MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TimeBuffer distance question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Author TimeBuffer distance question
EMwhite
What is the max distance that a time buffer connection can run; I'm asking about the 3 wire sync signal. I assume it is well ... um ... buffered but not sure how far I can reach; is 5 feet out of the question?

I have a uStep in an adjacent Euro cabinet but have to deal with the height of my MU rig (TB and STG Sequencers at the top) and the Euro stuff is below the desk and to the side).

Thanks.
Just me
It is a Sync 24 signal. It will go a long way. You should shield it if it is going long haul.
EMwhite
Shielded meaning, a 3 conductor cable with foil shielding within the pvc jacket, wire which is twisted pair or something similar to balanced audio or something else?

Do you have a mouser or digikey part number that you can recommend pls?

(thanks for the reply)
suitandtieguy
i don't know, but i'd bet it would go around the block ... maybe down to the post office as well.

it's a buffered 5v pulse train and the inputs trip around 2v i think. you'd need a lot of interference and signal loss before it became problematic.

btw this is one of the reasons i insisted on this instead of a MIDI signal. it's just plain bulletproof.
EMwhite
Thanks. Will let you know how it works out. I have about 90' of 4-conductor 22 gauge wire on a spool... Maybe I'll start with that just for kicks.
det3
EMwhite wrote:
Thanks. Will let you know how it works out. I have about 90' of 4-conductor 22 gauge wire on a spool... Maybe I'll start with that just for kicks.

I would love to see if and how that works for you. I know the drive strength of that buffer is really high, but 27.5 meters? That's a tall order for any signal!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Page 1 of 1