MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Hex Zone LCD failure?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Hex Zone LCD failure?
idiotunderground
just turned on my system, after a minute reached over to the Hex Zone and realized the LCD was blank screaming goo yo
powered off/on and the "welcome to the zone" intro will flash but then i get a green display with no text screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
took it out of the rack and don't see anything obvious but there is a faint smell screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

i built this module a couple of years ago and have never had any problems, and for months it has been in a studio rack unmoved. any idea what could be the issue/where to start looking? i don't really have any experience with LCDs, could it need to be replaced?
monstrinho
I'd contact Blacet directly about it. He's always been very helpful with any questions I've ever had. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction as far as trouble shooting it goes.
Tubeampguy
This is from http://www.blacet.com/tech.html
Hex Zone Reliability Alert
A few customers have experienced failure of op amp U3 and a blank display screen. Replacing the op amp returns operation to normal.
While we do not have a definite failure mechanism at this time, a likely culprit is the high differential between +15 and -15 current draw (150:1). Upon power down, due to the power supply filter caps, this can cause the +15 to draw down much quicker than the -15. The op amp may be sensitive to having one supply turn off a long time before the other.

As a precaution, we are advising changing "CD" from 100uF to 1uF. "CD" is on the lower side of the power connector.

John's email: blacet@blacet.com
idiotunderground
thanks friends! w00t

i'll try making those changes & contact blacet directly if problems persist
alesauskas
If you end up figuring out the solution to this, I would certainly like to know. I have been having the same problem, unfortunately it has never worked properly since buying it used from the forum. I've made the modifications as described in the reliability alert to no avail, looks like I will eventually have to send it to Blacet.
fracmonkey
Another thing that causes this problem is kit builders failing to closely trim the switch leads on the push button board. These can short against the LCD board when pressed. This is mentioned in the manual.

Fixing this is pretty easy but first take a good look with a bright light. If suspect, then snip the five jumper wires and pop out the switch board. You will have to clean out the jumper holes and replace the wires on reassembly.

I also might want to try a different op amp, say a TL052 or another very low offset dual.

That said, mine gets turned on every day and never a problem. It's been running for years. It has had the capacitor change.
idiotunderground
alesauskas wrote:
If you end up figuring out the solution to this, I would certainly like to know.

been so busy i never got around to even trying to fix this module! i will try to get on it soon and report back

fracmonkey wrote:
Another thing that causes this problem is kit builders failing to closely trim the switch leads on the push button board. These can short against the LCD board when pressed. This is mentioned in the manual.

Fixing this is pretty easy but first take a good look with a bright light. If suspect, then snip the five jumper wires and pop out the switch board. You will have to clean out the jumper holes and replace the wires on reassembly.

I also might want to try a different op amp, say a TL052 or another very low offset dual.

That said, mine gets turned on every day and never a problem. It's been running for years. It has had the capacitor change.

thanks for the heads up i will take a look at this as well
solitaryzen
Had exactly this problem a couple of years ago, replacing the op amp fixed it. BTW, have had problems with that same op amp in a couple of other Blacet modules (currently the buffer/mix/split module for the 2nd time).
e-grad
solitaryzen wrote:
Had exactly this problem a couple of years ago, replacing the op amp fixed it.

Blacet suggest to change one capacitor on the power rails:
Quote:
As a precaution, we are advising changing "CD" from 100uF to 1uF. "CD" is on the lower side of the power connector.

http://blacet.com/tech.html

solitaryzen wrote:
BTW, have had problems with that same op amp in a couple of other Blacet modules (currently the buffer/mix/split module for the 2nd time).

One of my two Hex Zone had a blown op amp other than that none of my my 30 Blacet modules had a similar issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1