MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can Gates be non-legato?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Can Gates be non-legato?
sine
When Env is set to ADSR the Legato button works as expected, switching between Moog-style and ARP-style gating. But when Env is set to Gate the gate is always legato, and the Legato button has no effect. Am I overlooking something?
doctorvague
sine wrote:
When Env is set to ADSR the Legato button works as expected, switching between Moog-style and ARP-style gating. But when Env is set to Gate the gate is always legato, and the Legato button has no effect. Am I overlooking something?

Your question is a bit of a conundrum. A gate (as opposed to a trigger) lasts exactly as long as a note is held down. Legato playing by definition means no gaps between notes played. That means no gaps between gates either. So there is only one long gate between generated as long as you continue playing a legato passage. Nothing gets re-triggered because the gate stays high for the entire passage until you either release the last note or leave a gap between notes.

There is a really good article here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/synthsec.htm

The info in that article about priorities may help answer your question as well.
sine
Thanks for that, I did read it. I have to think about this. I'm confused about what's happening then when, in ADSR non-legato mode, Volta re-triggers its EG with every Note On--irrespective of held notes.

To make this more confusing, the Synthesizers.com Q104 MIDI-to-CV module sends what I call ARP-style gates. Here's what I mean: With the Q104 Gate out connected to Q109 EG in, the EG fires with every MIDI Note On, even if/while other notes are held down.

Good cover band, by the way. Very few can pull off G.E.L., as you did.
doctorvague
sine wrote:
Thanks for that, I did read it. I have to think about this. I'm confused about what's happening then when, in ADSR non-legato mode, Volta re-triggers its EG with every Note On--irrespective of held notes.

"Multiple trigger". A Minimoog will not do this for example as it is single-trigger, but there was a popular mod to Minmoogs that would allow multiple rather than single-triggering, since a lot of the time this is easier to play, especially fast passages where you want every note to articulate. Otherwise you have to leave a little space between every note and the next which is difficult when playing fast.

Quote:
To make this more confusing, the Synthesizers.com Q104 MIDI-to-CV module sends what I call ARP-style gates. Here's what I mean: With the Q104 Gate out connected to Q109 EG in, the EG fires with every MIDI Note On, even if/while other notes are held down.

I guess that would be multiple triggering then (like the modded Minimoog described above). To complicate matters there's also first, last, high and low note priorities. I don't remember what the dotcom 104 is but I remember I didn't like whatever it was and bought a MOTM 650 to replace it. That's more of a CV/note-pitch issue than a gate/trigger issue I suppose.

On top of everything it seems like 'gate' and 'trigger' tend to be used rather loosely by both users and manufacturers.

If anyone has any corrections or clarifications on this please post. I'm trying to help Sine here, but don't consider myself an expert in this area by any stretch. I still get confused about this stuff occasionally and probably should re-read that SOS article myself.

Quote:
Good cover band, by the way. Very few can pull off G.E.L., as you did.

Thanks! That was a challenging song to play live.

Cheers
Phil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1