MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gone did done it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Gone did done it
sgnhh

Picked up this early model Malgorithm off of ebay.
Muff Wiggler
no shit!! wow, very cool score indeed, congrats! 8)
wwbjd
The Malgorithm is a wild untamed beast. Post some clips!
D/A A/D
I was hoping someone on here would grab that...

congrats, I think it looks way hotter... and its 2 hp smaller.
Soy Sos
Yeah the Malgorithm is a really fun and useful module.
Something interesting to do is use it to destroy control
voltages. You can take a clean sine LFO and turn it in
to a jagged stepped modulation source!
sgnhh
How do you know it's 2hp smaller? That would make it 7hp, which is really small. It appears to be the same size as the regular module to me, but if it is smaller, then awesome.
D/A A/D
sgnhh wrote:
How do you know it's 2hp smaller? That would make it 7hp, which is really small. It appears to be the same size as the regular module to me, but if it is smaller, then awesome.

Because a friend also has the same module, and he was trying to sell it to me... I am pretty sure its either 7 or 8 hp...
sgnhh
Cool, definitely can't complain about more rack space.
consumed
excellent! SlayerBadger!

i was checking that module out. i like the 'early prototype' look of that one.
chimologic
I have one of these too, mine says #3 int he back, what number is the one you got?

is 10 hp so not smaller, but definetlly the standard size helps to fit things nicely with other euro. (the regular ones are 9 which can be a pain in the ass)

talking about harvestman I just got my polyvoks a few days ago. is VERY NICE.

I might get the Zorlon at some point too.

which reminds me that I need to make some room, completely unrelated, but I am going to have an mfb triple dco and the video module for sale soon, if anyone here is interested drop me a pm.
sgnhh
The seller said this is #2. I wonder if the first one was ever sold or if Scott hung onto it.
governor blacksnake
The first one (000) had a black and orange panel... it's in a box under my desk! 001 went to a friend (pcb only), and this 002 went to Shawn. Not sure who he sold it to but I guess it's yours now!

I built about 15 modules total in that style from 11/06 to 9/07 - half had 9HP black and orange panels. The last 8 or so had ribbon connectors going from PCB to the wired pots and jacks instead of flying wires on both sides.

We've come a long way since then - shipping Malgorithm #139 (not counting those first 15) to Analogue Haven tomorrow!

This week I did some work on the Malgorithm 2.0 firmware which should increase the sampling rate, add cool new features, and also be directly applicable to the "Empty Quiver" bitcrusher pedal design I'm about to produce.

Note that the first 35 malgorithms used a different DAC and voltage regulator combination - the replacement parts cost a lot less and sound a lot better. You can improve the performance of your Malgorithm by replacing the voltage regulator with a LM78M05 (TO-252 DPAK package). The DAC change is not possible without a PCB and firmware replacement, but you aren't missing out on _that_ much since the Malgorithm only runs at 8 bits max anyway.

-Scott
felix
SlayerBadger!

You even got those little red switch condoms!
sgnhh
I prefer the way it feels with condoms... never thought I'd be saying something like that.

Scott, what's new with the Malgorithm firmware? Or is that top secret?
governor blacksnake
sgnhh wrote:
I prefer the way it feels with condoms... never thought I'd be saying something like that.

Scott, what's new with the Malgorithm firmware? Or is that top secret?

Since the bit depth reduction can cause the sound to drop out on some of the crazier waveshaper modes, in those modes I am assigning the BD control to instead modify constants, etc so the sound can be varied.

Also, the 2.0 upgrade includes one component change (a crystal swap) so the whole deal can run at 40mhz instead of 20.

No promises here, but I'm trying a few methods out for continuously variable amplitude quantization (non-integer bit depth reduction). Not sure if the processor is fast enough to support this, but I'm trying.

If I get something out of this that's worth releasing, an upgrade to the new firmware will be as simple as sending me the old unit and a few bucks.

-Scott
whyterabbyt
governor blacksnake wrote:

If I get something out of this that's worth releasing, an upgrade to the new firmware will be as simple as sending me the old unit and a few bucks.

-Scott

anything more DIY for those of us for whom that'd be a transatlantic send-and-return? (and no doubt another f*cking set of import duties)
D/A A/D
whyterabbyt wrote:
governor blacksnake wrote:

-Scott

anything more DIY for those of us for whom that'd be a transatlantic send-and-return? (and no doubt another f*cking set of import duties)

If its shipped as a warranty replacement, they are not supposed to be able to charge import fees.
Kwote
sgnhh wrote:
I prefer the way it feels with condoms

not me. i likes it raw dogg!
D/A A/D
for those of you who like switch condoms...

re:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1086
Kent
Seems weird that serial #002 is back up on ebastard again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harvestman-Malgorithm-modular-synthesizer-doepfer_ W0QQitemZ260256347666QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem
D/A A/D
Kent wrote:
Seems weird that serial #002 is back up on ebastard again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harvestman-Malgorithm-modular-synthesizer-doepfer_ W0QQitemZ260256347666QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Oh fuck...
Cybananna
yea, I sent him a question last night about it. I haven't heard back. Maybe it's accidently listed. ....or a scam? There's only one serial #2 and sgnhh just bought it. confused
D/A A/D
Cybananna wrote:
yea, I sent him a question last night about it. I haven't heard back. Maybe it's accidently listed. ....or a scam? There's only one serial #2 and sgnhh just bought it. confused

Well lets hope he did...
sgnhh
I bought it then on Friday I got fired from my temp job (company budgeting issues, they couldn't afford to keep me around) that was supposed to last until September. The temp. agency has already got me set up with a new place, but at the time I found out I was fired I knew that I couldn't risk spending that kind of money on a module. So I asked him to cancel the auction and I'd just pay him the ebay fees the auction cost. He was very accommodating.

So the one there isn't a dupe, I just was unable to complete the purchase at the last minute.
consumed
sorry to hear about that. you'll have a malgo soon enough.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2