MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power module - 2 passives?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Power module - 2 passives?
rdomain
Hiya,

I've got a 6U case with the foH Power Module v1 in it. There's a passive Doepfer board attached to it. Can I attach another doepfer board to the remaining +12 and -12 d-tab type connectors to increase the amount of modules I can plug in? Assuming I have a powerful enough wall wart of course.

Any info would be great!

Thanks thumbs up
causticlogic
I don't see why not. uZeus users regularly add additional flying bus boards. If you are just making a jumper from one bus board to the next as a kind of continuation of the bus board, it really wouldn't be any different than if the bus board were longer to begin with, provided you use a sufficient wire gauge to connect the two.
Then, as you mention, the only concern is making sure your current draw doesn't exceed the Power's ability to provide it. A little head room is always good too.
HeWhoWantsJeans
I would say that causticlogic hit the nail right on the head.

+1 goo for causticlogic.
screaming goo yo
rdomain
Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

So on this power module board, there's 3 spare D tabs which I'm thinking I could connect the spare passive to. The connectors available are T-1, T+1 and TG1 which I'm assuming is Terminal -12v, +12v and Ground.

The current board that's in there is connected to T-2, T+2 and TG2 so I'm guessing I can just use those other tabs?

I've attached a pic of the connectors I'm talking about. Circled in red.

Thanks again for the info. Appreciated.

causticlogic
rdomain wrote:
Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

So on this power module board, there's 3 spare D tabs which I'm thinking I could connect the spare passive to. The connectors available are T-1, T+1 and TG1 which I'm assuming is Terminal -12v, +12v and Ground.

The current board that's in there is connected to T-2, T+2 and TG2 so I'm guessing I can just use those other tabs?

Yes, that's what they are there for. thumbs up
rdomain
Sweet. I've plugged it up and so far so good! I've noticed there's no power to plug into the 5v input on the boards. Is this normal? My new Braids for instance says it needs both -12,+12 and 5v. I've previously run a 6U of stuff in there before and never took notice of any 5v needs without a hitch.

Currently searching the forums...
causticlogic
Yeah, Braids needs a 5V supply as well and Power like many other power supplies isn't supplying anything for 5V. You can install one of the many 5V converters out there (Doepfer, Flight of Harmony, Make Noise, Erthenvar, Murable Instruments, and more all make them). They are quite inexpensive. You could even build one quick. The Doepfer one is basically just a TO220 package TS7805 regulator with a standard heatsink on it that is soldered to a connector. Pretty basic but it does what it's supposed to.
Remember though, converters take from the 12V so that is more draw you have to factor in.
rdomain
Thanks for the info causticlogic. Appreciated! I think I'll just put the Braids into one of my HEKs for now as they have 5v and wait until I get my new case. Now I'm off to check which cases have 5v built in. Dead Banana

The 2 passive boards have powered up fine in my spare rack along with a couple of modules so I'm happy with that! I'll just have to double check if any of my other modules need 5v as I install them.
puppydogfish
modules so I'm sell aion kinah happy with that! I'll just have to double check
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1