Combination MOTM / Dotcom Cabinets

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ach_gott » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Criminy that's beautiful!

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Nice! What are the modules in this row?

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 pm

bwhittington wrote:Nice! What are the modules in this row?

All of my modules are detailed here.

The first module is an 8 channel computervoltage source.

The next module is a 4 channel computervoltagesource. I made this as a replacement for my PSIM.

The next module is a 4 channel level shifter. I use it to shift +/-5 volt levels to 0-10 volt levels for the PSIM.

The next module is my PSIM. I've added MIDI, level controls, and a TTS256 / Speakjet to it.

The last module is my PSIM LCD. I first designed this as an external module using a 2X8 LCD. I later enhanced this to my CVS LCD module that John Loffink developed the PCB for.

The CVS and LCD were developed as a follow-on to the PSIM and is on a Yahoo Group. All of the design files are public domain except for the LCD PCB and source code. John Loffink sells an LCD kit and Bridechamber ran the first batch of PCBs. There are various videos of the CVS, LCD, sequencer, etc. in operation on my web pages.

I've developed a fair number of programs for the PSIM and CVS including a sequencer and several MIDI programs. All programs are also public domain.

One nice program for a simple CVS is a Kurzweil Ribbon controller. You can purchase a very nice Kurzweil ribbon and interface it with this embedded design or just use it as one of the CVS programs.

I also designed an I/O expander that can expand the number of analog and digital inputs for the CVS.

Dave
Last edited by davebr on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

REALLY nice Dave. Very classy.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:58 am

So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:14 pm

r05c03 wrote:So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?
Yes, the mounting hole spacing is different in both the X and the Y directions. MOTM modules are in multiples of 1.75" and Dotcom are in multiples of 2.125". Dotcom have a single mounting hole in the center and closer to the top and bottom edge. MOTM mounting holes are 0.25" from each side.

A 6U MOTM rail is only 0.125" than a 5MU rail. You might be able to drill both sets of holes in a single rail. You couldn't intermix individual modules because of the width difference though.

Dave

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Blank Panels

Post by davebr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:21 pm

I make my larger blank panels out of the same material as the rear of my cabinets. I usually have some left over so I just finish it while I am finishing the cabinet. When I add modules I just need to cut the blank panel down in width.

The 4MU of space looked blank so I made a 3" decal to put on it. I had bought some decal paper to make a legend for a Marantz front panel and had some left over. I printed it on a laser and sprayed it with 3 coats of decal bonder. It was pretty large so I was afraid it might tear when I went to put it on but it all went quite smoothly.

Dave

Here is a photo of the decal paper with 3 coats of decal bonder.

Here is a photo of the finished panel. I put two coats of polyurethane over the stain and decal.

tobias
lovesbacon

Post by tobias » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:16 pm

:eek: damn... thats the dream! I would love to hear and see a patch!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Using the same stained wood as the cabinet for blanks is the most obvious thing that I never though off :doh: .

Truly beautiful... nice midtone stain too.

janvanvolt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by janvanvolt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:25 am

Probably a bit off topic:
- i still got two CVS8 PCB here, so if somebody has interest i can sell one for $40 each (small production run, thereof the "higher" cost").

@davebr: excellent work !!!

Return to “5U Format Modules”