MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some ardcore questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author Some ardcore questions
eclectics
So I just got an ardcore. and it's It's peanut butter jelly time!
Brilliant module, may even be a partial cure for GAS.

I've tried out a number of sketches, love the FAC drums, the FlexArp (hello tangerine dream) and a bunch of others.

I've started to write some of my own sketches; a simple sample and hold (very simple; god how easy was that?) Didn't have one, so just saved myself $; a rotating shift register thing, a basic sequencer-- nothing too fancy, probably there's better in the libraries, but I wanted to work it out.

So the questions
* is there any access to the tx/rx pins? With my arduino board, I've used it to send raw midi; rough, but works. I'd like to try to get cv in from the qunexus, and send back midi to trigger the lights; to make a neat sequencer thing. The docs say these pins are unused?

* can I use the D0 and D1 for gate inputs? I tried, but didn't get anywhere.

* do the D0/D1 leds just show the state of D0/D1, or can the jack output be different than the led state? So far I've just set them high/low to get the leds to light up.

* Is there a manual for the expander? Can you direct me to a good sample sketch that uses it's capabilities well? I've been so impressed with the module that I'm thinking to get the expander. It looks like 8 more addressable digital pins (with leds) and that go to 10v, 2 more analog inputs, but with attenuversion, and something about pin 11/12 pwm that I don't understand?

Sorry if any of this is covered by sketches or other documentation-- there's a lot there, and a lot I don't understand (bytebeats? help )

Thanks.
AsceticUnderground
I'll leave the circuit questions for Dan or Darwin (though i dont think tx/rx is available and i dont think you can use the digital outputs as inputs, though i have never tried it) but with regards to the expander I did a little tutorial sketch thats in my ardcore repo that explains the basics of using it. If you want to see a sketch that uses the extra output pins in major way check out my 'Tapped Out' sketch as well. Its worth noting that the outputs you get are are DAC out pins, so you cant send specific stuff to the pins and use the dac separately at the same time. But still the expander is well worth it imo
eclectics
Thanks, i'll check out those sketches.

Another question-- is the clock input the only one that can generate an interrupt?

Are their any importsnt differences with the snazzy version and the original 5u design?

I'm happy to read through arduino UNO docs, but I don't know to what extent the ardcore puts constraints on what's possible with a bare UNO regarding what's possible with the pins.
darwingrosse
eclectics wrote:
So the questions
* is there any access to the tx/rx pins? With my arduino board, I've used it to send raw midi; rough, but works. I'd like to try to get cv in from the qunexus, and send back midi to trigger the lights; to make a neat sequencer thing. The docs say these pins are unused?

Not from the front panel. I guess you could snag them off the pinouts on the chip, but using the rx/tx will shunt out the USB/Serial input. Not a huge loss, but definitely a hacker move.

eclectics wrote:
* can I use the D0 and D1 for gate inputs? I tried, but didn't get anywhere.

Nope. The D0 and D1 outputs are buffered, so they wouldn't return data to the Arduino pins.

eclectics wrote:
* do the D0/D1 leds just show the state of D0/D1, or can the jack output be different than the led state? So far I've just set them high/low to get the leds to light up.

They are buffered outputs from the same pins (p3 and p4 in Arduino-speak), so they are not separately addressable.

eclectics wrote:
* Is there a manual for the expander? Can you direct me to a good sample sketch that uses it's capabilities well? I've been so impressed with the module that I'm thinking to get the expander. It looks like 8 more addressable digital pins (with leds) and that go to 10v, 2 more analog inputs, but with attenuversion, and something about pin 11/12 pwm that I don't understand?

The SnazzyFX expander is different from the 20Objects one. On both, the eight outputs are just the eight "bits" of the DAC output (Arduino p5 through p12). On the SnazzyFX expander, there are two additional *bipolar* (+/- 5V) inputs that you can address in the sketch using analogRead(4) and analogRead(5). The controls provide attenuation of the incoming value (toward 0 volts, which will register as the value of 512 in a sketch).

The pin 11 and *13* are two interesting additions. Pin 11 is provided as separate output because a lot of Arduino audio sketches use the PWM function of Pin 11 for output. Pin 13 (which is not accessible from the main ArdCore) is just a handy extra pin.

The Reset button is also important. Some of the sketches I've created are "compound" sketches, which implement several different functions that are determined at startup time. Previously, to switch sketch functions, you had to turn your modular off and on. Now, you can hit the Reset switch and it restarts the ArdCore without affecting any other modules.

I use the expander all the time - for two primary things. First, I have a performance sketch that is a combo quantizer and CV recorder (with looped playback). The expander keeps me visually informed of the quantizer output - meaning I can kind of tell what is playing before I turn up the oscillator's volume. Super-handy in a live context.

The other thing is as multiple outputs for clock dividers and multipliers. I do that stuff all the time, and it is very helpful to have that many outputs.

eclectics wrote:
Sorry if any of this is covered by sketches or other documentation-- there's a lot there, and a lot I don't understand (bytebeats? help )

Thanks.

Well, not all of the above may make sense at first, but it will probably eventually be useful. There is a lot there - almost all of the Arduino world in a 10-16 HP space. Feel free (I mean this for anyone...) to PM me with questions or ideas, or email me at ddg@20objects.com

Thanks for listening!
darwingrosse
eclectics wrote:
Thanks, i'll check out those sketches.

Another question-- is the clock input the only one that can generate an interrupt?

Are their any importsnt differences with the snazzy version and the original 5u design?

I'm happy to read through arduino UNO docs, but I don't know to what extent the ardcore puts constraints on what's possible with a bare UNO regarding what's possible with the pins.

Only pins 2 and 3 of an Arduino can produce interrupts. Pin 3 is used as an output, so pin 2 (the clock input) is the only interrupt-based input.

The only difference between the snazzy version and 5u version is the Arduino-basis. The 5U (20objects) version uses an Arduino Nano on the board. The SnazzyFX uses a build-out of an Arduino Uno. So you have to select a different board type when uploading a sketch.

I use both: obviously, I build the 5u versions. But Dan keeps me in Euro as well - and it performs a critical role in my performance rig. But the sketches are all the same...!
eclectics
This is very useful thanks. I've been reading your thesis; Appendix A is a very handy summary.

I do have to spend more time with the sketches people have made-- but I've been having too much fun making my own! Nothing terribly original yet, but I learn better if I try to work stuff out for myself before looking at what someone else has done.

Expander arrived today. I'm having fun watching the pretty lights on my rotating shift register and listening to the raindrop plinks I'm getting. It's raining outside too, making for quite a lovely evening.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1