thing I realized is that many people get around this problem by looping around silent sections. That pushes you into different musical territory however - might be interesting...

One trick that worked for me was to loop into a 100% wet reverb which goes into the effects return on my mixer. The reverb mushes everything together and hides the loop points so you get a kind of “frozen” reverb bed that you can play over.

Any other looping ideas with the Easel are appreciated, thanks so much for the inspiration! nanners

I've just bought a Boss RC505 to use with my Easel, it's a desktop unit, has some incredible features, and it's great having hands on control over loop levels, the effects are a welcome bonus.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2