Did IDOW Work?

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

BMFRachel
1-Post Wiggler

Electronic Voyager: Retracing Bob Moog's Sonic Journey

Post by BMFRachel » Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 am

IDOW was great but I really can't wait to see Electronic Voyager!! Has anyone taken a look at the perks??? ? Hubba hubba :cat1: :minimoog:

ELECTRONIC VOYAGER: Retracing BOB MOOG's Sonic Journey

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm

One thing:

When you're going to be MRIed (spending an hour and a half lying flat on your back
motionless on a hard plastic bench with one arm clamped in a plastic vise and a
giant magnet going WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM at about 120 dB, IDOW is hard to listen to.

Basically I couldn't tell what was the MRI machine and what was soundtrack.... MRI machine makes one hell of a baseline, I'll say that.

- Bill (MRI sez "no problems detected". Yeah!!!)
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Thu May 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Now I'm wondering if we should add this to our FAQ?:

Q: Is IDOW a good idea while going through an MRI?

A: Probably not.

wsy wrote:One thing:

When you're going to be MRIed (spending an hour and a half lying flat on your back
motionless on a hard plastic bench with one arm clamped in a plastic vise and a
giant magnet going WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM at about 120 dB, IDOW is hard to listen to.

Basically I couldn't tell what was the MRI machine and what was soundtrack.... MRI machine makes one hell of a baseline, I'll say that.

- Bill (MRI sez "no problems detected". Yeah!!!)

sjbaines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbaines » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:43 am

I enjoyed the film, but looking at the size of many of the racks and then prices of individual modules scared me to death!

I appreciate that it is expensive to make niche products, especially those with physical controls, but that doesn't alter the fact that this stuff adds up quickly.

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:55 pm

I found it to be effective at convincing me that Trent Reznor sounds like an idiot when he's talking about synths and at reaffirming my belief that cevin key is just chill as fuck.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:10 am

sizone wrote:I found it to be effective at convincing me that Trent Reznor sounds like an idiot when he's talking about synths and at reaffirming my belief that cevin key is just chill as fuck.
Same :hihi: Reznor comes off like a tool, but I want to have a beer with Cevin Key.

My dad got me hooked on listening to electronic music since I was tiny, thanks to his collection of Tomita, Larry Fast, Wendy Carlos etc. on 8-track. He got me a beat-up Micromoog, then a DX-100, then a Korg DS-8 when I was in high school. In the early 2000s I got heavily into VSTs and have been making quite a bit of music since then, only starting to get back into hardware a bit last year and Eurorack this year.

I find that a hybrid and diverse approach -- software, analog hardware and digital hardware all working together, with occasional hitting or plucking acoustic/electroacoustic instruments -- is best for me. I just don't get the snobbery and purist perspectives from some quarters. :despair:

I got IDOW (the 96 minute version) for Christmas and watched it Monday. The historical perspective was interesting, and it gave me a much better idea of why I'd barely even heard of Buchla and West Coast synthesis until recently. But I was kind of glad my spouse wasn't watching with all the talk about how addictive it can get though, given how much faster I've grown my small system than I originally planned to :hihi:

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Lineofcontrol » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:06 pm

I loved the film and fully blame it and Dustin at Moog Audio in Toronto for my decent into Eurorack synths!

Although, before watching it I had hardware 7 monosynths for different flavours and I was railing against falling into the rabbit-hole of modular...but as Dustin pointed out...I was already there!

Modular made it easier!!! :hail:

I was at 6U for almost 2 years and over the past year it has grown to 9u and soon to be 12U. It's a sickness i tell you... :deadbanana:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/364929

try and imagine a blind man dreaming...Bret Easton Ellis.

Sold:
Analogue Solutions Cv2midi
Cylonix CycleBox II
Doepfer VCDLFO
Intellijel Metropolis
Intellijel uStep v2
Kilpatrick K4815 pattern generator
Kilpatrick KMidi
Koma SVF 201
Lightstrip LS1
Mutable instruments Grids
Mutable instruments Shelves
Mutable instruments Warps
Make Noise Function
Malekko VCO2
Synthrotek Dirt
WMD/SSF Mini Slew

cftbl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cftbl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 pm

It took me a while to find the hardcore edition of this (in the US), but for those interested, I found it at Synthrotek, http://store.synthrotek.com/I_Dream_of_Wires.

Personally, I find that both versions are worthwhile.

mek42
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mek42 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:34 pm

I watched the film on Netflix last year. It inspired me to take some electronic music electives, using zynaddsubfx (my first academic foray was with Mr. Goldfarb, who played a role in IDW - I should watch it again to see if I recognize him in the film). Currently planning to purchase an NS1 later this summer.

Not sure if this counts as "here" but am getting close. :)

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I think the movie is in part responsible for my venture into eurorack. Every time I go to bed after a night of wiggling I only see colored wires in my mind. Apropos title!

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 am

I need to watch it again! so good

SimeonPeebler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SimeonPeebler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:50 pm

I am a latecomer to Eurorack/Modular, and I ordered IDOW on DVD a few months back. Finally watched it with a friend and realized that I can use it to explain my modular synth affliction to friends/family by showing them this doc.

That way I don't have to modsplain, I can just allow them to try it out. Because pushing buttons and turning knobs and plugging in wires and seeing what happens is the human way.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm

I caught IDOW when it was streaming on Netflix, immediately went out and bought that version, then joined Muffs and bought the Hardcore Edition a few months later.

I grew up with music, and played piano and saxophone until I was in my late teens. I dropped it, for various reasons, and have regretted that a lot over the last decade. IDOW is mostly responsible for my finally getting back into music again; and is entirely responsible for the fact that I'm building a Eurorack system. I've always loved modular synthesizers, but the cost has always made them unobtanium for me. Finding out that there was a modular format I could afford that was just as good as the big rigs was seriously eye-opening stuff.
Last edited by luchog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm

mispost

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Great DVD, good to see Dean on there......he used to fix my analogue stuff when I lived in Ontario...
"Drowning...................not waving!"

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 pm

sizone wrote:I found it to be effective at convincing me that Trent Reznor sounds like an idiot when he's talking about synths and at reaffirming my belief that cevin key is just chill as fuck.
Yeah easy win.......Skinny puppy.....
"Drowning...................not waving!"

odonamon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odonamon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Watched it twice, first time I “didn’t get it”. Watched it again, now I do. Fuck. Gonna need a few more revenue streams for this obsession...

Think someone mentioned this but try and watch together if you have an on-the-fence significant other, sure helped me win an ally in this.

Looking forward to more documentaries and videos on this stuff! Crazy interesting!!!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 pm

odonamon wrote:Watched it twice, first time I “didn’t get it”. Watched it again, now I do. Fuck. Gonna need a few more revenue streams for this obsession...

Think someone mentioned this but try and watch together if you have an on-the-fence significant other, sure helped me win an ally in this.

Looking forward to more documentaries and videos on this stuff! Crazy interesting!!!
Patch CV Film is in the process of releasing a similar documentary, see this link:
viewtopic.php?t=212608

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”