MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Did IDOW Work?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Did IDOW Work?
southphillysynths
I was just thinking about IDOW today...

I got into modular just when IDOW was entering it's third funding phase. I watched the trailer and thought, I really hope they get funding and then forgot out it... I'm very happy that it came out and I got a pre order for the hardcore edition.

Obviously there has been much media coverage etc. about it since then and it seems to be reaching new people that are not necessarily in the modular/music scene at all which seemingly is the intent of it.

I was wondering how many of you are here because of it or perhaps made the plunge after watching it after it rekindle your interest. Has it helped spark interest or teach understanding to the people around you?
RecycleYourPets
It must have had some effect, considering how many people are making first posts asking for "noob first purchase advice" these days smile

IDOW definitely has inspired a number of people i know musically if not gear wise
thesnow
I think the documentary has many flaws and also pointless parts. as far as influence, I know it has influenced many people that know nothing about synthesis to get into eurorack modular.
rezzn8r
It helped my girlfriend understand hihi well, a little bit, maybe.

The theatrical cut debuts at Moogfest at the end of the month. It could be you're asking your question a little too soon.
botstein
While I had been using systems at school for years, I was finally able to come into a system of my own after learning more from the forum, IDOW, and just a few other great sources of information like these. I really like the film and have watched it several times. I also think Moog is a good film, but falls off significantly after the first 30 minutes or so.

I do not appreciate what I'll call the "character arcs."

Did they cut out the telephone lady for the theatrical cut?
What about the "modular skeptic" guy?
It's also totally unnecessary to have people in the movie arguing whether or not we're crazy or obsessed or purists - everyone can make those conclusions for themselves (and do).

My favorite bits were all in the second half - I really like the bits in Metasonix/Eric Barbour's sequence, Richard Devine's interview, Dieter Doepfer, etc... the bigger arc of modular returning to the market and the zeitgeist is probably the biggest strength of the film.
southphillysynths
rezzn8r wrote:
It helped my girlfriend understand hihi well, a little bit, maybe.

The theatrical cut debuts at Moogfest at the end of the month. It could be you're asking your question a little too soon.

d'oh! your right, come back in like three months!
nbirnel
Yeah it worked: I watched it and enjoyed it.
KnobHell
I actually loved it all! I think they did a great job. It reenforces the love, dedication, and interest I have in modular.

applause
Smokey
If their jobs was to make...

"...an upcoming, independent documentary film about the phenomenal resurgence of the modular synthesizer — exploring the passions, obsessions and dreams of people who have dedicated part of their lives to this esoteric electronic music machine."

then, yes, I think it worked.

Actually, I liked it so much that I bought the 9 disc, extended interview set. Less entertaining but REALLY informative. Morton Subotnick, Dieter Doepfer, Richard Lainhart, Eric Barbour, and Chris Carter gave really interesting interviews. I feel like I have a completely different understanding of synthesizers, the music and music instrument industry, and electronic musicians now.

It did give me some gear lust though... that side effect should be on the label.
eclectics
thesnow wrote:
I think the documentary has many flaws and also pointless parts. as far as influence, I know it has influenced many people that know nothing about synthesis to get into eurorack modular.

Yup, that's me. I've always been interested in modulars from afar, but reading the mfos site and analog days and mucking about with software was as close as I got. I've forgotten how I came across idow, but it was an insta-pledge.

Watching it made me realize that modular was attainable-- especially eurorack. So here I am, learning a slowly growing euro system and having a wonderful time.
kindredlost
I loved the video and applaud the makers/supporters, but it had no effect upon my music or instrument decisions.

I've been using modular synthesizers since the late 1970's so it was more of a curiosity like a historical documentary. Actually, I think it was weak at that aspect to some degree and was more of a valid commentary on the contemporary scene.

I do like the fact that it is bringing a whole new enthusiasm and fresh blood to the EM "industry".
s o l v e n t
Interesting topic, and thanks for the kind words guys!

I can't even tell you how many people have told me (me being IDOW's producer) that watching IDOW directly caused them to start buying modular gear. I've heard that comment at least 100 times, and many times it was from people who not only bought into modulars as a result, but who hadn't previously owned any hardware synth gear at all.

On top of that, I've had many comments from shops and manufacturers telling me that they've heard the same comment coming countless times from new customers.

It's really nice to hear, for sure!

The theatrical cut is going to reach a MUCH wider audience, and I'll be curious to see how much affect that has on the less initiated audience...

Jason
nbirnel
I started buying modular gear (after ~15 years of lusting) about 6 months before I became aware of IDOW. Watching IDOW was very entertaining, but I can't say it added to my gear lust. In fact, it made me a little more cautious about my purchases - I was disturbed by the size of some of those racks.

My five year old daughter watched part of it with me. Her two comments, repeated multiple times:
"That's pretty cool."
"That synthesizer is too big. We would not have room for it."
southphillysynths
Smokey wrote:

Actually, I liked it so much that I bought the 9 disc, extended interview set. Less entertaining but REALLY informative. Morton Subotnick, Dieter Doepfer, Richard Lainhart, Eric Barbour, and Chris Carter gave really interesting interviews. I feel like I have a completely different understanding of synthesizers, the music and music instrument industry, and electronic musicians now.

Where did you get that set?! screaming goo yo

Thanks for commenting Solvent! It has really meant a lot to me, and I hope that it just goes nuts after the theatrical release, I might have to go see it in the theater!!!
s o l v e n t
southphillysynths wrote:
Smokey wrote:

Where did you get that set?! screaming goo yo

Thanks for commenting Solvent! It has really meant a lot to me, and I hope that it just goes nuts after the theatrical release, I might have to go see it in the theater!!!

No problem, thanks for the kind words. BTW, to ask whether it "worked" ie did it get more people to buy modular synths... well, for the record that was not our goal. Our goal was to make an entertaining/informative/inspiring/fun/etc film about a topic that we felt was interesting (it's an obsession for me, so "interesting" is an understatement) / inspiring. Of course, it is great to know that the effort also has the effect of promoting the subject matter and getting more people interested in modular synths, but it's not like we have any stake in how well modular synth gear sells.

The DVDR Boxset set is limited to 50 - it was an IndieGoGo perk. I do have a few left but they're not cheap!

southphillysynths
oh man! I think I might need one, I have the Hardcore edition, does that have extra stuff?
s o l v e n t
southphillysynths wrote:
oh man! I think I might need one, I have the Hardcore edition, does that have extra stuff?

Yes it has full more-or-less-unedited interviews with 18 of the more prominent interviewees.
s o l v e n t
In response to the OP, I just came across this new review of IDOW:HE which contains the following:

"Fantinatto has a clear sense of how to film these machines, and the people who love them, in a way that makes them visually interesting, even enticing (I doubt I’m the only viewer who wished upon finishing that I had enough spare cash to grab a couple of Eurorack modules and see what sounds I can get out of them)."

http://dustedmagazine.tumblr.com/post/82920449167/i-dream-of-wires-har dcore-edition-scribble-media
adnauseam
Smokey wrote:
Actually, I liked it so much that I bought the 9 disc, extended interview set.
It did give me some gear lust though... that side effect should be on the label.

YES! Warning labels. All the way.

I got the Hardcore Edition -> I think this 9 disc set sounds awesome but I'm not sure I'd watch them all hmmm.....

s o l v e n t wrote:
I can't even tell you how many people have told me (me being IDOW's producer) that watching IDOW directly caused them to start buying modular gear. I've heard that comment at least 100 times, and many times it was from people who not only bought into modulars as a result, but who hadn't previously owned any hardware synth gear at all.

Well here's 1 more.

I'm on my way to having a modular set. 80% DIY (so much of it is waiting to be built)
wellurban
Seeing the trailers early last year helped convert me from someone who thought that buying a modular synth would be a mad gesture to fulfil a childhood dream into someone who started seriously planning and buying. Now at 18U and working on my next rack :-)
Elision
I just started looking at modulars and found IDOW, bought the DVD and now have unspeakable plans for learning more and having a bash at DIY.....it really should have had a health warning on the cover!

First post here......and can see a lot of evening's reading coming up before you'll hear from me again!
woodbank
Surprised there was no mention of Malcolm Cecil's T.O.N.T.O. (unless I missed it during tea break!)
wordswords
I watched it and now I'm building up a cheap Doepfer 6HP modular. So yes it worked smile Great documentary!
PhatKat
I'm still not into modular yet but it got me dusting off my MS2000 and ER-1 and making music again.

It also educated my wife as to the incredible range of sound a synth can make.
Siborg
I'd say it worked. Ive always had a major interest in modular. After watching it for a second time it swayed me away from getting into 500 series preamps and going eurorack instead. I've always been the kind of person who loves customization and after doing some research on these modules I was sold.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3