MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new HORNET synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author new HORNET synth
shaft9000

http://www.hornet-modular.de/

looks pretty slick.

"What is the Hornet?
It's a handmade classical portable modular synthesizer with subtractive / FM analogue synthesis.

PCB design by Derek Revell.

Features
3x OCS's, switchable from hi to lo (OSC). OSC 2 with sync switch and depth pot.
1x VCF (18/24 dB)
1x Envelope Generator with inverter switch.
Ghielmetti matrix: 20 x 20 signal distributor with black panel (Sealectro look) and 16 pins.
Midi interface.
CV / Gate interface: in and outputs.
Sample & hold module
Digital frequency meter: Range 20-20000Hz.
Removable 12V BNC lamp.
Symmetrical outputs.
XY axis joystick.
Noise generator.
Spring reverb.
Suitcase with removable lid.
Additional modifications on request.

How to order?
Your Hornet will be made to order, so it is essential that we schedule its production as soon as possible.

Once your order has been placed and payment received, we'll start the production process.

4999€ net. Price does not include shipping and customs duty."

originally posted by sensorium @ VSE forum

i wonder what the edp aesthetic is about...is there perhaps a wasp filter in there?
for this kind of money it should come with a hugeungous jar of honey, too.
papz
It's not Derek Revell's.
It's Pin's project, with Ramcur, using the PCBs that Derek sells.
amnesia
Be interested to hear it.
qu.one
Good for them - but feature set and pricing doesn't make one lick of sense to me. One filter and one envelope? 5k Euros. Riiiiight.
amnesia
If it was EUR3000 I would be interested.
strettara
amnesia wrote:
If it was EUR3000 I would be interested.

Would you? I would have been interested in 1978, if I'd had the cash, but apart from the matrix (which is awesome, of course) I don't see how this is anything special. It looks like a more famous collectible synth which goes for silly money secondhand, but apart from that...
chrisso
Features vs price is terrible.
Peake
It's beautiful, but price-wise, hope spring reverbs eternal.
BHC303
Looks cool 8_)
lvoemachine
total letdown feature-wise. I wonder if people who do this sort of thing even contemplate what we all want. It may look cool, but so do a million other things. While I condone someone making something interesting, this is unnecessarily crippled with a single EG. The vostok is even better than this thing.
Gringo Starr
I know this might not be a fair comparison but as far as price and features goes what do you think about the Macbeth Elements which is 6500 GBP as opposed to this being 5000 Euro? Are these guys profiting all that much on this stuff? Or is it really overpriced?
amnesia
I appreciate all the work that goes on but I think they think oh well an EMS Synthi is $10k up so there could? be a market for people with $7k.

Personally I am a fan of, if you are making an OK margin at a lower price you will sell twice as many at a lower price.
megaohm
If I was rich,
I wouldn't care how much it costs.
I'd buy it for looks alone.
Wow!
dan_p
Gringo Starr wrote:
I know this might not be a fair comparison but as far as price and features goes what do you think about the Macbeth Elements which is 6500 GBP as opposed to this being 5000 Euro? Are these guys profiting all that much on this stuff? Or is it really overpriced?

i don't think elements is 6.5k, i thought it was going to be just under 4k. And you are paying for an original (inspired by) design.

your man is free to charge what he wants, only he knows how much work he put in. Would i buy it at 5k. No. it doesn't matter what the price of a real one is. Problem is, you buy this thing for 5 and its worth half that, buy a Synthi for 10k and its still worth 10k. I say worth but I mean resale, is a synthi actualy worth 10k?

Ha, i just checked out the website, they have gone for the full Synthi experience, you have to get on a waiting list! hihi

Looks cool though, hopefully he sells a few and they appear second hand occassionaly.
NYMo
Think I'll stick with my iVSC3 until the real thing ( Cornwall)arrives hihi
Personally, the hornet reminds we of the wasp !

Cheers
abstraktor
So it is a complete Synthi clone then? But with an EDP paintjob.
I think I'd want to hear it in action and quiz the builders about components before I ordered it for.......5000 Euros! eek!
Aimed at people who can't get hold of a real EMS but like the idea of having this. And don't know much about modular synthesizers.
I think the case looks like a cheap plastic toolkit container - not exactly a Samnsonite , although it's difficult to tell from one photograph.
analoglsd
lvoemachine wrote:
total letdown feature-wise. I wonder if people who do this sort of thing even contemplate what we all want. It may look cool, but so do a million other things. While I condone someone making something interesting, this is unnecessarily crippled with a single EG. The vostok is even better than this thing.

It's the same feature set as the Synthi, but adds Sample&Hold, and has extra patch points...and you kinda have 2 EG's with the Trapezoid Generator.

The Vostok is certainly more flexible since it has 1/8" jacks for all the inputs and outputs, but the patch matrix is so small, that it's not really feasible to use in a live setting, whereas a Synthi patch bay is larger and way easier to navigate patch points easily.

abstraktor wrote:

I think the case looks like a cheap plastic toolkit container - not exactly a Samnsonite , although it's difficult to tell from one photograph.

On the Synthi forum, I believe that Pin stated that the case was made of metal.

Personally, I'm pretty let down by the price and lack of details/demo.
I assumed that it would be under $5k USD, but I'd guess that these short-run projects are very expensive to make, and I'm sure that wiring it together takes forever.
I'd really like to know if the filter is the WASP filter, or if the only similarity is the visual aesthetic.
Rod Serling Fan Club
Gringo Starr wrote:

Thinking the same thing. I think the Macbeth is one of the prettiest synths I've ever seen but its features set is pretty damn typical and not that exciting at half the price. I guess there are different niches for different folks.

Someone just needs to make a nice little manufactured SMT AKS for $1K and be done with it. There not that much going on in those things.
abstraktor
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
Someone just needs to make a nice little manufactured SMT AKS for $1K and be done with it. There not that much going on in those things.

Totally agree, but I suppose a lot of builders are holding off because Robin Wood is still going with EMS Cornwall. The thing is - both the Hornet and the Elements are synths that seem to be aimed at people who don't know much about synthesis and probably get the fear from cables and sockets, otherwise they'd go modular, spend less cash and have a much more flexible and powerful system. There's also the 'look what I can spend on a boutique instrument' factor as well. Having had a look at ModularGrid last night, there's something like 50 different VCO's available in Euro format just now - gulp. What a great time to start out on analogue synthesis!
papz
qu.one wrote:
Good for them - but feature set and pricing doesn't make one lick of sense to me. One filter and one envelope? 5k Euros. Riiiiight.

A Ferrari is one chassis, 4 wheels, a motor, a steering wheel, a gearbox, a body.
A Kia is one chassis, 4 wheels, a motor, a steering wheel, a gearbox, a body.
flts
abstraktor wrote:
The thing is - both the Hornet and the Elements are synths that seem to be aimed at people who don't know much about synthesis and probably get the fear from cables and sockets, otherwise they'd go modular, spend less cash and have a much more flexible and powerful system.

Isn't that's a bit like saying "bass guitars are for people who're scared of strings, otherwise they'd get a double necked 18 string guitar"?

I mean, certainly if the premise is that synthesizers should be insanely flexible open-ended tools/instruments for sonic experimentation, then one should step away from stuff like the MacBeth Elements right now and run to Schneidersbuero and put together a killer euro system. However, that doesn't mean a modular synth rig would be the best fit for the cases where you actually want or need a classic, thick sounding 3 VCO analog mono. If you are going "meh" at the thought of that, it's just not for you.

For me the reason to get interested in Elements is that it's a complete, self-contained instrument that happens to sound bloody amazing based on demos. No, it's not as "flexible" as something like MN Shared System (or 2-3 rows of euro of your choice) but it isn't meant to be.

As for price-per-module ratio discussed in the thread as well... Well, at least my idea is that when you look for tools, you look at the specifications and try to optimize a certain price-to-features ratio. For example, when buying a computer you'd probably want to optimize price vs power, size, noise level, et cetera...

... and when you look for an instrument, you look for something you gel with / fall in love and are itching to make music with. You probably won't try to find the cheapest VCO available, buy ten of those for the price of one expensive one and after that be like "I got a ten VCO system for much less than your one VCO one, this is 10x better for the same price". At least that's not how I do it.

(Not too interested in the Hornet at all, though...)
papz
100% agree with you flts thumbs up

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:

Welcome in crosstalk land hihi
flts
papz wrote:
qu.one wrote:

A Ferrari is one chassis, 4 wheels, a motor, a steering wheel, a gearbox, a body.
A Kia is one chassis, 4 wheels, a motor, a steering wheel, a gearbox, a body.

Also see the biggest ripoff of our time: http://buchla.com/shop/music-easel/

(Kidding of course, I wouldn't mind one...)
abstraktor
lol Fair analogy, and I do love the conventional mono-synths I have, but for £4K I'd be looking at the Voyager XL with all the bells and whistles- not the Elements. Personal preference, of course.
flts
abstraktor wrote:
lol Fair analogy, and I do love the conventional mono-synths I have, but for £4K I'd be looking at the Voyager XL with all the bells and whistles- not the Elements. Personal preference, of course.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks for sure! I'm so much after "that sound" (or more like "those sounds") in my head, Elements sounds lovely to me whereas I've tried the Voyager XL and the sound didn't get me super excited despite the cool feature set.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14