MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

amp simulators Pod and stomp boxes?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author amp simulators Pod and stomp boxes?
SPUDBOY WILSON
I am having difficulty understanding how Distortion /overdrive pedals actually work. I have heard some great demos using Tube amp with great sounding pedal
1.) KING OF TONE overdrive pedal in from of a DR.Z (tube amp)

2.)Barber LTD SR (special recipe) in front of a Fender Blues Jr. (tube amp)

what happens when you put these pedals in front of amp simulators?
( With no tubes)

The combination of the clean DR.Z Maz Z jr. with a KING OF TONE overdrive pedal was really impressive

so what’s the question ……will these cool pedals work with non tube amp simulators?
Kent
I'm not quite sure that I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot:

Distortion pedals simply take the signal and then purposely turn the gain up high enough to clip diodes or tubes (and other bits) in the circuit. When the level gets so high that the diode or tube runs out of headroom and can't keep increasing the gain in a linear fashion, distortion occurs. There are a number of permutations of this idea. There can be asymmetrical clipping or the clipping of MOSFETs or whatever you wish. This accounts for the many different sounding pedals out there to some degree.

If your distorted pedal sound goes into a sound card, then you run it into an amp sim, you basically doing the digital version of running a pedal into an amplifier. The Amp Sim will add its sound onto the distorted pedal. Try it and see if it works for you.
One thing that will be entirely different is the interaction between a real amplifier and the guitar since the front end of the 'amp' is a sound card.

I'm not sure if this is what you were after. If not, please reformulate the question and I'll give it another go.
Babaluma
if you're happy with going into a digitally simulated software amplifier, then can't you also be happy with digitally simulated software distortion algorithms? i dunno, but for me running a nice hardware stomp box into a digital box kind of defeats the point. maybe you'll come up with some cool sounds? me, i'll stick to real pedals and real amps. 8_)
hbc
Overdrive pedals generally cause clipping on the input stage of the whatever follows down the signal path. Clipping a tube amp's input stage will sound very different from clipping the input stage of an amp sim.

So long story short, overdrive into a tube amp is not the same as overdrive into a sim of the same amp.
SPUDBOY WILSON
thank you all.

that was what I suspected, the stomp boxes are really designed for tube amps.
Having had my suspicions confirmed I'm going to go sit in the corner and weep until i feel better.

DR Z is making a device to attenuate the output volume (to bedroom levels)
of amps.

I used to have a black face Super Reverb (4X10's) from the mid 60's and when it was around 7 or 8 the guitar would just sing, ( nothing like it) Really really loud
the guitar and amp combination was heavenly, but LOUD
hence the pods .....

and yes when considering that quality of the recorder that I am using my engineering skills and my need to woodshed a lot ,the problem really isn't my gear
ever once in a while I listen L.R. Burnside and Hound Dog Taylor and understand it's not the gear

thanks again
tuj
A really good trick is to put a pot or resistance mixer in the fx loop of your tube amp. This lets you run the preamp harder while keeping the volume down, and if you go the mixer route, it gives you a split for a line out.
SPUDBOY WILSON
well, thanks for the suggestions.

I realized that I can not under the circumstances afford the beauty of real tubes, because of the volume of mic'ing even a quiet amp, in my living situation.
the DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Multi Effects Processor arrived, I plugged it into my digital recorder, hit record and played tele, strat, and chandler lap steel.

the results were very satisfying. I am becoming more conservative at times,
and went for the old fashioned modeled amps Fender Tweed Deluxe, Fender Tweed Champ, Fender Tweed Bassman, Fender Blackface Twin Reverb, Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Marshall JTM-45, nothing snarling.
Honestly the gear sounded better than the playing, so woah
back to the wood shed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1