MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modcan Dual delay(worth the purchase?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modcan Dual delay(worth the purchase?)
dmod
So I know this is a killer module because I really want it but man $570 is no chump change. I have other great rack delays and plug ins etc so why do I want this so much? Well because it would be super cool in my modular thats why but back to my first concern(the price). I could get a Eventide Time Factor and a Strymon Timeline for that price but wait I have those! So it is obvious now I am torn. Gear lust or legit masterpiece? love You tell me. What is your opinions? I am very close to buying this might just need a nudge one way or another. hmmm..... Thanks.
rutabaga40
I'd say it's very much worth it. I think it's one of the eurorack 'essentials' (as is the Modcan Quad LFO, btw).
Micro Stuart
Id have to say its both the best and only eurorack delay ive used! It sounds great and as you know has cv control over every parameter. Ive only got 6U at the moment, so the dual is overkill.. But i know ive made a good choice and will be used to its full potential when i expand..
exper
Cv control of everything. Tempo sync that stay even when external sync stops. (Echophon's tempo sync jumps wildly when clock stops)

Great stereo effects, both pitch changing or re sampling delay modes, filtering that actually sounds good.

I didn't want to buy it first either. But I'm definitely glad I did now.
Just get it. It's so worth it! thumbs up
oskies
Yes get it. I sold both my echophones and never looked back. Clean sound,
huge range, does what it says.
HIMA
i'm on the verge with this as well. i have a wow and flutter and expect this will fill a different space.

i'd like to use it with my modular as well as a send with my desk. my alternatives would be the time factor or, if i could find it in stock anywhere, the timeline.

could i get away with that? is the quality and versatility comparable?
Stinktier86
Also - it should do two of the three dimensions in physical modeling synthesis just fine as the max rate is at 0.6 milliseconds - which should be fine for emulating acoustic bodies of 2x2 decimeters and up.
skyshaver
If I didn't already own an Eventide Timefactor I'd have bought the modcan delay. I can live with the Eventide patched in for now but the cv control etc. of the modcan will lead me to replace the eventide with it eventually.
visible cow
It really has become an essential part of my music. I'd like another at some point.
Dcramer
So is the Modcan the best bet for a clean stereo delay? I've got a couple of the other usual suspects, like the Pitts and SOS, but I need something that can do long repeating clean delays for echoing yummy goodness. Guinness ftw!
jc3music
Modcan has some deep modules. I'd like to try their delay. I have their quad LFO and it is amazing.
soundwave106
Stinktier86 wrote:
Also - it should do two of the three dimensions in physical modeling synthesis just fine as the max rate is at 0.6 milliseconds - which should be fine for emulating acoustic bodies of 2x2 decimeters and up.

The low delay times and CV modulate-able delay time also means this unit does dual flanging effects rather well.

(I haven't tested it yet, but it should be able to do a pretty nice 2-delay-line chorus as well. The filter and resample mode though should make things nice here.)

It's expensive, but not many other (any?) filters have both the low LPF in the feedback path, the extensive CV control and syncing abilities, the wide range of delay times (from chorus/flange/modeling range to very long clean delays)... it might be overkill if *all* you want to do is long clean delays (it does do that well, mind you)...
berfmurret
i'm a little confused about this module for karplus strong sounds. ive been given the impression that it can do great sounding super short delay times but for KS it just isn't so capable and that the mungo d0 simply rules the world in this regard. I can dig that the mungo is just absolutely freakazoid tight and controllable with the zoom switch. What is lacking with the modcan for KS? I am absolutely not concerned with 1v/oct controllability because i am a sloppy guy when it comes to melodic content.
Stinktier86
soundwave106 wrote:
Stinktier86 wrote:

The low delay times and CV modulate-able delay time also means this unit does dual flanging effects rather well.

(I haven't tested it yet, but it should be able to do a pretty nice 2-delay-line chorus as well. The filter and resample mode though should make things nice here.)

It's expensive, but not many other (any?) filters have both the low LPF in the feedback path, the extensive CV control and syncing abilities, the wide range of delay times (from chorus/flange/modeling range to very long clean delays)... it might be overkill if *all* you want to do is long clean delays (it does do that well, mind you)...

My god yes. I can only imagine what kind of sweet choruses this one can make. Totally great that the filter is in the loop! Hope to be able to afford it some day. Right now it's not in my budget as i'm saving up for the e370..

berfmurret wrote:
i'm a little confused about this module for karplus strong sounds. ive been given the impression that it can do great sounding super short delay times but for KS it just isn't so capable and that the mungo d0 simply rules the world in this regard. I can dig that the mungo is just absolutely freakazoid tight and controllable with the zoom switch. What is lacking with the modcan for KS? I am absolutely not concerned with 1v/oct controllability because i am a sloppy guy when it comes to melodic content.

mathematically, that's weird, since the highest possible fundamental should be 1,6kHz which should be more than sufficient for most applications. Or do you mean the other end of it?
EnricoGaruda
yes to me the answer is yes it worths

just that we are on topic of chorus,
since i was planing to starting a thread about che chorus capabilities of the dual delay, someone can talk more detailed or post some demos about it,
so there's no need to start a new thread

i find one around 350/370 eu i would buy it now
dmod
As I suspected many praises. There is no doubt it is an epic module for the eurorack world. So tempted. hyper . May have to sell a couple for this one....
dmod
Just hit the green light on this one! Butterflies in my stomach! Most expensive module I have ever bought thats for sure. Dead Banana Excited though. Might have to keep this one a secret from my significant other. hihi
JohnLRice
dmod wrote:
Just hit the green light on this one! Butterflies in my stomach! Most expensive module I have ever bought thats for sure. Dead Banana Excited though. Might have to keep this one a secret from my significant other. hihi
You will love it! thumbs up applause FYI: I have a couple YouTube demos of the 5U version in case you haven't seen them.
sgventil
Can someone who has both the modcan delay and echophon compare them in features/quality/randomness etc? I don´t think I could live without my echophon...and if I was going to add another delay I think I would go for something like timeline....what´s your taughts?

Cheers
matttech
modcan:

cleaner in general
shorter delay times - can do good flanging/ chorus effects
can clip if you don’t watch levels carefully
affects the tone of the inputted (dry) signal - removing top end (can be avoided by modifying it, removing a resistor that filters jitter a little too heavy handedly...according to Bruce)
filter sounds nice and sweet - despite being digital
can be stereo/ dual mono
has no built in attenuation on CV inputs, so you’ll need external attenuators

echophon:

sounds very “tape like”, saturated...and lo-fi
doesn’t affect the dry signal at all
can’t go 100% dry on Mix control (well, mine can’t...apparently due to vactrol)
high feedback settings create a big wash of saturated sound....bit like a BBD. I like it!
pitch shifter adds additional chaos into proceedings - and encourages excessive tweaking during jams
Has freeze function, which works really well with random gates, for example
mono only
playing with controls - esp. delay time - mid jam can produce crazy results...almost like scrubbing a tape back and forth

....both are good in their own ways! I have both
sgventil
Matttech thanks for your comparison! as I presumed I will keep the Echophon and add a Timeline for a more hi fi/stereo delay! Cheers
JohnLRice
matttech wrote:
modcan:
affects the tone of the inputted (dry) signal - removing top end (can be avoided by modifying it, removing a resistor that filters jitter a little too heavy handedly...according to Bruce)

Is there a thread somewhere on this? Thanks!
matttech
no.....I just noticed it when I first tried out the module (it was immediately obvious to me, and my ears are pretty knackered these days...)

I emailed Bruce and that’s what he told me. I haven’t bothered doing the mod yet, but instead mult the input to my interface when using the dual delay. not super keen to take soldering iron to expensive modules unless completely essential
JohnLRice
matttech wrote:
I emailed Bruce and that’s what he told me.
Ahh, OK, thanks for the info! I usually tend to use delays in an effects loop with my modular so that may be why I didn't notice? I'll check it out next time I play with it.
matttech
yeah, it’s nothing major - just dulls the top end a bit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3