And so it begins....

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

And so it begins....

Post by russma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Image

Image

My first 5U rig. This weekend I built the DotCom DIY case and loaded it up with the few used MOTM modules I've been buying up for the past several weeks:

(1) 300 and 310 oscillators
(2) 800 envelopes
(1) 190 VCA
(1) 900 power supply
(1) JH Tau Phaser

Even with the few modules I have, I can tell that this is going to be a fantastic synth. Great sound.

No filter module yet. I'm using a Frostwave Resonater filter box for now, but I have in mind a MOTM-440 and, hopefully an STG Mankato. Haven't ordered them yet. Need to sell some other stuff first.

Todd Fletcher is making me a JH FS1a module, to which I am really looking forward.

That's the good news. The bad news is you'll be suffering from my inane nube questions from here on out.

:despair:
Last edited by russma on Mon May 10, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Malekko
:super awesome ninja:
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 am

Post by Malekko » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm

The MOTM-440 is a super fantastic filter...so is the 480!

:love:
parasitk wrote:There are a lot of talented synth designers here, but I'm sorry to say that none of them invented the triangle.

User avatar
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

Post by russma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:09 pm

...agreed.

I'm going to get the 830 mixer first, then either the 440 or the Mankato.
Last edited by russma on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed
Posts: 5398
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: New Haven, CT USA

Post by decaying.sine » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 pm

You should snag a 440 in Synth Tech's upcoming Dec 28th kit sale. That'll save you about $75 according to Paul.

I've got a STG 5U Mankato in the mail sometime soon. Can't wait.

That's a great set of modules and a nice looking case. Is that a MOTM-900 power supply? I got a 950, and a couple power-ones I am working on.

Have fun!
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

theinnerpalm
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by theinnerpalm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 pm

pretty sexy! :yay:

congrats!

my first modules should be here sometime this week :rage: want now!!

User avatar
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

Post by russma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 pm

decaying.sine wrote:You should snag a 440 in Synth Tech's upcoming Dec 28th kit sale. That'll save you about $75 according to Paul.

I've got a STG 5U Mankato in the mail sometime soon. Can't wait.

That's a great set of modules and a nice looking case. Is that a MOTM-900 power supply? I got a 950, and a couple power-ones I am working on.

Have fun!
Thanks. I'm not feeling the kit-building urge right now. A few years ago, I built two rows of Blacet modules, and it was really fun, but I just don't have the urge right now. Of course, as everyone on this forum knows, desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures...

Glad to hear you're getting a 5U Mankato. Last I heard from Suit, he wasn't planning to produce any more in MOTM style.

And yes, it's a used 900 power supply I bought from a guy in New York.
Last edited by russma on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

Post by russma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 pm

theinnerpalm wrote:pretty sexy! :yay:

congrats!

my first modules should be here sometime this week :rage: want now!!
Thanks theinnerpalm. What modules are you getting?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:37 pm

That's awesome, congrats! It's looking really nice. 8_) :yay: You should change your name to GeniusMan now! :tu: :lol:

Feel free to ask questions anytime!

User avatar
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed
Posts: 5398
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: New Haven, CT USA

Post by decaying.sine » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 pm

idiotboy wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:You should snag a 440 in Synth Tech's upcoming Dec 28th kit sale. That'll save you about $75 according to Paul.

I've got a STG 5U Mankato in the mail sometime soon. Can't wait.

That's a great set of modules and a nice looking case. Is that a MOTM-900 power supply? I got a 950, and a couple power-ones I am working on.

Have fun!
Thanks. I'm not feeling the kit-building urge right now. A few years ago, I built two rows of Blacet modules, and it was really fun, but I just don't have the urge right now. Of course, as everyone on this forum knows, desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures...

Glad to hear you're getting a 5U Mankato. Last I heard from Suit, he wasn't planning to produce any more in MOTM style.

And yes, it's a used 900 power supply I bought from a guy in New York.
I've got the builds stacking up now and I would rather just buy most things. I've got the Oakley Supperladder Diode and Transistor filters. They are lovely.

The Mankato I ordered from analog haven was being shipped directly from STG, so I figured something was up with their production of them. Glad I bought it when I did.

Can't wait for the sounds!
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

User avatar
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

Post by russma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 pm

JohnLRice wrote:That's awesome, congrats! It's looking really nice. 8_) :yay: You should change your name to GeniusMan now! :tu: :lol:

Feel free to ask questions anytime!
Thanks John! I had been thinking about putting together a 5U rig for a while, but seeing your rig at the PNW synth meeting this year really was the tipping point.

(John has the misfortune of living not terribly far from me, so he can expect me at breakfast tomorrow, asking questions. And searching for pancakes...)

GeniusMan? Hmmm, come to think of it, I do feel smarter. Note to paults: launch new "MOTM makes you smarter" campaign.

:mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”