**VIDEO** RYO Optodist Overview

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

bodo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bodo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Great demo, great sounds, really nice flavor of distortion (which in general, I'm not too fond of, like some others stated).

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 am

cheers bodo it's really versatile. I'm using it loads for anything from subtle bit of colour of an oscillator right at the start of the patch to heavy distortion and clipping at the end of a patch. Having fun clipping LFOs through it, especially the E350 and mixes of the uLFO outputs.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

cane creek
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cane creek » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes great video, i purchased a optodist kit after watching :tu:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 pm

cane creek wrote:Yes great video, i purchased a optodist kit after watching :tu:
nice one, glad to see you've picked one up.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:37 am

After watching that excellent video demo , I want to build two Optodist (complete kits) Where can i find them? I'm in South America so either US or UK is fine for me.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 am

Cheers FatRocky :tu:

For the US I know synth cube had so,e. but a quick look shows them out of stock. You can get a full kit or PCB/panel from Thonk here - http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ryo-optodist/

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:33 am

i placed my order from Thonk
can't wait to get them
Thanks
:guinness:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:33 am

It doesn't look like they sell them directly from the Ljunggrenaudio website anymore - Thonk and Synthcube both stock kits along with some other Eurorack webstores that sell both kits and assembled modules

EDIT: woops I was a little late there...

cane creek
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cane creek » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:32 am

FatRocky wrote:After watching that excellent video demo , I want to build two Optodist (complete kits) Where can i find them? I'm in South America so either US or UK is fine for me.
Thonk.co.uk are selling them at the moment

Blimey by the time I typed the above there were 3 replys :lol:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:27 am

Yeah went a bit mental as we all went for that one at once. I know that RYO don't have stock at the moment so not available through their webstore at the moment. I imagine they'll re-stock soon though, but don't have any information to base that on.

For anyone that didn't see Ginko's suggesting for making a thumb piano style sound, check that out if you have spring reverb and an Optodist. Great idea, I'll have a video on it in a couple of weeks. The module overviews have taken over for now though :tu:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:50 am

ben_hex wrote:I know that RYO don't have stock at the moment so not available through their webstore at the moment. I imagine they'll re-stock soon though, but don't have any information to base that on.
RYO did say something along the lines of "we will close our webstore once we feel satisfied that vendors have significant stock to distribute our products" - they don't seem to have a store at the moment so perhaps this has happened?

MindSnared
Common Wiggler

Post by MindSnared » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for all your kind words about the Optodist and the cool patch examples, keep the ideas flowing guys :)

Yes, as Ginko says the webshop is retired in favor for vendor distribution, so far we ship to these vendors.
Roll Your Own - ljunggrenaudio.com

Kodama
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kodama » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:47 am

Is Synthcube getting a restock soon?

stabilt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stabilt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 am

Kodama wrote:Is Synthcube getting a restock soon?
As far as we know we are excpecting a new order from them soon.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:33 am

Sorry for mis-information with my ideas. I do remember the closing of the web shop now. Thonk has them in though :)

wellurban
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wellurban » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm

truckasaurus wrote:Well done! Thanks for such a comprehensive look at this module. I've been really curious about this one and your vid was super helpful. BTW, is it a relatively easy build?
I just built it, and it was my first bit of DIY (other than soldering together a few cables, jacks and passive attenuators). It's quite a densely populated PCB, so it requires some precision and patience. I'm afraid I rushed it, got the 2 transistors in the wrong places despite the very clear instructions, and fried one. Luckily, RYO included 2 of each transistor, so I was able to fix it all without trying to find replacements :tu:

Overall, though, if you're not a complete doofus like me, it's a relatively easy build with an excellent step-by-step build manual.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 am

Glad to hear it worked out alright, two of each transistor is a good move from RYO.

EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:26 am

Yeah, I found it a super easy kit. One extra of pretty much everything not too expensive.
Unfortunately guests came in as I was installing the last vactrol, and I put it in backwards :doh:
Luckily reversing polarity doesn't seem to damage them, so it's all good.
One thing I want to try though, is putting in poor man's vactrols a la noise swash - led pointed at a photoresistor. Fell like that would be fun :party:

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 am

I built one of these a few weeks back. I haven't done any electronics in a long long time so I'm glad it was so easy to build.

As a module it sounds absolutely great. Really nice tone.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 am

Mefistophelees wrote:
As a module it sounds absolutely great. Really nice tone.
Yeah certainly is pre filter, post filter, just on a triangle wave before other waves into a mixer, output, drums through it. Love it! Ginko has a great idea with spring reverb and a short triggers into the Optodist creating a thumb piano style sound. I've got a video filmed for that but no voice over (just notes) or editing done yet. Got pushed back a bit with other videos coming through first.
EarlyJemmings wrote:I want to try though, is putting in poor man's vactrols a la noise swash - led pointed at a photoresistor. Fell like that would be fun
That would be good, making a couple of up with different flavours would be cool. The LEDs changed out affect the limiter circuit too if I remember right.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 am

I got some amazing sounds by running the output of a delay modules through it (I think it was the Modcan Dual Delay)

I had a sound going through it which had varying resonance, and the feedback of the delay was also being modulated/ tweaked. You can see where I'm going with this - that's right, huge bursts of uncontrollable resonance/ feedback! (especially when the two things coincided)

Solution: stick the output through the Optodist! If set to a "sensible" - ie: non-distorting - setting, with the limiter engaged, the end result is some tasteful limiting. If you set it on the verge of distorting, you get some amazing, tearing distortion whenever the delay's output goes haywire....but, due to the limiting and clipping within the Optodist, the output level stays relatively static.

Great little patch, and one I recorded....so I'll upload it when I get a minute :tu:

VT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VT » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 am

Hello guys!

First of all - great video! made me lust for one of these :D

Second, I have a VCA question. Does this module behave well as a VCA?

My planned setup includes a Disting, a Modemix and a Optomix, all of whom can function as a VCA but are not dedicated VCAs themselves.

My question is: Can I add a Optodist to my setup and get away without a dedicated VCA, or do you think I desperately need a dedicated VCA in my setup? I really much like the idea of having multi-funcion modules.

Thanks in advance! :guinness:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:29 am

Hi VT

I'd say you would want a normal VCA that isn't something else that can just function as a VCA. That said the Optodist is fantastic! Works great as a VCA with the added saturation and distortion options. I'd definitely want a clean more basic VCA though. Luckily for RYO fans (I'm certainly one) they are working on a 4hp triple VCA module that's coming soon (if I remember right).

Feel free to message me to chat about your plans and set up anytime.

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

A 4hp triple VCA?! Well, how do ya like that? Thanks for the hot tip! :hihi:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:55 pm

cold_fashioned wrote:A 4hp triple VCA?! Well, how do ya like that? Thanks for the hot tip! :hihi:
Oh yeah! Here -
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ryo-3xvca

Return to “Eurorack Modules”