MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any tips for performing live techno?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Any tips for performing live techno?
PhineasFreak
flo wrote:
It's funny how it's always the same few people in these "live techno" threads lol

i would chip in but no-one else seems to work with a setup remotely like mine so i always assume my input is useless...

fwiw i sample on the fly from modular into an ms surface running ableton 9 and trigger a screenful of loops and although i usually do about an hours worth by feeding in extra variety from the kontakt and ableton fx/processing, i'm sure i could keep going pretty much indefinitely without annoying repetition.

i occasionally broadcast to the muffs irc peeps and the recordings of some of those broadcasts are in circulation on the 'radio' there smile

i am currently saving for an akai mpc40 to trigger ableton and the remaining modules i need to make enough modular voices and sequencing to do completly live modular...
ether
Thanks heaps.

Interesting Steevio. I've got similar dedicated drum modules, plus various other general modules for additional space, but my sequencing isn't as advanced yet. It appears I'm mostly missing some switches and adders, so your approach gives me something to go on.

Would love a decent photo or two of your modular layout on this thread as well. I think many would be interested in your setup.

PhineasFreak, that sounds cool too. I'm resolutely computerless for now, but it's always interesting to hear about different techniques.
PhineasFreak
sadly i have no sequencing and no drum modules so until i'm richer i will have to continue to work with a computer :(
Steevio
ether wrote:

Would love a decent photo or two of your modular layout on this thread as well. I think many would be interested in your setup.

sorry its a bit of a fuzzy image taken with a rubbish phone, not in the picture is a Moog Voyager RME with CV breakout box, a sherman filterbank 2 and two Moogerfooger MF101s.
at the moment the third A155 is only being used for kickdrums and volume control of the Moog, but ive only just got it, so its not integrated yet.
velcro keeps the knobs free for live tweaking and jacks free for live patching.

tron23
Roland TR helping hand also deFormer with AnaX, all by themselves or as great partners to the modular!
ether
Thanks heaps for the insights Steevio, and everyone.

thumbs up
loustic
Steevio wrote:
i think a lot depends on what type of gigs you're doing. If you're playing to dance floors, discontinuity and messing around between tunes is going to kill it.
I played live with only 2 x TB303s, a TR909, and SH101, mixer plus a delay and reverb for many years and never had any trouble keeping it going and changing, but i was playing to audiences who really wanted to dance to Acid Techno, so it was difficult to do anything wrong in the eyes of the crowd.
Practice is the key, and under the conditions you would get at a gig. imagine you have an audience to keep you sharp, and keep going no matter what.

now i play a more Detroit-ish live 100% improvised with a modular and a Moog Voyager RME, no drum machines or saved patches or sequences. this is much harder, and you have to practice even more, so that you just know what to do in any situation.

when i come to the end of a section and i'm filtering down, i take everything down to a rumble, soften and deepen the kick, lose the hats, filter down the percussion and any synth sounds to keep it hypnotic and to keep people dancing. then i bring in the new patterns and sounds gradually. this is an experimental phase because i'm trying patterns out that might not work, so i only bring in percussion to start with, you can quickly tell if its working and you want to keep it or try something else, then i might bring in the odd bass note or synth sound in small stabs, again i can tell if its going to work or not, and there's nothing lost as it will be perceived as syncopation.

your situation is a kind of hybrid of the two ways ive performed live, i can imagine its harder for you, because you've got to pull lots of bits of kit together into a coherent performance, with my 100 % modular approach ive built it exactly how i want it for a live performance, and ive practiced so much i insticntively know what to do, and also with the simple acid approach it was a system that just worked, Acid was massive in the UK at the time, lots of people played live with similar set-ups.

its a bit hard to give advice, but analogue filters are really useful, having a few filters on groups on your mixer so you can filter down groups of sounds at the same time would be one...
get an analogue sequencer(s) as soon as possible, and just keep practicing !!!
dont play live till you are totally confident !!

Thank you so much Steevio! very interesting ideas for live performance.
huberklaus
i am dreaming of a much smaller setup keeping the drums (tr-8 and volca sample) out of the modular. i ordered the loquelic iteritas vco and i don’t know yet how to integrate it. i love dark and rather brutal sounding techno with lots of bass and not too repetitive, neither too chaotic. i want to experiment live without total failure …

any suggestions how to get that and keep a got flow performing live? what modules do i absolutely must get?
rhythmdial
huberklaus wrote:
i am dreaming of a much smaller setup keeping the drums (tr-8 and volca sample) out of the modular. i ordered the loquelic iteritas vco and i don’t know yet how to integrate it. i love dark and rather brutal sounding techno with lots of bass and not too repetitive, neither too chaotic. i want to experiment live without total failure …

any suggestions how to get that and keep a got flow performing live? what modules do i absolutely must get?
it can be a lot easier if you mix songs like an oldschool dj would, but given the benefits of a live setup you can pick and choose pieces to mix in time instead of just EQ-killing and bringing in the mids or lows, etc.
Can you organize your modular to run different sequences to the same clock, not using one sequencer for all of your basslines and synth work can be a huge step in freedom to combine elements to make transitions smoother from song to song.

I try to have almost 2 setups running and only combine all of the pieces for a few songs, it makes for a lot of fun if you don't get too complex with your setup.
Like the DrumDokta2 I have can easily be used to sequence other drums and while the same sequence is running I can make the switch to other drums being triggered by it to change into the next tune.
huberklaus
different sequences is the key, i agree! i soon will get a varigate 4 to trigger my LI. if that makes any sense. i don’t know. i just wanted to have the varigate, because it is easy to understand and it has a little "source of uncertancy" so to speak.

i got some advice from BlueWolfSe7en which make a lot of sense to me. he told me to use a 4ms PEG and/or a octocontroller:

"Octocontroller looks complicated but isn't too bad really. Like learning one channel strip on a console, all the others are duplicates. It's really good for LFO's & shifting the phase. You could for eg modulate 4 parameters on the LI but have them all moving at different speeds & peaking at different phases to create long shifting patterns!"

that sounds really great, i think!
PhineasFreak
wow - twice in one day a thread springs to life that i posted in so long ago that my original post is completely obsolete.

i know have a bunch of hexinverter mutant drums, a dinsync drumdokta mkii and a bunch of sequencing modules. i can do generative techno for well over an hour without it getting repetitive in a bad way or becoming boring - yay!
huberklaus
great techno, PhineasFreak! i am aiming for more destructiveness and less professionality. any tips for a stupid beginner?

well, i can make techno and acid with my roland gear, but that is getting boring to me. looking for more excitement and experimental gear, so i want to go modular.
daveholiday
So this is my 2 cents from a midi based non-computer rig and mind you this is just food for thought....

I started playing live with Roland MC-505 back in about 2003. The thing I liked about it was the flexibility of the midi and sequencer in the "live" environment. I didn't really like the sounds, but found that it could control any midi gear and still retain the performance aspect of the sequencer. Although it is only 8 channels, you can mix and match pattern parts on the fly so it is easy to keep a "track" going for hours. Really, the MC-505 is easy to learn, cheap, and with the right hardware a pretty decent command station....for midi based setups.

That being said I still use my MC-505 with my modular through a 4 channel midi cv/gate interface in my studio. I love being able to have 4 independent CV channels that I can manipulate with the 505...and clocking 4 different gates to a specific BPM based on note data is very nice!

Just some input, as I see MC-505s going for next to nothing these days. The LCD panels go bad....don't sweat it...I replaced mine myself for about 35 dollars.

I know this isn't as elegant as some setups here but it suited me pretty well for a few years doing the improve thing on stage.
PhineasFreak
huberklaus wrote:
great techno, PhineasFreak! i am aiming for more destructiveness and less professionality. any tips for a stupid beginner?

well, i can make techno and acid with my roland gear, but that is getting boring to me. looking for more excitement and experimental gear, so i want to go modular.

i'm slightly confused - i wasnt aware i had posted links to any techno anywhere on this forum. heres links to my soundclouds, the stuff labelled waxcide is techno, the stuff labelled thomas wulfe is generally idm or ambient so is more experimental:

https://soundcloud.com/waxcide
https://soundcloud.com/wofl-best-of/
https://soundcloud.com/ylem-records

if you want your music to sound experimental my only advice is play with a modular and record sounds you like - the difficult part is reigning in the weirdness enough to get coherent tunes rather than managing to sound experimental enough thumbs up
huberklaus
absolutely amazing stuff, PhineasFreak!

i really don’t know where modular is going to take me. i don’t like the idea of sampling cool sounding parts and creating "songs" out of this, because i know this takes some serious effort. i just want to see the fun part like turning knobs and be surprised what happens. but on the other hand, just turning knobs might get boring? will see …
huberklaus
daveholiday -- thanks for this cool and money saving idea!

i have an old roland MC 303. a few months ago i tried to pair it via MIDI cable with my roland TR-8 -- it didn’t work out. the mc-303 couldn’t hold the tempo in sync. don’t know why, i tried different solutions without success.

what midi-module do you use to trigger your modular? i see that a lot of people are selling their Yarns right now and i am wondering why.
PhineasFreak
huberklaus wrote:
absolutely amazing stuff, PhineasFreak!

i really don’t know where modular is going to take me. i don’t like the idea of sampling cool sounding parts and creating "songs" out of this, because i know this takes some serious effort. i just want to see the fun part like turning knobs and be surprised what happens. but on the other hand, just turning knobs might get boring? will see …

thnx w00t

something tells me you wont be bored just tuming knobs...
Reese P. Dubin
The only rule I have derived as an observer, is the bigger the modular rig the more boring and groovebox sounding the set. Too many preordained parts and zero pushing into interesting territory.

Again, merely an observation.
daveholiday
huberklaus wrote:
daveholiday -- thanks for this cool and money saving idea!

i have an old roland MC 303. a few months ago i tried to pair it via MIDI cable with my roland TR-8 -- it didn’t work out. the mc-303 couldn’t hold the tempo in sync. don’t know why, i tried different solutions without success.

what midi-module do you use to trigger your modular? i see that a lot of people are selling their Yarns right now and i am wondering why.

I am currently using a Syntecno TeeBee to trigger my modular. The TeeBee has 4CV and 4Gate outs spread across 4 midi channels so I have a bit of flexibility there for layering CV/Gate signals.

I had a TR-8 for a couple weeks,. While it sounded good and I liked the features, I was a bit upset about the sequencer being a bit limited. I was used to the way the MC-505 sequencer worked and I have been using a Novation D-station as my drum module so it seemed a bit redundant.
daveholiday
I can't give you direct advice regarding the MC-303, but I do know that there were a couple instances where the MC-505 needed to be synced to an external source to keep everything on the same BPM. Did you try making the TR-8 the master clock and slaving the 303 to it?

Also, I have always wanted to play with a Yamaha RMX1. It seems like that sequencer is even more powerful than the MC-505. I don't see why that box could be another affordable "performance" sequencer for external gear.
Mosiej
Quote:
Anyone having success with any of the euro compressors?

I use the jellysquasher / wmd compressor live all the time. trick is to try not to deviate too far on the set patch !
xenosapien
I have the Mutant Hot Glue... using it with mixed success...

it´s okay for the sidechaining and also a little bit for the distortion/saturation, but I don´t really like the mixer part of it, ironically...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2