MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wanted: Volta Breakout Box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Wanted: Volta Breakout Box
alt-mode
I'm looking for a breakout box to use with Volta and my MOTU 24IO. Ideally, I would like a box with 24 x 1/4", 3.5mm, and banana plugs (plus ground) and maybe a multiple in 1/4" and 3.5mm. These could come out to 3 DB25 connectors that I could connect to TRS->DB25 snakes of any length.

I know I could go for more connectors but 24 will be more than enough (16 outputs and 8 inputs is my preferred configuration).

Anybody else need something like this? Anybody want to build one? I don't have the drilling/metal working tools and experience to do it right.
criticalmonkey
try

http://adinfinitummusic.com/

recall something about them doing custom

i designed one and had my 15 year old build it as his first soldering project
alt-mode
Thanks, I'll look into it. The soldering doesn't bother me, it is the metalwork that I don't like. Whenever I have done any drilling or punching, it has come out as a hack job.
futureworlder
try locking everything down as much as possible; go to the HW store and pick up some c-clamps or spring clamps (look like big metal clothespins with the ends dipped in rubber) and a block of scrap wood as a substrate under the metal. also helps alot to use a stationary drill/ guide. metalworking is easy if you take your time and try to be as precise as possible.

I'm looking to build a similar breakout box myself, but one that will "float" the ground internally so that you can use standard TRS cables with 3.5mm patch cables for euro/ frac use. trouble is, I've got little to no workspace to accomplish this right now; let us know if you find someone to bang these out.
mateo
Couldn't you just order a front panel from http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ and assemble it yourself?

If not, Michael from metalbox.com does custom stuff, you can try there
alt-mode
I hadn't realized that FPE also did drilling as well as complete chassis. I'm going to have to check this out, thanks!
coupler
I have figured out a breakout box solution for volta/silent way with no need for special cables. I haven't tested this out just yet as I literally just received the magic box here at work, but in theory it should work perfect. The end result will be a box with 1/8" jacks directly next to/above my euro case, with the top jacks being the normal outputs and the bottom jacks are inverted polarity.

here's what to get:
Rean NYS-SSR-8 1/4" Patch Box 8 Send/Return Modules ($35 - http://www.amazon.com/Rean-NYS-SSR-8-Patch-Return-Modules/dp/B000PHK1G G)
8ch TRS cable snake
16 1/4" to 1/8" adapters from monoprice (0.50 each) - edit: you need STEREO (trs) adapters to make this work with the patch box

The Patch Box is meant for send/return on mixers, which basically means it takes TRS in on one side and spits out TS and RS on the other for each input. You just run the snake from your interface into this box, and then you don't need any special cables made just for Volta. Those 1/4"-1/8" adapters are super cheap on Monoprice, so just get 16 of those and put them all in the TS/TR outputs and then you can just use your normal modular cables to connect to the box. Or if you use a larger format modular then you obviously don't need the adapters...

Rean is a company recently launched by Neutrik, so the quality is pretty nice. I can attest that based on handling this little box, it probably will probably hold up nicely. It's pretty heavy and feels very sturdy. I'm very happy that I randomly found this little magic box. I haven't been able to find anything else like it.

as my first post here, i felt the need to share my find!
xpander
this is definitely an easy DIY project, i'd like to do this myself.
alt-mode
coupler wrote:
I
The Patch Box is meant for send/return on mixers, which basically means it takes TRS in on one side and spits out TS and TR on the other for each input. You just run the snake from your interface into this box, and then you don't need any special cables made just for Volta. Those 1/4"-1/8" adapters are super cheap on Monoprice, so just get 16 of those and put them all in the TS/TR outputs and then you can just use your normal modular cables to connect to the box. Or if you use a larger format modular then you obviously don't need the adapters...

Coupler: Thanks for the info. That is certainly a clean solution for 8 outputs and it is neat that you get the inverted output as well.

Just to correct one item in your description, I think you mean TS and RS (Tip Sleeve and Ring Sleeve, respectively). The Sleeve is the ground and the Tip and Ring are the Hot and Cold signals, respectively.

I'm looking into the Front Panel Express method right now. I'd like to have all three jack types available due to my modular craziness but something simple like a pair of these boxes is very tempting, I must admit!
coupler
alt-mode wrote:

Just to correct one item in your description, I think you mean TS and RS (Tip Sleeve and Ring Sleeve, respectively). The Sleeve is the ground and the Tip and Ring are the Hot and Cold signals, respectively.

durrrrrrrrr d'oh! oops
coupler
So I finally got a chance to test out this setup. It turns out those adapters I got from monoprice were the wrong ones. Not sure why a mono adapter did not work out (not sure if it's the wiring of the adapter or of the patch box), but thankfully I have a few stereo 1/4"-1/8" adapters laying around and those work perfect!

at least the parts that were wrong were the cheapest part of this whole set up..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1