MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Guitar sale from hell...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Guitar sale from hell...
TrashWaveform
So I have been using Craigslist to sell my guitars lately. Personally I love the site and get a lot of great deals from it and can usually find a quick buyer when it comes to guitar gear.

Some guy contacted me about one of my guitars and I offered to drive out 1 hour so he can check it out. After suggesting I come to him to sell him a perfectly good $500 guitar for $300 including a hard case he has the nerve to try and talk me down on the price. After explaining to him no, the price is firm, we agreed on a time to meet.

I take the time to restring the guitar with new Nickle XLs and polish it with Formula 65. I also took an extra hour fine tuning the Floyd Rose just perfectly. It was just like the guitar when I first got it new and had it set up.

I take it to him and he plugs it into his amp and starts playing. He just starts explaining he is unsure if it is set up right and something might be wrong. I explain to him nothing is wrong and I set it up before hand and test drove it once more with no problems. He kept complaining and adjusting the Floyd Rose even though he mentioned he never adjusted one before. I really wanted to shout at him the problem is his inability to play and his shitty amp. But I kept my mouth shut and tried to readjust the FR every time he messed with it. I am really unsure if he was trying to downplay the guitar in an attempt to get it for cheaper or if he was naive about the problem was actually him.

After an hour of sitting there in his apartment I mention I am running late to a date and need to know if he is going to buy it or not. That is when he starts to low ball me again. I finally told him if he pays me the money I will let him hold onto the guitar all night and he can contact me the next day if he wishes for a refund. After a little convincing I got the fuck out of there with my money.

This afternoon I got a call from him. He didn't want to refund the guitar but he said his friend told him the Floyd Rose is defective and he wanted to know if he could get $50-$75 of his money back. To which I replied, "Merry Christmas!" and hung up.

I bend over backwards for a lot of people I sell to just so everyone is happy. But I learned some people really are not appreciative of that and just try to use you as a door mat.
antennafarm
some people are d-bags, but usually they give off warning signs.

often i find that people kind of get what they deserve by LETTING people do their douchery.

no idea if that's the case here, of course! sucks that things happen like that.

did i read that correctly in that you said "if you're not satisfied i'll refund your money" but basically said "fuck you?"
TrashWaveform
antennafarm wrote:
did i read that correctly in that you said "if you're not satisfied i'll refund your money" but basically said "fuck you?"
No. I offered to refund him. He kept suggesting no refund but I give him some money back because he claimed something was defective and it was not. I told him if it was defective I will take it back full refund but instead he just wanted to fuck me over on the price of a guitar that he already had a steal on. Not to mention I repeatedly told him the price was firm.
TrashWaveform
Two of the twenties were counterfeits. What a douche. I am no longer selling gear through Craigslist.
SynthBaron
I only buy from there, rarely. I was never successful at selling anything there. Too many lowballers and flakes.
TrashWaveform
SynthBaron wrote:
I only buy from there, rarely. I was never successful at selling anything there. Too many lowballers and flakes.
I find a lot of stuff that goes for $500-$600 on eBay going for $200-$300. Got a few good deals on a lot of production and synth gear. One time some guy was parting out his studio for basically nothing. He handed me a bunch of compressor and eq racks for free just because he figured I would get more use out of them. The hard part is just responding in time and getting a good deal before someone else does.

Selling. Its a royal pain in the ass. I had a few easy sales but there are a lot of flakes and low ballers who think you should just drop it off at their doorstep for free. Selling online and shipping guitars is just as much a hassle so I tried to avoid that by doing sales locally.
Moog$FooL$
i'm definitely not finding gear on cl. like i use to.

seems prices are often higher than they ought to be??

as for selling on cl., i just don't bother with the hassle of it anymore. i sell to friends & acquintances..... or i sell it through a consignment shop. consigning i lose a little but gain a lot through avoiding the hassle.
SynthBaron
TrashWaveform wrote:
Selling online and shipping guitars is just as much a hassle so I tried to avoid that by doing sales locally.

I hate the picture taking and listing part, but shipping isn't so bad. Depends if you have the packaging supplies or not. I sold my ES-335 clone and had it bubble wrapped and shipped in 15 minutes. Big sheets of cardboard to make your own boxes really helps.
dkcg
TrashWaveform wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
I find a lot of stuff that goes for $500-$600 on eBay going for $200-$300. Got a few good deals on a lot of production and synth gear. One time some guy was parting out his studio for basically nothing. He handed me a bunch of compressor and eq racks for free just because he figured I would get more use out of them. The hard part is just responding in time and getting a good deal before someone else does.

Selling. Its a royal pain in the ass. I had a few easy sales but there are a lot of flakes and low ballers who think you should just drop it off at their doorstep for free. Selling online and shipping guitars is just as much a hassle so I tried to avoid that by doing sales locally.

I had one guy think that $50 for a GM-70 Roland guitar to midi (with the pickup), that was a little flakey on the high notes, was way too much. But I've also had luck on selling things like my Line6 Pods (bass & guitar rack units), crappy mixer, etc. Things that are a hassle because nobody wants them on ebay or here. CL is my go to for cheap stuff that everyone has that I just want to get rid of for space. Like an online garage sale.

I've had better luck buying off CL, got my Space Echo in excellent mechanical shape for $450, a little pricey for when that was, but he gave me $50 back when he could tell I was actually gonna use it and wasn't a collector/dealer. Also got my Dobro for a few hundred less than the going used rate a few years ago when some guy was desperate for money after a car accident he seemed to be responsible for. LA may be different than most cities as far as CL goes. A LOT of musicians needing to pay rent and bills here in LA's CL music instrument section, especially guitar equipment.
TrashWaveform
Well I figured out where I can buy food with the counterfeit 20s so I got those out of my possession. Browsing CL today I saw that he re-listed my guitar. Same model and same phone number. So I shot him a message under another email and he said everything is working perfectly and that he bought it recently at Guitar Center so its in great shape. But he mentioned the small scratch on the top of the head stock. The same scratch I told him about and show him. Also he is asking more for what I sold it to him originally. I sent him a message back just a second ago asking if he accepts Monopoly money.

I don't know why he is reselling it. But if he told me the next day he wasn't interested in it instead of trying to extort more money out of me I would of happily took the guitar back and eliminated his need to resale it.

I hope he goes through the bullshit I had to go with him. And I am so tempted to put him through that. twisted
hawkfuzz
I'm pretty upset with how inexpensive everything goes for on Craigslist. I tried selling my Fuzz Probe to someone and went to his house. Dude, didn't want to play it at first and was fine with the trade(I was getting a 4x12 of Greenbacks!) and then he decided the pedal was too wild and hard to "get the right settings".

He had an idea how he was going to apply it with his band...and then boom! Too crazy. MAN I NEEDED THAT CAB!
Waz
Yeah I just started using Craigslist for the first time this week. I needed to sell some stuff that didn't sell here. I keep getting emails with low ball offers and shitty trades. Some guy offered me half the price of something I put up for 150$! Then asked if I would take any trades. I told him that unless he had any analog gear (which is highly doubtful), I'm not interested.

If you have any pointers fell free to fill me in. I'm a CL n00b
hawkfuzz
I need some pointers too, some tried to offer me 100 dollars less because the guitar didn't have a whammy bar or a case.

Dammit, people!
Waz
Ok update. I got the scammiest email ever. I was excited someone was interested in the Djembe I am selling. This was their email after I replied to their inquiry;

Hello,

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry and sorry for the late reply,am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i won't be making any repairs on it,i would mine adding extra $30 to your asking price for keeping it for me. I am paying by Money Order. It will take few days for payment to get to you. As per pick-up, I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment has been received by you. Kindly reply with your details on where the Payment should be send to. I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.

Here is the information needed for the payment below.

(1) Full Names

(2) Mailing address, No P.O.Box Please

(3) Your direct Telephone Numbers(Home or Office and Cell)

Note:
As soon as you have your money in hand we can talk about the picking up of the item ok. I would like you to take the posting off craigslist today.

Thanks.

I replied;
Local pick-up only. I'd prefer cash only.
Do you live in the Detroit area? If not, than forget it...

*EDIT - 666th post!
Moog$FooL$
ah yes!!

the old money order scam....... these guys are still working it on cl. seriously, i just don't get it

apparently these "offers" come out of places like Africa.
TrashWaveform
I don't use CL anymore for buying and selling. Me and the girlfriend do troll the fuck out of the personals section though. Guys are retards when they are thinking with their dicks. No wonder why that site has so many scam bots.
Moog$FooL$
yeah...... the rants & rave section is retarded, but good for a laugh. lol
at least in Vancouver it is.
tuj
eBay isn't much better. As a buyer I've had a number of issues with guitars I've bought, including a brand new Danelectro that was wired entirely incorrectly.
slovo
I believe counterfeiting money is a federal crime. I would definitely mention that to him. It might not be anything you can really prove, but you can still put the fear of Justice into him if you drop that your uncle works in the bureau or somethin... w00t
Fnord
The secret service takes counterfeiting very seriously. It used to be considered an act of treason and punishable by death in the 'good old days'.
sascha.victoria
My experiences selling on CL have been hellish but nothing compared to yours. The Secret Service doesn't fuck around. I'm sure they'll be happy to scare the shit out of your dude.
3vcos
sascha.victoria wrote:
My experiences selling on CL have been hellish but nothing compared to yours. The Secret Service doesn't fuck around. I'm sure they'll be happy to scare the shit out of your dude.

hey wait a minute... didn't I buy a guitar from you off craiglist???
razz
jimmie
I think if you do the business in person, if you can do a fuckin awesome demonstration impressing hell out of buyer, like Edie Van Helen so he would never want to play in front of you, you can convince the guy and sell. Easy. Oh not easy hihi
Just me
I use CL all the time. I never put a phone number in the ad as I don't want calls at 2 am from some drunk douche who wants my "alea lug you gots for sale still?"
I put a price about 20 percent higher than I want for the item. Gives the pukes some room to haggle. I have it for 100, they offer 60, I counter 90, they counter75, I say 85 or go away. They buy it and I still get 5 more than I wanted and they are happy they got a 'deal'. If they counter my 85 with antoher low ball, I raise it back to 90!

I NEVER let them come to me to pick up. I meet at my favorite restaurant and if it's an expensive or small and easily stolen item. I take a friend to lunch with me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1