MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ARP odyssey Calibration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author ARP odyssey Calibration
flopo
Hi, im no tech wizzard! but ive seen on this forum a few peeps who have managed to calibrate an odyssey...
im having no luck...
the leads are fine etc etc.. when i hit calibrate through the CV the pitch steps up about a minor third & then it gives up & says its failed....

its got cv/gate/trig inputs & also a filter input too...

i get a stronger signal when using the headphones...but not enough..! (828MKII)

any tips would be much appreciated!!

cheeeeers! (and merry crimbo!)

sam
doctorvague
flopo wrote:
Hi, im no tech wizzard! but ive seen on this forum a few peeps who have managed to calibrate an odyssey...
im having no luck...
the leads are fine etc etc.. when i hit calibrate through the CV the pitch steps up about a minor third & then it gives up & says its failed....

its got cv/gate/trig inputs & also a filter input too...

i get a stronger signal when using the headphones...but not enough..! (828MKII)

any tips would be much appreciated!!

cheeeeers! (and merry crimbo!)

sam

Hi Sam and welcome.
Are you sending a sine wave using only one oscillator?
Are the filter and VCA fully open during the whole calibration?
Are you for sure getting signal to Volta- i.e. are you in range on the calibration bar when you start calibrating?

Cheers
Phil
sine
Also, to confirm that Volta is receiving the Odyssey's osc: If you manually adjust the Odyssey's pitch you should see the red indicator in the calibration screen move accordingly.
Analog>Plugins
I've managed over 6 octaves with a Mk3 Odyssey and Motu 2408 mk3 but there is a few adjustments to getting the oddy to calibrate easier.

Make sure it's a single oscilator and set to drone mode i.e does not need a gate to trigger the sound/ always running. Chose a saw wave and try bringing down the filter a bit or adding a slight resonance. Basically mess about with the filtering of the signal from the synth.

I'm using Silent Way from Expert Sleepers but did have the Odyssey running fine with Volta when I had it.
flopo
ah! thanks for the replys guys!
tried all above, but wont calibrate using volta still.
the red bar does track manual pitch changes...(strangely, the pitch has to be very low for it to be in range...!)
unfort, oddy only has saw & square. bringing the filter down a little seems to help a bit, but it still fails calibration.

BUT! expert sleepers calibrates perfectly to 3.5 octaves!
i guess i bought the wrong software!

if i may ask another question,
what exactly is the difference between gate & trig... cos the oddys got both gate & trig inputs ? im not sure what to use to form envelopes ..
cheers & happy new year!
doctorvague
flopo wrote:

if i may ask another question,
what exactly is the difference between gate & trig... cos the oddys got both gate & trig inputs ? im not sure what to use to form envelopes ..
cheers & happy new year!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov99/articles/synthsecrets.htm
flopo
perfect!
cheers doc!
doctorvague
[quote="flopo"
unfort, oddy only has saw & square. bringing the filter down a little seems to help a bit, but it still fails calibration.[/quote]

Wouldn't the filter need to track the incoming CV? If the filter is engaged and not tracking the incoming pitch CV then once the pitch rises past the filter cutoff frequency the audio would drop out too far for Volta to hear it, yes-no?

On a different but related note, perhaps just giving Volta more audio, IOW use a mic pre or a module with gain or something to give Volta more signal? Some people are using headphone outs, for example, when available.

If Analog>Plugins got it going you should be able to.

Good luck
Phil
Analog>Plugins
Trigger just triggers the note, where gate sends and off signal so you get note on and off for the vca.

I think I'm correct in this, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think Volta works well for monosynths, Silent Way calibrates first go everytime. Maje sure you are not distorting the inputs to your soundcard, leave at least 6db headroom so it can get a nice clean calibration signal.

Send the gate from the headphone socket if possible and also the CV if your sound card is not putting out much voltage. I have managed now 7 octaves from a 2408mk3. Could get more if I used the headphone out for cv but I need both channels of the headphone out for gates as my synths need a lot of oomph to get them to trigger.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1