MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elby Steiner vs Livewire Frequensteiner
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Elby Steiner vs Livewire Frequensteiner
spbaker
how similar/different are these? are they both built on the same schems/concept? the elby seems a bit more flexible due to the individual HP BP & LP inputs, but what about tone?

would it be doubling up if i have the elby to buy the livewire? or should i get a different filter like the polivoks?

help!
Muff Wiggler
they are different filters - the elby/cgs one is based on the Synthacon filter, with the infamous multimode INPUTS

the Livewire is based on the Synthasystem filter, which has a really interesting resonance circuit to it, but otherwise operates in the standard way - input -> mode selector -> output

i have both and they sound very different, the former is capable of wierd effects that you normally don't get out of filters, by sending different signals into the different inputs.
spbaker
thanks mr. muff!
Muff Wiggler
cheers 8)
Cat-A-Tonic
How about the Doepfer Multi-Input (steiner wannabe) Vactrol Filter?

I have heard sour things about the Elby version of the Synthacon; though this doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad.

Muff, is your version DIY CGS, Metalbox, or Elby?
spbaker
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
How about the Doepfer Multi-Input (steiner wannabe) Vactrol Filter?

I have heard sour things about the Elby version of the Synthacon; though this doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad.

Muff, is your version DIY CGS, Metalbox, or Elby?

dunno about the doepfer but the elby is lots of fun- the bad things were all about when they were first released- there were issues with the PCB, but they have been fixed and it is quite a cool flexible filter- the LP BP & HP inputs make it like a pseudo mixer, and having a resonance trim pot allows it to be calibrated to your taste. it really is a good filter, lots of character!
Muff Wiggler
mine is the CGS one, mounted behind a Blacet blank panel, and it's got an add-on daughterboard from Megaohm which adds a bunch of other cool features along with v/Oct tracking. i should really take a pic.
felix
IMO, the Harvestman Polyvoks is a must have. So if you have something that is at least similar in character to the Frequensteiner (which IMO is also a must have), then I say definitely go for the Polyvoks.
spbaker
felix wrote:
IMO, the Harvestman Polyvoks is a must have.

thats good advice, thanks, i reckon thats what i'm slowly coming around to, at least before getting the Frequensteiner hihi

its just that when any Livewire comes up it seems a good idea to jump on it as when new batches will start coming out is anybodys guess..

i just picked up Ross' Doepfer Xtreme filter to tide me over, and i'm yet to spend quality time with it but first impressions are favorable.

and just as a side note, Ross had had it modified to bananas (the Cliff jacks had been drilled out and the earth removed) and i had to replace them, desolder the old ones and put in the new ones and i also most stuffed it! the traces on the doepfer pcbs are he most delicate traces i have seen on any pcb! as i was lifting the old jacks out a couple of traces lifted and tore. i managed to fix them all but just thought i'd share the warning for anyone wanting to mod a doepfer board- be VERY VERY careful!
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
mine is the CGS one, mounted behind a Blacet blank panel, and it's got an add-on daughterboard from Megaohm which adds a bunch of other cool features along with v/Oct tracking. i should really take a pic.

i'd love to see it. i'm archiving all CGS panel designs for the day i have the balls to DIY a bunch of em.
Muff Wiggler
i'll get a pic later tonight...or maybe sooner. Mine has more jacks and knobs than the stock CGS one would have....
Muff Wiggler
ok, here it is - tell me what you think of the knob/jack layout - I wanted to come up with a way to arrange them that used the existing pilot holes on the Blacet blank panel, plus make sense functionally. Other than being a bit offcenter on the cv in jack (no pilot hole there), i'm really happy with how this turned out.

spbaker
FM in?? WOW! is that part of the add on board? is it hard to do? and (finally) where did ya get it?
Muff Wiggler
yeah the board is FM in, the volume controls for all the mode inputs, the AP in, and the v/Oct.

i don't know if it's hard to do on your own - I got a hand-made PCB from MegaOhm that he stuffed with the components. It was quite a lot of work to wire it into the CGS board though, lots of different points on the daughterboard get wired to lots of different points on the CGS board.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
ok, here it is - tell me what you think of the knob/jack layout - I wanted to come up with a way to arrange them that used the existing pilot holes on the Blacet blank panel, plus make sense functionally. Other than being a bit offcenter on the cv in jack (no pilot hole there), i'm really happy with how this turned out.

i like it. i might try doing all jacks on the lower half and all pots on the upper but maybe not. most of my modules so far have been like yours(blacet style) so i can't contrast enough.

i was thinking before that with all pots on top and jacks on bottom it would eliminate some patch cable clutter but now that i'm making patches with close to 30 or 40 cables i don't think it matters.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1